Thread: NYTimes says Obama overruled 2 top lawyers on Libya

NYTimes says Obama overruled 2 top lawyers on Libya

jamesoliphant James Oliphant
    by libertyspot
    RT @nytimes: NYT NEWS ALERT: Obama Overruled 2 Top Lawyers on War Power in Libya
    //

from another tweet, here is the link: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/18/wo...s.html?_r=1&hp
    Last edited by sailingaway; 06-17-2011 at 07:47 PM.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So, the Executive now has taken the Legislative and Judicial Branches powers...All hail the King!
    School of Salamanca - School of Austrian Economics - Liberty, Private Property, Free-Markets, Voluntaryist, Agorist. le monde va de lui même

"No man hath power over my rights and liberties, and I over no mans [sic]."

What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty.

www.mises.org
    www.antiwar.com
    An Arrow Against all Tyrants - Richard Overton vis. 1646 (Required reading!)

They are wrong. It doesn't mean he'd have had to scale back, it meant he couldn't go. Under the war powers act the president can only go at all with advance congressional approval unless there is imminent danger to the country. Obama's own words on that subject are in my signature.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Wow... this has huge implications...

We have all heard the quotes, so there is little doubt he knew it was illegal. But this indicates there was actual advice given by council that it was illegal, yet he did it anyway. That is a premeditated disobeyance of the law...

HUGE!
    Last edited by thedude; 06-17-2011 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    NYT NEWS ALERT: Obama Overruled 2 Top Lawyers on War Power in Libya
    Three, if you include Holder. More ammo for the lawsuit against the administration.

Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. supported Ms. Krass’s view, officials said.

They enslave, steal and murder with impunity. The impeachment process is a prestigious event; the mere threat of it is 'an honor just to be nominated'.

Move over Grammy, make way for the Scammy.

The man got a Nobel Peace Prize. He figured if he did it, it couldn't be war....

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So who's pulling Obama's strings? He's only the marionette to push the propaganda.

This is a deal between the money masters in the US/UK/France... to go above Pentagon lawyers and break laws? This was planned well in advance and the repercussions thought out. BTW, Eric Holder is not on the side of the law... he's protection for the Messiah. We know the false flag garbage in Libya...
    Last edited by HOLLYWOOD; 06-17-2011 at 11:23 PM.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Deja Vu...all over again.

http://www.informationclearinghouse....ticle11488.htm

John Yoo publicly argued there is no law that could prevent the President from ordering the torture of a child of a suspect in custody – including by crushing that child’s testicles.
    What is particularly chilling and revealing about this is that John Yoo was a key architect post-9/11 Bush Administration legal policy. As a deputy assistant to then-Attorney General John Ashcroft, John Yoo authored a number of legal memos arguing for unlimited presidential powers to order torture of captive suspects, and to declare war anytime, any where, and on anyone the President deemed a threat.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

President Precedent.

...in addition to [Attorney General Alberto] Gonzales, Federal Appeals Court Judge and former Assistant Attorney General Jay Bybee, University of California law professor and former Deputy Assistant Attorney General John Yoo, former Defense Department general counsel and current Chevron lawyer William J. Haynes II, Vice President Cheney’s former chief of staff David Addington, and former Undersecretary of Defense Douglas J. Feith—are accused of having given the green light to the torture and mistreatment of prisoners held in U.S. detention in “the war on terror.”

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...-indicted.html
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

I'm hearing neocon shills that supported Bush to the bitter end calling for impeachment. Hypocritical yes, but better to get ton the right side late than never.

This will escalate.

Read the NYT comments. Even the lefties are angry.
    Go Gophs! Go Twins! Go Vikes!

Don't Tread on Me

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Deja Vu...all over again.
    John Yoo... yeah he was the deputy that drafted authorization of Posse Comitatus in Buffalo, but in the end, FBI/SS/US marshalls and their storm troopers have enough weaponry to take on any US civilians.

http://www.sunjournal.com/node/42093
    Paper: Bush considered sending troops into Buffalo
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    John Yoo... yeah he was the deputy that drafted authorization of Posse Comitatus in Buffalo, but in the end, FBI/SS/US marshalls and their storm troopers have enough weaponry to take on any US civilians.[I]
    Yep, instead of giving the military Police powers, they have made the Police into military.

Obumpa.

WASHINGTON — President Obama rejected the views of top lawyers at the Pentagon and the Justice Department when he decided that he had the legal authority to continue American military participation in the air war in Libya without Congressional authorization, according to officials familiar with internal administration deliberations.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/18/wo...s.html?_r=2&hp
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 06-19-2011 at 01:31 PM.