Thread: Ron Paul tells Manchester crowd inflation will hit 50 percent (great picture)

Ron Paul tells Manchester crowd inflation will hit 50 percent (great picture)

"Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think it should be understood that he didn't mean that literally, he just gave an example of how & why govt likes inflation since it helps it to liquidate debt & borrow more & that's that.

I think it'd hurt Ron's credibility if a rumor started that he actually thinks that inflation will be 50% in the next couple of years, he'd never say something specific like that because Austrian Economics which he follows doesn't believe in quantitative predictions. I think this thing needs to be killed before it turns into a rumor & hurts Ron's campaign.
    There is enormous inertia — a tyranny of the status quo — in private and especially governmental arrangements. Only a crisis — actual or perceived — produces real change. When that crisis occurs, the actions that are taken depend on the ideas that are lying around. That, I believe, is our basic function: to develop alternatives to existing policies, to keep them alive and available until the politically impossible becomes politically inevitable
    - Milton Friedman

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Or Nothing II View Post
    I think it should be understood that he didn't mean that literally, he just gave an example of how & why govt likes inflation since it helps it to liquidate debt & borrow more & that's that.

I think it'd hurt Ron's credibility if a rumor started that he actually thinks that inflation will be 50% in the next couple of years, he'd never say something specific like that because Austrian Economics which he follows doesn't believe in quantitative predictions. I think this thing needs to be killed before it turns into a rumor & hurts Ron's campaign.
    I think it was a touch of hyperbole, but that he did not think it was unthinkable the way things were going, from how he said it. But the point he was making was that this was being done deliberately to shrink the impact of the national debt, but careless of its impact on the people.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

50% inflation is not unthinkable. Food and Rx medication is up 10% this year alone. Gas more than that. With all the hidden taxes, we are paying 50% of whatever comes in in taxes already. Medical costs are projected to consume 20% of GDP by 2019. People can't get by on 25% of what they bring in. This is unsustainable.

Real unemployment is closer to 20% and I see more and more stores and restaurants go out of business locally.

Welcome to the slow motion train wreck.

-t

I think Ron should fight fear mongering with fear mongering. Inflation could get ridiculously bad, and people should consider this as a real possibility. People should be very afraid of this economy. Somebody should point out the possible outcomes.

Folks, I didn't say whether we would or wouldn't have 50% inflation in the near future, I've just said Ron wasn't making a specific prediction in the manner the article is suggesting, he just gave a simple example of how govt liquidates debt thru inflation.

Ron would never get in the business of making SPECIFIC predictions like that, he's too smart to say something stupid like that, that's why he makes GENERAL predictions like for example that there'll be inflation & interest on Treasuries will go up, etc. which are a lot easier to predict with Austrian Economics.

As for "fighting fear-mongering with fear-mongering", it'd just makes him a liar like everyone else which he isn't & that's why he did NOT say what the article is attributing to him.
    There is enormous inertia — a tyranny of the status quo — in private and especially governmental arrangements. Only a crisis — actual or perceived — produces real change. When that crisis occurs, the actions that are taken depend on the ideas that are lying around. That, I believe, is our basic function: to develop alternatives to existing policies, to keep them alive and available until the politically impossible becomes politically inevitable
    - Milton Friedman

As for "fighting fear-mongering with fear-mongering", it'd just makes him a liar like everyone else which he isn't & that's why he did NOT say what the article is attributing to him.
    Pointing out the specter of very real possibilities is not lying. People are fearful of where our government is heading us and they've good cause to be. It would be a disservice to not plant some real imagery of what the possible scenarios are.
    Last edited by anaconda; 06-12-2011 at 05:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    Pointing out the specter of very real possibilities is not lying. People are fearful of where our government is heading us and they've good cause to be. It would be a disservice to not plant some real imagery of what the possible scenarios are.
    Look, my only point is that the article is wrongly attributing to him something he didn't say, & I've already explained as to why he wouldn't engage in making such specific predictions; he only makes general predictions because that's the only truthful way to go about it.
    - Milton Friedman

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Now, they've made a video with a similar title - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kR3l4E-Lms *facepalm*

This is misrepresenting what Ron had said.
    Last edited by Paul Or Nothing II; 06-14-2011 at 02:59 AM.
    - Milton Friedman

Try sending them a message?

Like I said, I think it hurt his poll numbers in NH. But like I said, as long as he never says it again, people will likely forget about it. Although, maybe that isn't the case, especially if he wins the nomination.

I saw the video but most of the people that read the Union Leader article didn't watch the video. It is the main paper of the state and certainly the main conservative paper of the state. Well, the headline mentioned the 50% number and it seemed that Ron Paul was at least somewhat serious about the number in the video, anyway.
    Last edited by Keith and stuff; 06-14-2011 at 03:21 AM.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshLowry View Post
    Try sending them a message?
    Did it but I don't know if they'll act on it, may be more people should message them. The channel is maintained by ronpaul.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    Like I said, I think it hurt his poll numbers in NH. But like I said, as long as he never says it again, people will likely forget about it. Although, maybe that isn't the case, especially if he wins the nomination.

I saw the video but most of the people that read the Union Leader article didn't watch the video. It is the main paper of the state and certainly the main conservative paper of the state. Well, the headline mentioned the 50% number and it seemed that Ron Paul was at least somewhat serious about the number in the video, anyway.
    Firstly, he did NOT mean it, he's just not that stupid; it was just an extremely simplified example of how government liquidates debt by creating inflation but I'd agree his wording was somewhat misleading (nothing new there I guess).

Secondly, I don't know if it has already hurt him or not, it's possible that people'd just forget about it but it certainly has a lot of negative potential if a big rumor starts that he's made such a prediction & then the media gives it air & then everybody starts believing something he'd never meant to say *facepalm* That's exactly why I'd already said a couple days back that we MUST kill this BS reporting before it grows into a monster; people ought to be told that it was JUST AN EXAMPLE every time they bring it up & kill it.
    - Milton Friedman

Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post
    50% inflation is not unthinkable. Food and Rx medication is up 10% this year alone. Gas more than that. With all the hidden taxes, we are paying 50% of whatever comes in in taxes already. Medical costs are projected to consume 20% of GDP by 2019. People can't get by on 25% of what they bring in. This is unsustainable.

Real unemployment is closer to 20% and I see more and more stores and restaurants go out of business locally.

Welcome to the slow motion train wreck.

-t
    it can easily be said that food inflation has already surpassed 50% over the last few years easily. My paychecks can say that easily!!
    2016 gop est business as usual, rules do not apply.