Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10 Reasons NOT to Homeschool

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Kids who receive abstinence only education are more likely to end up pregnant before marriage or get an std.

I can certainly understand why people wouldn't to send their kids to public school, though.
    i really dont think that kids who get abstinance only education end up pregnant more. it seems like there would be alot more pregnant teens at private school than at public school then wouldn't there? in private schools they generally only teach the basics about how sex and puberty work. i think kids are getting pregnant because the put too much faith in contraception, the rely on abortions which they then back out on, they dont have a good parent model to guide them, and they know they can use welfare and dont feel the personal responsibility of old times.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I was home schooled from the 9th through the 12th grades. Maryland is one of the most NSDP-esqe states in the union, at least where home schooling is concerned. I remember my mom having to fight with bitch ass unelected school officials over her idea of education ( she held a bachelors degree in education) vs. the BoE. We ended up going the ultra xtian route, and I'll never forgive her for it but that's another story. I had to home school in the first place because I was a "bad kid" I was exceedingly bright and was stifled by the constraints of my backwoods (literaly, as the school was 10 miles from any town...in a $#@!in corn feild) academia. I made up a clever rhyme one day and was expelled, today my mother and grandmother who picked me up that day say it was the funniest thing they've ever heard. Longer story short... I started homeschoolng with minimal support from my mother, worked strait through 2 full summer and fall sessions and was done with the books and was ready to graduate. When the time came the man in charge of the Xtain Homeschooling Group said I had to pay the 4th year because I had finished early. I promptly told him to piss off and dropped out and got my GED, and was enrolled in college that fall. all in all the DoE and their ilk love the indoctrination of our children and foam at the mouth when a free thinker challenges them to a fight they can't win. I chose to be free. Therefore I already won. Take that Gary Cox!
    Last edited by Luciconsort; 06-21-2011 at 12:48 AM.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by nicoleeann View Post
    i really dont think that kids who get abstinance only education end up pregnant more. it seems like there would be alot more pregnant teens at private school than at public school then wouldn't there? in private schools they generally only teach the basics about how sex and puberty work. i think kids are getting pregnant because the put too much faith in contraception, the rely on abortions which they then back out on, they dont have a good parent model to guide them, and they know they can use welfare and dont feel the personal responsibility of old times.
    I'm just going with what the studies say, they could be wrong as I was a bit surprised to find that out as well.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by reillym View Post
    Hahaha. Not one good argument in there. I can switch all of them very easily. (proof of a piss poor argument)

10. Skill development: A mother or father does a great job of teaching a child, even if he or she has now knowledge of the subject matter. It's works like magic. One person can do the teaching that hundreds of skilled teachers can do in the 12 years of pre college.

9. Lack of ability: I couldn't teach my own child - I don't know how. After all, anything meaningful in life can only be taught by those properly trained and certified to do so. (Didnt change this, it's true)
    LOL You've either never met a teacher, or are an easily offended one.

8. Financial aspects: We can't financially afford to homeschool. Without the school based health clinics, how could we afford to keep our children supplied with condoms and birth control. (Didn't change this either, birth control is necessary, ask any smart person)
    While you're asking one of the smart people, ask him or her if birth control is a topic to be broached with a child by a teacher, or a parent.

5. Close friendships: Who needs friends? Homeschool gives you two friends, and thats enough for anyone.
    As a child, all of your friendships were made in school?

4. Separation of church and state: As long as we keep church and state separate, then the more time I can keep my kids under the control of the state, the less time they can possible be under the harmful influence of the church. Yup.
    I agree that the state should not be in the religion business. But of course the state should not be in the education business, either.

3. Socialization: Homeschooling lets you stay at home all day! Explore the world and meet people.. as long as they are in your home.
    Maybe that's true for some homeschoolers. If I were a homeschooling parent, I'd take the liberty to regularly head out to the woods and to nearby cities. Far more frequently, indeed, than school field trips.

1. Class pace: Your kid can't do well enough on a test? No problem! with homeschooling, we can just give you the answers. (seen it happen)
    But of course this doesn't really address the point (that slower-learning kids are dragged along while faster-learning kids are held back) raised by the original column, does it?

Your anecdotal experience is of no consequence.

Edit to add: I was not homeschooled and am not presently homeschooling.
    Last edited by A Son of Liberty; 06-21-2011 at 10:09 AM.

7. Goals 2000: I want my children to learn all the correct stuff. Given how fast history changes, I want to be sure they are up on the most recent version.
    The Ministry of Truth will make sure you have the correct version of History.

Quote Originally Posted by reillym View Post
    4. Separation of church and state: As long as we keep church and state separate, then the more time I can keep my kids under the control of the state, the less time they can possible be under the harmful influence of the church. Yup.
    You just come here when you're bored at progressive.org, right?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

My guess is, "overly-sensitive/insecure teacher".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12