Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who plans on joining the Free State Project in New Hampshire this year?

Who plans on joining the Free State Project in New Hampshire this year?

Free State Project - New Hampshire
    http://freestateproject.org/

I would really like to see this experiment succeed and gain enough power to control the politics of New Hampshire. In order for the general population to take Libertarianism seriously, they'll need to see it in action. The Free State State project can provide that framework.

So. Who plans on moving to New Hampshire this year?
    ----

Ron Paul Forum's Mission Statement:

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    NH's biggest problem (re: the FSP) is the southern part of the state. Much like northern VA, it perverts the politics of the rest of the state. However, NH may be the biggest beneficiary of this campaign.

The biggest thing holding me back from a move to NH right now is their oppressive property tax. I'm staggered and frankly amazed that with all the large-scale goals thusfar achieved by the FSP movement, lowering or even abolishing property taxation has not been among them.
    "When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the system's game. The establishment will irritate you - pull your beard, flick your face - to make you fight, because once they've got you violent then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don't know how to handle is non-violence and humor. "

---John Lennon

"I EAT NEOCONS FOR BREAKFAST!!!"

---Me

I love the idea.

Ob@ma will probably declare NH a threat to the country and use his new executive powers to seize the state.

Er, not me. Although I reckon Americans should jump on board immediately.
    Please visit the Free Talk Live YouTube Channel

My twitter: @Samuel_E_Amer
    The best liberty videos on YouTube: Freedom

The Philosophy of Liberty
    www.mises.org
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

The Potential of the Free State Project

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    The biggest thing holding me back from a move to NH right now is their oppressive property tax. I'm staggered and frankly amazed that with all the large-scale goals thusfar achieved by the FSP movement, lowering or even abolishing property taxation has not been among them.
    There are creative ways of avoiding or at least reducing that.

www.mises.org

Quote Originally Posted by Crotale View Post
    There are creative ways of avoiding or at least reducing that.
    Well I did see that one video where Ian Freeman paid his property taxes in pennies. But I don't think that did much other than to severely inconvenience the clerk and hold up her line.
    "When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the system's game. The establishment will irritate you - pull your beard, flick your face - to make you fight, because once they've got you violent then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don't know how to handle is non-violence and humor. "

---John Lennon

"I EAT NEOCONS FOR BREAKFAST!!!"

---Me

We're working on it.

The best thing to do is get involved in town issues, make sure that the selectmen aren't writing blanks checks each time some cop, fireman, or schoolteacher comes wandering in, wheezing that they need a new 30 million dollar facility.

Also, be very careful about what town you might want to move to.

The tax rates vary wildly from town to town.

http://www.revenue.nh.gov/munc_prop/...elatedData.htm

It varies from $1 per thousand to over $30 per thousand of assessed value.

Most places are in the $15 to $20 range.

Which is, of course, $1500 to $2000 per year on a home assessed at $100,000.

Which, considering that you pay basically no other taxes on income or purchases, it's a bargain, I think.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 03-18-2012 at 01:16 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well I did see that one video where Ian Freeman paid his property taxes in pennies. But I don't think that did much other than to severely inconvenience the clerk and hold up her line.
    More than just inconvenience a clerk, it makes the folks working on reducing government seem more normal and thus more acceptable.

Where I came from I was pretty much the most radical guy around. Here in NH I'm pretty normal, especially when compared to some of the more "interesting" folks.

If you're into politics, there's a lot of towns here where you can run for local office unopposed just by showing up. A few years ago I was volunteering as a reporter for a local paper and I went in to the town office on a Friday afternoon to see who had signed up to run. There were at least 3 positions where no one had signed up yet, so I did. Easy win.

Getting on town budget committees is usually pretty easy, and you can have a lot of influence there.

I just moved to Idaho last year but i definetly will keep an eye on NH and if things continue and as i build up my savings and resume i will be heading there.
    Once more into the fray...
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day...
    Live and die on this day...

LOL No, but I think if you're inventive you stand a chance.

Besides, I would rather have my money stolen from me in the form of property tax than an income tax. The ideal though, of course, is no tax. You participating in the FSP could help make that happen.

www.mises.org

That ^
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Voluntary Man View Post
    NH's biggest problem (re: the FSP) is the southern part of the state. Much like northern VA, it perverts the politics of the rest of the state. However, NH may be the biggest beneficiary of this campaign.
    Southern NH isn't something holding the FSP or liberty in NH back. Property taxes in southern NH tend to be higher on average than property taxes in central and northern NH, because the people in southern NH want them higher. So, it takes more effort to live an extremely low tax lifestyle in southern NH than the rest of the state. The same is true for zoning and planning regulations.

When it comes to getting good people in leadership positions in the GOP or elected to office, it isn't any harder in southern NH, though. For example, Ron Paul won 8 towns in Cheshire County, which borders MA. In fact, the MA border area east of Nashua all the way to the ocean is one of the most Republican parts of NH. Lots of the people that live there are Republicans that left MA. They tend to not mind high property taxes and like suburban living (after all they feel, they live in the safest place in the US, with the highest quality of life and it has no general sales tax, no personal income tax and property taxes are less than what they were spending in MA.) When it comes to electing state Reps., they often elect libertarian Republicans. They would elect a lot more libertarian Republicans too, if more ran. Some of those towns pretty much only elect Republicans as state Reps. We know how to train you to win in NH. We have that part down. We just need more libertarian Republicans to get involved either with the GOP there or move there and get involved with the GOP. Having 90 or so libertarian Republican state Reps. is great but within a few years, I don't see why we couldn't have 150 if we just had more movers.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Have there ever been any Bigfoot sightings in NH? <----- potential deciding factor
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

Schiff_FTW

I guess it's all relative. Compared to where I live in CT the property taxes in most of NH are incredibly reasonable. Plus they don't have all the other taxes CT has.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    When it comes to electing state Reps., they often elect libertarian Republicans. They would elect a lot more libertarian Republicans too, if more ran. Some of those towns pretty much only elect Republicans as state Reps. We know how to train you to win in NH. We have that part down. We just need more libertarian Republicans to get involved either with the GOP there or move there and get involved with the GOP. Having 90 or so libertarian Republican state Reps. is great but within a few years, I don't see why we couldn't have 150 if we just had more movers.
    Are you a candidate or representative yourself Keith? You're quite eloquent and seem pretty well-read, you seem ideal.
    Last edited by Crotale; 03-21-2012 at 11:07 AM.

www.mises.org

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tfurrh View Post
    Have there ever been any Bigfoot sightings in NH? <----- potential deciding factor
    Um, yes. Lots.

www.mises.org

Quote Originally Posted by ZENemy View Post
    I love the idea.

Ob@ma will probably declare NH a threat to the country and use his new executive powers to seize the state.
    Or perhaps New Hampshire is the barn they are herding us into. Don't be surprized when the door shuts and you begin to smell gas. Just food for thought.
    Best of luck in life.

Moved right before the nh primary

Quote Originally Posted by bolil View Post
    Or perhaps New Hampshire is the barn they are herding us into. Don't be surprized when the door shuts and you begin to smell gas. Just food for thought.
    Remind me to carry armor piercing rounds. That should be able to shoot through the wooden doors, methinks.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Hoping to move there this year.

Quote Originally Posted by bolil View Post
    I've never heard such nonsense. Are you seriously trying to say that the FSP is some sort of agency of the New World Order? Not even Alex Jones is that kooky. Despite not believing what they claim to be true myself, I respect the truther-types in the R3VOLUTION. I believe that the infowars folk are important allies, and that they are on the side of liberty. However claiming that the FSP is part of a government genocidal conspiracy is complete bonkers. It's up there with those who believe in lizard people, that Ron Paul is a freemason/illuminati/Bildeberg member and that the government run by grey aliens which use mind control.

www.mises.org

//
    Last edited by specsaregood; 04-09-2012 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tfurrh View Post
    Yes! I live with Big Foot. LOL!
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    It is certainly on the "to be discussed" list when my wife finishes school in december.
    As it should be.

I think I'd blow me own brains out if I had to live in NJ again.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Yes! I live with Big Foot. LOL!

HEY!!!

WTF did I do?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

HEY!!!

WTF did I do?
    Nuttin' honey. You just have big feet.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

//
    Last edited by specsaregood; 04-09-2012 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bxm042 View Post
    Remind me to carry armor piercing rounds. That should be able to shoot through the wooden doors, methinks.
    Tanks and machine guns are legal in NH. Feel free to openly carry a machine gun but keep in mind that people may scream and run from you Heck, we don't even have any knife laws. People are legally allowed to walk down the street dressed like a samurai if they want. I wouldn't be surprised if someone called the cops, though. No arrest or charges will come of it.

While NH is a small state, there are still 100s of miles here. Unless Obama was willing to nuke Boston, MA, Albany, NY and Montreal, Canada, he couldn't destroy NH. Of course, every 4 years NH is the most important state in the US politically.

Last edited by Keith and stuff; 03-21-2012 at 12:07 PM.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    Tanks and machine guns are legal in NH. Feel free to openly carry a machine gun but keep in mind that people may scream and run from you Heck, we don't even have any knife laws. People are legally allowed to walk down the street dressed like a samurai if they want. I wouldn't be surprised if someone called the cops, though. No arrest or charges will come of it.

While NH is a small state, there are still 100s of miles here. Unless Obama was willing to nuke Boston, MA, Albany, NY and Montreal, Canada, he couldn't destroy NH. Of course, every 4 years NH is the most important state in the US politically.

Too bad that does not extend to the idea of groups of people freely associating with each other carrying said weapons.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast