Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Disputed: that USDOE (SWAT) breaks down family's door for defaulted student loan?

Exclamation Disputed: that USDOE (SWAT) breaks down family's door for defaulted student loan?

Video at link. http://www.news10.net/news/article/1...kton-mans-door

STOCKTON, CA - Kenneth Wright does not have a criminal record and he had no reason to believe a S.W.A.T team would be breaking down his door at 6 a.m. on Tuesday.

"I look out of my window and I see 15 police officers," Wright said.

Wright came downstairs in his boxer shorts as a S.W.A.T team barged through his front door. Wright said an officer grabbed him by the neck and led him outside on his front lawn.

"He had his knee on my back and I had no idea why they were there," Wright said.

According to Wright, officers also woke his three young children ages 3, 7, and 11 and put them in a Stockton police patrol car with him. Officers then searched his house.

As it turned out, the person law enforcement was looking for was not there - Wright's estranged wife.

"They put me in handcuffs in that hot patrol car for six hours, traumatizing my kids," Wright said.

Wright said he later went to the mayor and Stockton Police Department, but the City of Stockton had nothing to do with Wright's search warrant.

The U.S. Department of Education issued the search and called in the S.W.A.T for his wife's defaulted student loans.

"They busted down my door for this," Wright said. "It wasn't even me."

According to the Department of Education's Office of the Inspector General, the case can't be discussed publicly until it is closed, but a spokesperson did confirm that the department did issue the search warrant at Wright's home.

The Office of the Inspector General has a law enforcement branch of federal agents that carry out search warrants and investigations.

Stockton Police Department said it was asked by federal agents to provide one officer and one patrol car just for a police presence when carrying out the search warrant.

Stockton police did not participate in breaking Wright's door, handcuffing him, or searching his home.

"All I want is an apology for me and my kids and for them to get me a new door," Wright said.

News10/KXTV
    Remember this?

AF posted about Dept of Ed purchasing shotguns

WaPo reported on "why"

“The Office of Inspector General is the law enforcement arm of the U.S. Department of Education and is responsible for the detection of waste, fraud, abuse, and other criminal activity involving Federal education funds, programs, and operations. As such, OIG operates with full statutory law enforcement authority, which includes conducting search warrants, making arrests, and carrying firearms. The acquisition of these firearms is necessary to replace older and mechanically malfunctioning firearms, and in compliance with Federal procurement requirements. For more information on OIG’s law enforcement authority, please visit their Web site at : www.ed.gov/oig”
    They pointed to fraud cases and an "11-page document from the Department of Justice with guidelines for the Offices of Inspector Generals within federal government department that have been given law enforcement authority. It provides detail about firearm training is to be carried out and under what circumstances authorized personnel can engage in law enforcement activities."
    Last edited by bobbyw24; 06-08-2011 at 05:37 PM.
    ‎"dancing... is a healthy exercise, elegant and very attractive..." ~ Thomas Jefferson, March 14, 1818

They hate us for our policies, not our freedoms.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Omfg seriously?!?! I mean, REALLY?!?! SWAT for a damn student loan!?!?!?

Someday Monsanto is going to send their private army to bust down your door for growing illegal tomatoes in your backyard.

There is no police state. Nope!
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

Quote Originally Posted by belian78 View Post
    Omfg seriously?!?! I mean, REALLY?!?! SWAT for a damn student loan!?!?!?
    Yes and the kicker... after they steal and assets to satisfy THEIR pockets... they throw you in jail and then, we serfs/mundanes have to pay the $30-40K a year to house them in jail. WTF? This whole system is so ass backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitt Romneys sideburns View Post
    Someday Monsanto is going to send their private army to bust down your door for growing illegal tomatoes in your backyard.
    Monsanto, Cargill, Post, & ADM, Own/Control the Department of Agriculture/USDA.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

The red coats are going to learn not to treat people this way.
    Terminus tela viaticus!

Can anyone argue that we don't already have debtor's prisons?

Added to OP
    Last edited by tropicangela; 06-08-2011 at 08:06 AM.
    ‎"dancing... is a healthy exercise, elegant and very attractive..." ~ Thomas Jefferson, March 14, 1818

They hate us for our policies, not our freedoms.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Obama didn't pay off his student loans until he was going to run for President.

But then, a lot of rules don't seem to apply to him.
    Last edited by sailingaway; 06-08-2011 at 08:07 AM.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

its on drudge now.
    Terminus tela viaticus!

wtf
    2016 gop est business as usual, rules do not apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Carehn View Post
    The red coats are going to learn not to treat people this way.
    +1776

Federal SWAT team Busts into House over Student Loan Default

Acting on orders from the U.S. Department of Education, a S.W.A.T. team broke into a California home Tuesday at 6 a.m. and reportedly roughed up a man — all because of his estranged wife’s defaulted student loans. She wasn’t there.

Yet, Kenneth Wright of the city of Stockton was grabbed by the neck by handcuffed before he and his three young children were put in a police car as the officers searched his house, he told ABC News10. He said he was in his underwear the whole time.

“They busted down my door for this. It wasn’t even me,” Wright told the local news station. “All I want is an apology for me and my kids and for them to get me a new door.”

News video at:

http://bcove.me/tbq1yqhz

http://www.rawstory.com/rawreplay/20...-loan-default/
    Last edited by bobbyw24; 06-08-2011 at 08:35 AM.

Does he have a Fair Debt Collections Practices Act case?

"I hear them say 'Hit it', and I get ready to hit the door..." = hilarious! And very embarrassing for the federal government.

Make this viral.

Anyone here got student loans?????

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyw24 View Post
    Make this viral.

140,000+

I wonder if they'll save me for last...

p.s. i became aware how bad i fed up while INschool so please no reminders.

i really don't know what to do, i am a slave

Rodney Balko just put it on his blog (the agitator). It's on Townhall.com.

Good job guys!

Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    140,000+

i really don't know what to do, i am a slave
    Make sure that you get that consolidated into a fixed rate, if it's not already. If you've got a variable rate, when rates rise you're going to be in for a world of hurt.

One step closer to making the shooting start.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

Make this viral.

Uh , thank God , no.

I have some worth around 50,000. I guess I'll have to start paying on those soon...
    -Ancap-

Does he have a Fair Debt Collections Practices Act case?
    Its not illegal when the government does it, yes?
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

NOW can we abolish this "Department of Education"?

here is the line you were looking for.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No words can describe this atrocity.

I am far more afraid of our own police than I am of Al-Qaeda or any of those tribals living in third world countries.

Dept of Education , another UnConstitutional evil tax tick agency . Abolish it today !!

Quote Originally Posted by speciallyblend View Post
    wtf
    What? the? $#@!.
    when you figure that out, you become a domestic terrorist.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    Obama didn't pay off his student loans until he was going to run for President.

But then, a lot of rules don't seem to apply to him.
    That tends to happen with CIA spooks.
    "Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political & cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'." ~Isaac Asimov

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

There are various things that need pointing out.

1. If you're going to believe that the police can and should kick down the doors of thieves, well, why stop when the thief used the money to educate themselves? This is near the bottom of the slippery slope we're always warning people about. Most of the thieves that police attempt to kick down doors to apprehend have stolen far less than the amounts owed on these old student loans.

2. I hope this guy, when his wife got "estranged" from him, did get divorce papers separating their debt. That would make this 100% entirely the SWAT's fault, even if the police argues successfully that they had a right to kick down the offender's door. They didn't kick down her door. They kicked down his.

3. The guy probably didn't do what I mentioned above, because he sounds like a real mundane moron. All he wants is an apology. Really? REALLY?!?!? Your kids get to go through a "search," a quiet time-out in a squad car for SIX HOURS (it gets awfully hot around noon), and there's no mention of whether or not they were fed, given water, even given potty breaks... and an apology will fix it?

His "it wasn't even me" response backs that up. He'd be fine with his wife's door being broken down so they could snag her for her student loan offenses. He doesn't even understand what's wrong with his reasoning
    Last edited by MelissaWV; 06-08-2011 at 10:38 AM.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

So why the no knock search? Were they expecting the people to flush the money they would use to pay the loan, down the toilet?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast