Thread: Senate dodges Rand Paul's fillibuster, uses procedural trick to bypass Patriot Act...

Angry Senate dodges Rand Paul's fillibuster, uses procedural trick to bypass Patriot Act...

$#@! like this should be considered treason IMO...

Snippets from article below, read the full article at the link.

Senate Avoids Debate, Moves Patriot Act Into ‘Small Business Bill’

"Senator Rand Paul (R- KY) stunned everyone yesterday when he announced that he intended to filibuster the planned four year extension of the Patriot Act if the Congress did not agree to debate possible amendments."

"Fortunately for Sen. Feinstein, the Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D – NV) sprang into action, and found a way to prevent any such debate from taking place.

Instead of passing the Patriot Act the Senate has now slipped the entire extension into a “small business bill” which cannot be filibustered."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

We are deep into the police state. The idea that Senate leaders would not welcome debate from all sides about a bill that severely impinges on civil liberties is very troubling. I hope Rand goes on the war path on the cable news shows next week, and specifically calls our Feinstein and Reid as police state fascists and utterly un American. And throws in the Ben Franklin quote.
    Last edited by anaconda; 05-25-2011 at 03:26 AM.

couldn't Rand also do this, such as adding selective service registration repeal to this bill; Gravel used tricks like this to end the draft

its a thought... the proverbial
    divvil is in the small print details

Quote Originally Posted by RM918 View Post
    Shock.
    That ^^^

I'm stunned beyond words.../s/
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I want to punch someone, preferably Reid.

Quote Originally Posted by cindy25 View Post
    couldn't Rand also do this, such as adding selective service registration repeal to this bill; Gravel used tricks like this to end the draft
    I don't imagine they give unfilibusterable options to the freshman peon Senators.

Can Rand add anything to the small business bill so it won't pass? Like a "Reid Eats Babies" amendment or something?

I can't believe we let these BLOODSUCKING VERMIN speak for the American people. Reid, prepare yourself for the devil has your soul!!!!
    http://www.amazon.com/Theft-Sovereig...4206087&sr=1-1

For the last hundred years the fragile fabric of American liberty has been under siege.

Astounding findings by our very own elected officials have time and time again been suppressed to fall on deaf ears.

Read all about it in "Theft of Sovereignty" my new paperback 268 pgs.

I don't have any words... none...

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    We are deep into the police state. The idea that Senate leaders would not welcome debate from all sides about a bill that severely impinges on civil liberties is very troubling. I hope Rand goes on the war path on the cable news shows next week, and specifically calls our Feinstein and Reid as police state fascists and utterly un American. And throws in the Ben Franklin quote.
    He needs to go public in a big way with this whole thing. We have a sham of a govt.

Again, this is why the Mob rigged the Reid election. If had lost, none of this would have happened with Angle in place.

they are trying to add it to S. 990 The Small Business Additional Temporary Extension Act of 2011

Can Rand add a "cut off foreign aid" amendment?
    "It is not enough these days to simply question authority. You must speak with it, too."
    -Taylor Mali

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."
    -Samuel Adams

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by KingRobbStark View Post
    tsk, tsk. The Non-Aggression Principle frowns on such things. However, I think it would be schadenfreude for Reid to step in front of an oncoming bus tomorrow and go *GERSPLAK*.....
    "Democracy, too, is a religion. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." - H.L. Mencken

Μολὼν λάβε

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." - William Pitt

I never realized how much I hated Dianne Feinstein..

Dear Senator Dianne Feinstein,

I am absolutely sick to my stomach, I can't stand this anymore. Who are you representing, exactly?

http://news.antiwar.com/2011/05/24/s...business-bill/

I live in a very progressive area and I don't know ONE SINGLE PERSON who supports The Patriot Act besides my dad whose head is plugged into Fox News.

How does taking away our basic human right to an expedient trial keep us safe?? How does breaking the fourth amendment and spying on Americans without a warrant keep us safe?? You are endangering our rights, which is endangering me and I am going to do everything I can to see that you and people like you are never elected again if you don't change your ways.

Will you PLEASE step back and listen to Rand Paul, he is obviously a lot more in tune with progressives on this issue and with our foreign policy. If we want to stop terrorism, then we need to stop using our military to overthrow democratically elected governments and prop up puppet regimes in the Middle East to support the objectives of multi-national corporations at the expense of the sovereignty of foreign citizens. Why is that such a complicated subject? Why is that something that every lay person I talk to can understand, yet people in D.C. running our country can't understand such a basic concept? Where is the disconnect? Who exactly is pulling your strings?

VERY Sincerely,
    Last edited by dannno; 05-25-2011 at 11:00 AM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Dannno,
    I remember listening to KGO and Feinstein cheated Barbagalada (sp) out of the senate seat. I hated her from that day on.

Quote Originally Posted by Meatwasp View Post
    Dannno,
    I remember listening to KGO and Feinstein cheated Barbagalada (sp) out of the senate seat. I hated her from that day on.
    correction. It was the supervisors race.

Sigh... If only Sharon Angle could have won.

Quote Originally Posted by KingRobbStark View Post
    We can make some snowballs in my Vitamix blender.

Quote Originally Posted by dude58677 View Post
    Sigh... If only Sharon Angle could have won.
    Would that have made a difference? We'd just have some other puppet Democrat as Senate Majority Leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
    He needs to go public in a big way with this whole thing. We have a sham of a govt.

Again, this is why the Mob rigged the Reid election. If had lost, none of this would have happened with Angle in place.
    Wouldn't we simply have had one of the other puppet Democrat senators step forward to do exactly the same thing?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    I hope Rand goes on the war path on the cable news shows next week, and specifically calls our Feinstein and Reid as police state fascists and utterly un American. And throws in the Ben Franklin quote.
    Quote Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I never realized how much I hated Dianne Feinstein..
    My senator Feinstein is a real piece of work:

http://www.earthrights.org/campaigns...-rights-abuses

Rand Paul was so totally worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Red Leg View Post
    tsk, tsk. The Non-Aggression Principle frowns on such things. However, I think it would be schadenfreude for Reid to step in front of an oncoming bus tomorrow and go *GERSPLAK*.....
    Punching Reid wouldn't really be aggression. It would be futile but satisfying self defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by President John F. Kennedy
    And we must face the fact that the United States is neither omnipotent nor omniscient. That we are only 6% of the world's population, and that we cannot impose our will upon the other 94% of mankind. That we cannot right every wrong or reverse each adversity, and that therefore there cannot be an American solution to every world problem.
    I need an education in US history, from the ground up. Can you help point me to a comprehensive, unbiased, scholarly resource?

"Even with the extension, it seems very likely the Patriot Act will expire for a very brief period of time. The House must take it up and pass it - and President Obama isn't even back until Saturday."

I appreciate Rand's efforts, he made a noble stand and even though he didn't succeed in crushing the Patriot Act he made each of us as American Citizens freer for at least 3 days.
    "Where liberty dwells, there is my country."
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Red Leg View Post
    Sic Semper Tyrannis anyone?