Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Ethanol Gasoline will destroy your lawn mower, pressure washer, trimmer etc

  1. #1

    Ethanol Gasoline will destroy your lawn mower, pressure washer, trimmer etc

    I just blew up my pressure washer after the gas station replaced the regular gas with Ethanol gas.
    According to Briggs and Stratton ethanol gas runs to hot and will destroy the engine. It will also eat away at gaskets and other rubber tubing. Further more running stabalizer in the gas will not prevent the destructive properties of the ethanol and over time will destroy the engine.



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #2
    Every $#@!ing gas station in the US has 10% ethanol now. It is NOT more environmentally friendly; I can explain the chemistry if people want me to....all it does it make us more energy independent while chewing through our food supply (you need a $#@!load of corn just to make 1 gallon of ethanol).
    "It is not enough these days to simply question authority. You must speak with it, too."
    -Taylor Mali


    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."
    -Samuel Adams

  4. #3
    //
    Last edited by specsaregood; 04-22-2012 at 03:37 PM.

  5. #4
    Well, I found out that if you are near a boat dock that sells gasoline for marine use, you can get no ethanol gas. Problem is im not driving 3 hours to Houston to gas up my lawn mower.

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by robertwerden View Post
    Well, I found out that if you are near a boat dock that sells gasoline for marine use, you can get no ethanol gas. Problem is im not driving 3 hours to Houston to gas up my lawn mower.
    Try a local small airport (FBO)

    Yeah, the ethanol gas reeks.

    Up north is pulls the moisture out, until it becomes supersaturated and then precipitates out as water through the gasoline.

    That in creates sulfur and nitrogen based acid compounds to accumulate in the tank and rust it to $#@! from the inside out.

  7. #6
    In Oregon our gas has ethanol in it mandated by law.

    Some stations sell ethanol-free "racing gas" for small engines, boats, etc... for $15 a gallon.

  8. #7
    I never fill up at a station which has that E-10 sticker (10% ethanol) on the pump. You really don't get better mileage. We had that crap up in North Dakota.
    Indianensis Universitatis Alumnus

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by kah13176 View Post
    Every $#@!ing gas station in the US has 10% ethanol now. It is NOT more environmentally friendly; I can explain the chemistry if people want me to....all it does it make us more energy independent while chewing through our food supply (you need a $#@!load of corn just to make 1 gallon of ethanol).
    Don't use corn. You can only make 250 gallons of ethanol from 1 acre of corn. You can make 800 gallons of ethanol from 1 acre of sugar sorghum. And sorghum is drought resistant. Also when corn is used to make ethanol it isn't lost to the food supply. The leftovers make great animal feed. (Distillers grain). And you can make ethanol from sawdust which is a 100% waste product. Government subsidies for ethanol is stupid. Instead it's something to look at for individuals to become energy independent.

    And yes, ethanol burns differently than gasoline. That's why engines need to be modified to burn it. In the old days when everybody had a carburetor that was a relatively easy task. Now that everything is fuel injected (curse you embedded computers!) you have to have a "flex fuel" vehicle or go through a conversion process. I'm guessing small engines could be fixed using the carburetor method. As for the gaskets? If it's a small engine take it apart and replace them. Weekend project.
    Last edited by jmdrake; 05-28-2011 at 06:55 AM.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

    Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

    "I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

    "We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

    "It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.



  10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  11. #9
    But, but... its for the farmers!

    If one reads Rothbard's America's Great Depression, you will see the lunacy of that time alive and kicking in our time; public works, schemes of 'conservation', foolish counterproductive support programs, and massive government meddling much the same as what's happening today. All in a ignorant attempt to keep wages and prices rising at all costs. You can almost read right out of those pages exactly where we are and where we are going.

    Pg. 187 Prelude to Depression:Mr. Hoover and Laissez-Faire. read on...

  12. #10
    Briggs could redesign their engines to run on the stuff. And they had better, too, or they won't be around much longer. Because while I hope corn ethanol soon becomes a thing of the past, alchohol fuels in general obviously will not.

    And they do have advantages besides 'sustainability' and 'renewability'. Like octane. As in, alchohols are so resistant to exploding ('ping', predetonation, 'knock', whatever you want to call it) that one of them (octane) is used as the testing standard.

    And they work. If you don't believe it, watch Indy tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    There's not a liberty lover on the planet who isn't called a liberal by the right, and a con by the left.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I don't really care if I happen to be wrong about your positions, you are wrong about mine.

  13. #11
    Will ethonal destroy my generator??
    "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." —Jeff Cooper

    Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

  14. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Don't use corn. You can only make 250 gallons of ethanol from 1 acre of corn. You can make 800 gallons of ethanol from 1 acre of sugar sorghum. And sorghum is drought resistant. Also when corn is used to make ethanol it isn't lost to the food supply. The leftovers make great animal feed. (Distillers grain). And you can make ethanol from sawdust which is a 100% waste product. Government subsidies for ethanol is stupid. Instead it's something to look at for individuals to become energy independent.

    And yes, ethanol burns differently than gasoline. That's why engines need to be modified to burn it. In the old days when everybody had a carburetor that was a relatively easy task. Now that everything is fuel injected (curse you embedded computers!) you have to have a "flex fuel" vehicle or go through a conversion process. I'm guessing small engines could be fixed using the carburetor method. As for the gaskets? If it's a small engine take it apart and replace them. Weekend project.
    Hey, I guess you've actually been studying the issue. In my position I have access to a variety of experts, and Sorghum Bicolor seems to have the highest potential for biofuel we currently know of -- AND it's way less damaging to motors than corn.

    Mind you, getting past the corn lobby will be neigh-on impossible. Thank you Unca Sam for destroying viable biofuel.

  15. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by TomtheTinker View Post
    Will ethonal destroy my generator??
    Depends. Do some research on your make and model.

    Natural gas won't, and you don't have to refuel it if you have a gas line to it. It will require modifications to run on a gaseous rather than a liquid fuel. But it can be done, and is done all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    There's not a liberty lover on the planet who isn't called a liberal by the right, and a con by the left.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I don't really care if I happen to be wrong about your positions, you are wrong about mine.

  16. #14
    I found the trouble getting my chainsaws started was due to using Ethanol. Since I switched to non-Ethanol gas, they starts right up.
    Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

    Short Income Tax Video

    The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

    The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

    Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.



Similar Threads

  1. Recommend a pressure washer for me.
    By fisharmor in forum Open Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-26-2014, 06:59 PM
  2. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-22-2014, 08:59 AM
  3. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-19-2013, 12:52 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-15-2009, 07:14 AM
  5. Man Shoots His Lawn Mower On His Property, Faces Jail & Fine
    By phixion in forum Individual Rights Violations: Case Studies
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-01-2008, 05:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •