Thread: HuffPo: Rand Paul And Guns Stall Extension Of The Patriot Act

HuffPo: Rand Paul And Guns Stall Extension Of The Patriot Act

Drop a comment over there if you like to all the Rand Paul haters at HuffPo. Note also how the article makes it seem like Rand's main objection to the Patriot Act is gun stuff. The author doesn't seem to want to give Rand much credit for being a principled civil libertarian.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_867103.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They are trying to get progressives back. The progressives are, many of them, supporting Rand in this. They are trying to make it a 'gun control' issue to ignore that it means private records whether a gun is involved or not.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Classic. And we wonder why the constitution is being done away with on a weekly basis. These people don't even care to address the pillaged of the 4th amendment.

Rereading it, the article is fair I guess but I think they played up the "guns" aspect for the liberal audience (especially with the headline) so as not to give him too much credit.

no mention of Reid's deplorable comments invoking the Bush era fear-mongering either
    Last edited by jct74; 05-25-2011 at 04:40 PM.

Of course not. HuffPo is a hive of partisan hacks. No principles. Devotion to Party apparatchiks. It is the Democratic equivalent to Freepers.
    School of Salamanca - School of Austrian Economics - Liberty, Private Property, Free-Markets, Voluntaryist, Agorist. le monde va de lui même

"No man hath power over my rights and liberties, and I over no mans [sic]."

What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty.

www.mises.org
    www.antiwar.com
    An Arrow Against all Tyrants - Richard Overton vis. 1646 (Required reading!)

In response to:

First good thing this man has done in his entire life!
    Yes, but for the wrong reason.
    My comment:

In Bowling for Columbine, Michael Moore essentially proved that gun laws do nothing to prevent gun violence. It wasn't the main point of the film, but it was something to take away.

In areas where guns are highly restricted, gun violence is very high because criminals have guns and they know that law abiding citizens don't. The criminals take advantage of this and law abiding citizens suffer. No gun law is going to deter criminals from having guns, and in fact it makes underground manufacturing and selling of guns more profitable. The left needs to look at gun control more like some on the left (and right) see the war on drugs.. as a complete failure which only exacerbates the problem.

Our country, whether controlled by the left or right, is sliding into a tyrannical vortex. We may need an armed citizenry some day, and if you take away people's guns, or put all gun owners on a "list", I will guarantee that it happens.

The left really needs to start respecting the 2nd amendment.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Austrian Econ Disciple View Post
    Of course not. HuffPo is a hive of partisan hacks. No principles. Devotion to Party apparatchiks. It is the Democratic equivalent to Freepers.
    To be honest, I was skimming through and saw mostly positive comments.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Great response Danno

It would be nice if we could get some of the best responses to as many issues as possible and put them in a wiki.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa
    Liberty works best not because liberty is without responsibility, but because responsibility is part of the deal. Capitalism works best not because capitalists love us and want us to be happy, but because the more government you have, the more government they can buy, and if they have no government to buy then all they can do instead is compete--compete to serve us better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ʇɔɐ ʇoıɹʇɐd
    I heart BTC! - 1AesnP1c7wyjzJhaKZajkixo9tthZRQzjB

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    To be honest, I was skimming through and saw mostly positive comments.
    Rand is a genius. We all know he is against the Patriot act in its entirety. BUT what he has done by forcing the issue of this gun rights amendment is find a way to get republican voters on the side of stopping its renewal. He is a craft mo-fo that is for sure.

Paul's office did not return a request for comment, but the Senator told the Washington Post that, "They ramrodded me. ... We're going to get no debate and no amendments."
    *muffled laughter*