Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any Gardeners Out There?

Quote Originally Posted by Arklatex View Post
    Osan those are really cool! Do they still make them or is there a similar manu you recommend?
    As far as I know, they are still manufactured. Pricey, but probably worth the money. They are nearly impossible to wear out. The L-8 is an excellent machine with the added advantage of Kohler power. I say advantage because though the Gravely engines were superb, they are no longer manufactured. Gravely got smart and leveraged the dedicated manufacturing capabilities of a third party, in this case Kohler. Given the current realities of manufacturing, this was probably the sound decision.

One of the Gravelys I am buying has had the engine rebuilt and it is a beast. My friend in NJ got himself a tractor and is giving me a ripping deal on these two implements, so I cannot afford to pass it up. May trade some firearms in part. Can't eat my guns.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm so envious of those who live in tropical climates, when I visited Honduras I could not understand how anyone could possibly go hungry! Avocado, Mango, Almond Banana Papaya etc. plus 10 or so fruit I had never heard of grow WILD all over the place!!! Every 5 years or so there are so many mangoes and they have a problem figuring out what to do with them all! They just lie ALL OVER the place rotting and it's a real problem because a mature tree, and they are literally everywhere, makes close to a thousand mangoes I bet during this freak year.
    People go hungry there because they are lazy. Wife just went to Guyana to see family - says it's the same old $#@!. Lazy people not wanting to so much as cook for themselves, but they have plenty of time for booze.

I have no sympathy for these sorts. As you wrote, you can barely take a step without tripping over food. No excuse for being hungry in such places.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Arklatex

I hear ya Osan, people reap what they sow.

Also I forgot the tree I've most envious of that grows all down that way are coconut palms! Talk about paradise!

The good thing i've discovered about growing my peppers in containers is that you can move then inside during the winter and they'll keep making fruit. I find in about year 3 they'll still be alive but stop producing. It's cool to turn an usual annual into a perennial. People will look at you strange when you have fresh peppers growing during January.

Also I forgot the tree I've most envious of that grows all down that way are coconut palms! Talk about paradise!
    Coconut water is one of the most perfect things imaginable.

The good thing i've discovered about growing my peppers in containers is that you can move then inside during the winter and they'll keep making fruit. I find in about year 3 they'll still be alive but stop producing. It's cool to turn an usual annual into a perennial. People will look at you strange when you have fresh peppers growing during January.
    We grow a black pepper. They are fabulously good tasting, fairly hot, and produce like crazy. I have NO idea where they came from - they just started growing in our garden one day and being the sort I am, I was loathe to destroy them. The young peppers are an almost black purple, turning to bright red. Unlike habaneros, wiriwiris, and bird peppers, these things are the easiest things to grow. I just put about 50 seedlings into the ground. By fall we will be suffocating in them

We grow a black pepper. They are fabulously good tasting, fairly hot, and produce like crazy. I have NO idea where they came from - they just started growing in our garden one day and being the sort I am, I was loathe to destroy them. The young peppers are an almost black purple, turning to bright red. Unlike habaneros, wiriwiris, and bird peppers, these things are the easiest things to grow. I just put about 50 seedlings into the ground. By fall we will be suffocating in them

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post

Ever try any date palm wine or rice wine ? makes the coconut water very good .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Ever try any date palm wine or rice wine ? makes the coconut water very good .
    Rice wine, yes. I am not a wine fan. Now and again a glass of a good red, but white is utterly vile. Good sake is OK now and again. I am more of a beer, single barrel whiskey, and cognac man. I do very much like the Louis. Hennessy, IIRC, has a 120 year cognac which is hair raisingly expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by PineGroveDave View Post
    3 years ago I thought I'd try my hand at gardening. I built 2 10'x12' raised beds and filled them with topsoil. I've grown different varieties of tomatoes for eating/canning/sauce along w/ many peppers (I'm a pepperhead), tomatillos for sauces, squash, spinach, herbs, lettuce...you get the idea.

This year my wife and I have expanded the garden dramatically. I've excavated 2 large terraces on our back slope and have begun tilling getting the soil ready for compost and amendments. Once completed, we should have an additional 8 8'x4' raised beds. My wife has started a lot of lettuce, basil, corn, peas, beans...I forget the whole list now, but it's extensive. We've also planted 2 apples, 2 pears, 2 figs, and 1 peach tree.

We're certainly going to be busy canning and dehydrating come harvest time, but it certainly pays off I'll say that much. Nothing like eating your own veggies from your garden. It's amazing how much more flavorful homegrown veggies are than store bought (especially the tomatoes!).

Anyone else?
    Founding Gardeners: The Revolutionary Generation, Nature, and the Shaping of the American Nation
    by Andrea Wulf
    http://www.amazon.com/Founding-Garde.../dp/0307269906
    Knowledge is Liberty!

Quote Originally Posted by squarepusher View Post
    Hi, I run a small fertilizer business if you need anything Its mostly synthetics but can make nearly any formula desired (tomato blend?)
    I notice that Schultz no longer makes 10-60-10, which was outstanding for tomatoes... is it illegal now or something?
    Raise money for your favorite charity or school just by searching the Internet with GoodSearch.com (powered by Yahoo), or shopping online with GoodShop.com

Quote Originally Posted by squarepusher View Post
    Hi, I run a small fertilizer business if you need anything Its mostly synthetics but can make nearly any formula desired (tomato blend?)
    do u sell ziram, dipel, rely 280 and 1477? if yes are you in MI? I rather support a fellow ron paul supporter then a $#@!en mindless republican.
    Rand Benedict Paul.
    Not only did he sell us out, this douche bag did it to his own father! I'm more upset him selling his father out. I don't care who i think is going to win i would never sell my father out. If his willing to sell his father out what else is for sale?

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well , I replanted my watermelons yesterday and planted some cantaloupe . Had a terrible time with my bell peppers this spring . All the seed was the California variety and I purchased it all from the same place , I am beginning to suspect there is something wrong with the seed . None of it sprouted and everything else did .... . I went ahead and bought three plants . Tomatoes look great so far .

Yesterday was my birthday , celebrated with some steaks on the grill and a salad of lettuce and onions right out of the garden , tasty.

I went ahead and bought three plants . Tomatoes look great so far .
    My wife got a tomato and had me plant it. It got frosted, though it is looking like it might survive.

I have seed in the ground, and was just watering. My peas are starting to sprout.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Thanks for asking, and starting this thread, dave!

Prior to last year, my only experience in gardening (other than houseplants) was putting a radish seed in a cup in kindergarden, and transferring the seedling into the ground.

After attending the 2010 Freedom Summit in Phoenix (where I live), my friend Kelly and I gave one of the speakers a ride to the residence he was staying at for the event. It was Presidential Candidate and current President of the Continental Congress Michael Badnarik - a good friend of mine. During the conversation, Kelly asked Mike "What should we be doing right now?" to which he replied "You should be securing the survival of your Family."

I took that advice to heart - personally.

I put in a 4' x 4' raised bed winter garden with red & green looseleaf lettuce (Mesclun Mix), Buttercrunch lettuce, arugula, carrots, green onions, and some kind of bean that was supposed to be planted in the Spring (LOL). We ended up with so much produce, my family of six couldn't eat it all to where I was consistently giving it away to friends and neighbors (did I just incriminate my self? Marbury vs. Madison...)

I upped the ante for this summer, and put in four apple trees (two types of two each), three plum, one fig and one pomegranite tree, and six grapevines (two Thompson Seedless and two Flame Seedless). I counted 75 tomato plants the other day (Beefsteak, Roma, and Cherry) and three-quarters have fruit on them. Add to that cucumbers, eggplant, sweet banana peppers, red and green bell, habanero, cowhorn peppers, okra, pumpkin, cantalope, honeydew, watermelon, white and brown onions, garlic, and a dozen herbs (NO hemp - I'm a firearm enthusiast and I don't need unwanted intrusions from Law Enforcement, so I keep a clean garden!)

I have grown EVERYTHING from seed except for the trees and grapevines, and one Early Girl tomato plant I bought at Home Depot when I planted - which got up to 28 tomatos at one time, and I harvested about 3 to 5 a day while everything else was growing.

...and I did it mostly in my back yard in a major metropolitan city - with five of the trees in the front yard. What suprised me most was the amount of seed I got from letting a small portion of the winter veggies go to seed. I probably ended up with $80 worth of Arugula seeds, and about $50 in lettuce seeds - and that's not counting the onions that are seeding now.

I'm hooked! I never really liked tomatos until I tasted them directly off of the vine. The cucumbers were great, and I think I'm going to try and can some sauce I'll make with the romas.

Oh yeah - ask my 3 year old Grandson about "Grampas' Garden". That boy is a hawk at spotting ripe strawberries, of which I have a few plants of. Did I mention the berries? Red and Black Raspberries, and Blackberries. Too bad the Blueberries didn't live. That, and an Apricot tree I couldn't get to take were about my only real failures. But then again I still have the hottest part of the summer ahead of me, and 110 is not uncommon here.

What I couldn't do with a few acres....

Ed
    "Rights are like muscles; you must exercise them to keep them fit, or they will atrophy and die." - Ed

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    My wife got a tomato and had me plant it. It got frosted, though it is looking like it might survive.

I have seed in the ground, and was just watering. My peas are starting to sprout.
    We started with ten tomato plants , four frosted , but the rest made it and replaced three . Think I have ten bucks in the tomato & pepper plants , everything else was from seed.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Libertarian View Post
    Thanks for asking, and starting this thread, dave!

Prior to last year, my only experience in gardening (other than houseplants) was putting a radish seed in a cup in kindergarden, and transferring the seedling into the ground.

After attending the 2010 Freedom Summit in Phoenix (where I live), my friend Kelly and I gave one of the speakers a ride to the residence he was staying at for the event. It was Presidential Candidate and current President of the Continental Congress Michael Badnarik - a good friend of mine. During the conversation, Kelly asked Mike "What should we be doing right now?" to which he replied "You should be securing the survival of your Family."

I took that advice to heart - personally.

I put in a 4' x 4' raised bed winter garden with red & green looseleaf lettuce (Mesclun Mix), Buttercrunch lettuce, arugula, carrots, green onions, and some kind of bean that was supposed to be planted in the Spring (LOL). We ended up with so much produce, my family of six couldn't eat it all to where I was consistently giving it away to friends and neighbors (did I just incriminate my self? Marbury vs. Madison...)

I upped the ante for this summer, and put in four apple trees (two types of two each), three plum, one fig and one pomegranite tree, and six grapevines (two Thompson Seedless and two Flame Seedless). I counted 75 tomato plants the other day (Beefsteak, Roma, and Cherry) and three-quarters have fruit on them. Add to that cucumbers, eggplant, sweet banana peppers, red and green bell, habanero, cowhorn peppers, okra, pumpkin, cantalope, honeydew, watermelon, white and brown onions, garlic, and a dozen herbs (NO hemp - I'm a firearm enthusiast and I don't need unwanted intrusions from Law Enforcement, so I keep a clean garden!)

I have grown EVERYTHING from seed except for the trees and grapevines, and one Early Girl tomato plant I bought at Home Depot when I planted - which got up to 28 tomatos at one time, and I harvested about 3 to 5 a day while everything else was growing.

...and I did it mostly in my back yard in a major metropolitan city - with five of the trees in the front yard. What suprised me most was the amount of seed I got from letting a small portion of the winter veggies go to seed. I probably ended up with $80 worth of Arugula seeds, and about $50 in lettuce seeds - and that's not counting the onions that are seeding now.

I'm hooked! I never really liked tomatos until I tasted them directly off of the vine. The cucumbers were great, and I think I'm going to try and can some sauce I'll make with the romas.

Oh yeah - ask my 3 year old Grandson about "Grampas' Garden". That boy is a hawk at spotting ripe strawberries, of which I have a few plants of. Did I mention the berries? Red and Black Raspberries, and Blackberries. Too bad the Blueberries didn't live. That, and an Apricot tree I couldn't get to take were about my only real failures. But then again I still have the hottest part of the summer ahead of me, and 110 is not uncommon here.

What I couldn't do with a few acres....

Ed
    I am fooling around with a little red lettuce this year , but I think it is an Italian blend.
    Last edited by oyarde; 06-10-2011 at 11:01 AM.

My cantaloupe are sprouting .

Alright , looking for suggestions . My girfriend bought a huge cantaloupe at the grocery , maybe late April . It was full of seeds . I saved them , dried them out for about three weeks and sowed them thick in a row at the end of the garden , not expecting much. They all sprouted and are thick as weeds , probably three inches tall now.Should I thin them or just see what they do ? I have others spaced about right from some seed I bought .

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Alright , looking for suggestions . My girfriend bought a huge cantaloupe at the grocery , maybe late April . It was full of seeds . I saved them , dried them out for about three weeks and sowed them thick in a row at the end of the garden , not expecting much. They all sprouted and are thick as weeds , probably three inches tall now.Should I thin them or just see what they do ? I have others spaced about right from some seed I bought .
    Thin them out.

What I've got so far: Aztec black corn, kidney beans, black turtle beans, pinto beans, chickpeas, great northern beans, peppers, tomatos, eggplant, strawberries, 2 fig trees, 4 sea berries, a peach tree, an elderberry tree, raspberries, and blackberries. Also have two gooseberry bushes, as well as a few artichokes.

Right now I have eight coffee plants and nine grapefruit trees (all grown from seed), a vanilla bush, and a dragonfruit cactus.
    Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives. -James Madison

Hey gardeners!

My peppers (bell especially) are suffering from curly, distorted leaves and stunted grown again. Anyone successfully fought this? After last research, it's supposed to be a virus of some sort, transmitted by bugs from other plants. The plum tree has similar symptoms...
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Hey gardeners!

My peppers (bell especially) are suffering from curly, distorted leaves and stunted grown again. Anyone successfully fought this? After last research, it's supposed to be a virus of some sort, transmitted by bugs from other plants. The plum tree has similar symptoms...
    Exact same problem with my peppers too! Everything else is going crazy and I have over 14 types of vegetables. It's a shame because I love bell peppers!

On a positive note, just got my first harvest! Cherry Bell radishes nearly the size of my fist!

Last edited by Jandrsn21; 06-18-2011 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Hey gardeners!
    Have not had luck with Bell Peppers. ( not a big favorite) But did some looking.
    I'm guessing you have a type of fungus, (common) and there are some natural remedies here,
    http://www.ghorganics.com/page15.html

I am not an "anti-chemical nut", but like to keep any use of them to a minimum, so I always check for natural and cheaper alternatives.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison View Post
    What I've got so far: Aztec black corn, kidney beans, black turtle beans, pinto beans, chickpeas, great northern beans, peppers, tomatos, eggplant, strawberries, 2 fig trees, 4 sea berries, a peach tree, an elderberry tree, raspberries, and blackberries. Also have two gooseberry bushes, as well as a few artichokes.

Right now I have eight coffee plants and nine grapefruit trees (all grown from seed), a vanilla bush, and a dragonfruit cactus.
    What do you do w/ your sea berries? The first I heard of them was when dannno mentioned them a while back.

Yesterday , I picked apples , blackberries , cucumbers , tomatos and green beans . Ate some green beans last night . Tasty .

Pulled all of my apples out of the dehydrater today .

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Apple pie for Thanksgiving.

I have a couple extra yacon plants that need a good home. PM me if your interested.

Never heard of yacon? Check these two links.
    http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organ...mmy-Yacon.aspx

http://www.ourhappyacres.com/2009/11/i-dig-yacon/

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

I'm finally doing some vegetable gardening for the first time in my life, nothing big but I've actually got tomatoes, strawberries, bell peppers, yellow onions and okra in the ground and some corn going in tomorrow.

I'm also going to try and grow a big crop of cantalope, I've more time on my hands than I'd like so I'm going to try to grow enough to make it worthwhile to sell some at a farmers market.

I'm also thinking of raising some rabbits for meat, but I'd like to get with someone who already is first and learn how to slaughter them first.
    Ron Paul: He irritates more idiots in fewer words than any American politician ever.

NO MORE LIARS! Ron Paul 2012

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamC View Post
    I'm finally doing some vegetable gardening for the first time in my life, nothing big but I've actually got tomatoes, strawberries, bell peppers, yellow onions and okra in the ground and some corn going in tomorrow.

I'm also going to try and grow a big crop of cantalope, I've more time on my hands than I'd like so I'm going to try to grow enough to make it worthwhile to sell some at a farmers market.

I'm also thinking of raising some rabbits for meat, but I'd like to get with someone who already is first and learn how to slaughter them first.
    I had started a rabbit thread a while back. I still haven't convinced the Mrs.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast