Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 102

Thread: Any Gardeners Out There?

  1. #61
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Land of Indians
    Posts
    23,611

    Default

    My rabbits get raised in the briar patch out back .



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #62
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Land of Indians
    Posts
    23,611

    Default

    Sunday evening , I planted some more green beans , put some of my tomatoes out , a few bell peppers and green onoins , my red and white onions, sunflowers , lettuce and white potatoes are doing well. Next weekend , I will put out more green beans , tomatoes and bell peppers

  4. #63

    Default

    I have tomatoes and peppers waiting to go in the ground. Still have several frosts predicted before the end of the week, so that will need to wait.

    XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

  5. #64

    Default

    I rototilled for the first time in my life today, a ~20 x 200 sq. ft. plot I'm going to turn into a cantalope bed. I've got plenty of information so I'll figure out how many 15 ft rows I can put it.

    I have 72 seedling cups germinating with a half-dozen seeds or so each, I figure that will be enough to cover it.

    I also got the corn started, but I need a couple three more packs of seed to finish up the ~25 ft diameter circle I'm planting with it.

    Next week or so I'm going to get some framework to build a cover over the tomatoes and strawberries, they seem to be most susceptible to birds eating them.

    It's a bit of work, and my poor stomach is going to be hurting tonight (several abdominal surgeries, eck) but I feel good for having done it.
    Ron Paul: He irritates more idiots in fewer words than any American politician ever.

    NO MORE LIARS! Ron Paul 2012

  6. #65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krugerrand View Post
    What do you do w/ your sea berries? The first I heard of them was when dannno mentioned them a while back.
    Sea berries are too young to produce fruit. Should make some good juice or jam within a year or two.
    Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives. -James Madison

  7. #66
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Land of Indians
    Posts
    23,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamC View Post
    I rototilled for the first time in my life today, a ~20 x 200 sq. ft. plot I'm going to turn into a cantalope bed. I've got plenty of information so I'll figure out how many 15 ft rows I can put it.

    I have 72 seedling cups germinating with a half-dozen seeds or so each, I figure that will be enough to cover it.

    I also got the corn started, but I need a couple three more packs of seed to finish up the ~25 ft diameter circle I'm planting with it.

    Next week or so I'm going to get some framework to build a cover over the tomatoes and strawberries, they seem to be most susceptible to birds eating them.

    It's a bit of work, and my poor stomach is going to be hurting tonight (several abdominal surgeries, eck) but I feel good for having done it.
    I feel for you, my tiller kicks my but too, bad shoulder .

  8. #67

    Default

    I soaked in a hot tub last night so I don't feel too bad this morning, in fact I've already gone over the plot again, dug out the perimeter, and will hit it again later.

    Got to go get some more corn seed first though.
    Ron Paul: He irritates more idiots in fewer words than any American politician ever.

    NO MORE LIARS! Ron Paul 2012

  9. #68
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Land of Indians
    Posts
    23,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamC View Post
    I soaked in a hot tub last night so I don't feel too bad this morning, in fact I've already gone over the plot again, dug out the perimeter, and will hit it again later.

    Got to go get some more corn seed first though.
    My problem is worse , I have a bunch of corn seed and no place to plant it , and not sure I want to start tilling up anything more , but probably will have to for my Gal

  10. #69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    My problem is worse , I have a bunch of corn seed and no place to plant it , and not sure I want to start tilling up anything more , but probably will have to for my Gal
    I've got ~4,000 square feet tilled out of sod in really good soil, I'll have to go over it a couple more times but it's mostly done. I've also got enough room to probably triple this if I want, but I want to get my cantalopes in first. Just depends on how much I can make myself do, but damned if I can imagine how folks used to farm before gasoline powered equipment, that would be hard, not fun.
    Ron Paul: He irritates more idiots in fewer words than any American politician ever.

    NO MORE LIARS! Ron Paul 2012

  11. #70

    Default

    Only GUY GARDNER!?! :P


    "The bird or the cage?"-The Lutece Twins

    "A man chooses. A slave obeys."-Andrew Ryan

    "There are three things the parasite hates: free markets, free will, and free men."-Andrew Ryan

    "That every man may act... be accountable for his own sins in the day of judgment. And for this purpose have I established the Constitution of this land, by the hands of wise men whom I raised up unto this very purpose"- Jesus Christ, Doctrine and Covenants 101:78-80

  12. #71
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Land of Indians
    Posts
    23,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamC View Post
    I've got ~4,000 square feet tilled out of sod in really good soil, I'll have to go over it a couple more times but it's mostly done. I've also got enough room to probably triple this if I want, but I want to get my cantalopes in first. Just depends on how much I can make myself do, but damned if I can imagine how folks used to farm before gasoline powered equipment, that would be hard, not fun.
    Plots like I plant now , as a youngster on my family farm were not done with a small tiller usually , like I do now , my Grandfather had a team of two mules he would plow with ( for fun , not right , I know) , and we had an International A ( very small tractor ) that had a full set of implements that we used , we had slightly larger equipment for the large fields , I think you are right , not much fun really without gas engines, just needed , serious labor in order to eat.
    Last edited by oyarde; 04-15-2012 at 05:20 PM.

  13. #72
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Land of Indians
    Posts
    23,611

    Default

    I did plant some more green beens, bell peppers and sunflowers today , did a small amount of tilling , planted a tree for my Mother . Changed the oil in my Honeys SUV , that is enough work for a Sunday.

  14. #73

    Default

    I've got my plot well-tilled, raked and leveled and next will build up the rows along which I want to plant. I figure I'll have 5 rows with about 4 1/2 ft per row, each about 18 ft long.

    I'll work in some manure in the rows next, then mound it up, put down a cheap weed barrier over the rows and put down straw in between. Hopefully by next weekend the 72 seedling pots I started will have started to germinate, I may go ahead and germinate another batch just in case, it would only cost another 5 bucks.

    Also going to put up a bit of a temporary greenhouse over some of the other plot with strawberries and tomatoes and peppers and what not, to better keep them from flooding or getting eaten by birds and such. I'm splitting the cost for the material, it shouldn't be more than $150 total, but it should easily last through multiple crops of various veggies.

    I do have more yard I could till and would love to do so but I want to get what I've got going to work a bit first. Rabbits would still be a real cheap way to add tasty protein and I need to advertise around to see if someone can show me exactly how to slaughter and butcher them; if I can make myself learn this first then I'll do it.
    Ron Paul: He irritates more idiots in fewer words than any American politician ever.

    NO MORE LIARS! Ron Paul 2012

  15. #74
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Land of Indians
    Posts
    23,611

    Default

    Rabbits are the easieast to skin , I pinch the loose skin together at the throat , pierce under the skin there , run the knife down to the ass , peel out the back legs by hand , pull all skin up to the the head , cut the head off , slice under the ribs to the ass , open it , pull out all , rinse it out , soak it in a bowl of water , quarter it like a chicken with a cleaver.

  16. #75
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Land of Indians
    Posts
    23,611

    Default

    Of course , mine are already dead by shotgun ,hunted with # 6 or 7 1/2 shot , so , no need to dispatch them . I do not intend to feed them , just eat them.

  17. #76

    Default

    Rained last night, cooled things off. Weeded the vegetable garden, put in 8 okra seedlings, that's about it today.
    Ron Paul: He irritates more idiots in fewer words than any American politician ever.

    NO MORE LIARS! Ron Paul 2012

  18. #77

    Default

    'maters, bush beans, string beans, cantaloupe, squash, cukes all good to go. Peppers next weekend.
    Something, something, something...Whatever my rage for the day.

  19. #78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamC View Post
    Rained last night, cooled things off. Weeded the vegetable garden, put in 8 okra seedlings, that's about it today.
    In addition to eating okra fresh, it can be allowed to mature and used as an oil seed crop.

    http://m.extension.illinois.edu/smal...o_the_test.pdf

    XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

  20. #79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    People go hungry there because they are lazy. Wife just went to Guyana to see family - says it's the same old shit. Lazy people not wanting to so much as cook for themselves, but they have plenty of time for booze.

    I have no sympathy for these sorts. As you wrote, you can barely take a step without tripping over food. No excuse for being hungry in such places.
    Steak doesn't grow on trees

    HTH
    Rev9
    Drain the swamp - BIG DOG
    'R3volution - Don't Tread On Me' - 3D Animation Music Video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYhijuMZYv0
    Art portfolio site
    http://www.libertyeditions.com/

  21. #80

    Default

    The yacon plants have found homes. Thanks for the interest shown.

    XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

  22. #81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamC View Post
    I've got my plot well-tilled, raked and leveled and next will build up the rows along which I want to plant. I figure I'll have 5 rows with about 4 1/2 ft per row, each about 18 ft long.

    I'll work in some manure in the rows next, then mound it up, put down a cheap weed barrier over the rows and put down straw in between. Hopefully by next weekend the 72 seedling pots I started will have started to germinate, I may go ahead and germinate another batch just in case, it would only cost another 5 bucks.

    Also going to put up a bit of a temporary greenhouse over some of the other plot with strawberries and tomatoes and peppers and what not, to better keep them from flooding or getting eaten by birds and such. I'm splitting the cost for the material, it shouldn't be more than $150 total, but it should easily last through multiple crops of various veggies.

    I do have more yard I could till and would love to do so but I want to get what I've got going to work a bit first. Rabbits would still be a real cheap way to add tasty protein and I need to advertise around to see if someone can show me exactly how to slaughter and butcher them; if I can make myself learn this first then I'll do it.
    My experience in our yard is you may actually be growing rabbits and not the vegitables you think.

    Small game hunting would be relatively easy around here.

  23. #82
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Land of Indians
    Posts
    23,611

    Default

    Tasty

  24. #83

    Default

    I need some help. Every year I rototiller six rows of ground which is surrounded by grass (and grass grows up in the previously rototilled rows, before i rototiller it). I plant pumpkin seeds and usually get a good amount of beautiful pumpkins. The problem is I get other plants growing up around with the pumpkins, and I'm assuming it is because all i do is rototill it, i don't spray anything. So, is there any kind of spray that I can use to kill the plants/grass before i rototill the rows so they don't come back when the pumpkins are planted?

    Thanks for any advice.
    No more IRS.
    I am now old enough to vote.

  25. #84

    Default

    Got cucumbers planted, trellis up.

    Maxed out to ALL of Ron Paul's campaigns.

    Listen to Liberty Tree Radio! ::

    Pro-Liberty, Pro-Gun, Pro-Militia Radio 5 days a week, 10 LIVE HRS TALK RADIO PER DAY!

    http://www.libertytreeradio.4mg.com

    http://www.themicroeffect.com (8A - 11A EST daily)

    http://www.live365.com/stations/edtheak47 (3 PM- 9 PM EST daily)


    Organize, Arm, Equip, and Train as a Militia !


  26. #85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2young2vote View Post
    I need some help. Every year I rototiller six rows of ground which is surrounded by grass (and grass grows up in the previously rototilled rows, before i rototiller it). I plant pumpkin seeds and usually get a good amount of beautiful pumpkins. The problem is I get other plants growing up around with the pumpkins, and I'm assuming it is because all i do is rototill it, i don't spray anything. So, is there any kind of spray that I can use to kill the plants/grass before i rototill the rows so they don't come back when the pumpkins are planted?

    Thanks for any advice.
    The reason you are having more plants and grass come up in previously rototilled rows is because the bed is not planted with something else that would be more of a benefit for ya. So the weeds and grass see the space and think, "virgin ground!". The tilling itself is compacting the subsoil, bringing your "weed seed bank" up to the service so that they have access to light and are germinating. And grass loves nice soft fluffy tilled soil. If you start spraying, you'll get even deeper into this cycle.

    A possible solution that I would use if I were in your shoes would be to cover the soil with black plastic sheeting for about a week during sunny weather (which will kill all plants/seeds under the first 6 inches or so of soil). Make sure you weigh down the plastic over the beds so it doesn't blow off with the wind. You'll still need to pull some occasional weeds by hand over the course of your season, but this will significantly reduce your labor.

    Instead of tilling the soil every season, you might consider planting a living mulch such as hairy vetch (after you use the black plastic to kill everything else), and just keep it trimmed down. This chokes out the weeds and improves mineral uptake for your plants at the same time. You can then move or pull some of the vetch (which grows like a net above the soil) whenever you want to plant something.

    I wouldn't advise tilling the soil after using the black plastic because you will bring more weed seeds up to the soil, and kill earthworms that will be attracted by the warmth of the black plastic. Earthworms are great for living in garden beds but they learn to fear tillers and other chemicals that can kill them. The worm juice and castings that they release into the soil is something that you want to encourage. Garden plants really respond to that stuff, much better than synthetic fertilizer.

    See my picture above for what living mulch looks like in a cucumber bed.
    Last edited by pacelli; 04-30-2012 at 06:09 AM.
    Maxed out to ALL of Ron Paul's campaigns.

    Listen to Liberty Tree Radio! ::

    Pro-Liberty, Pro-Gun, Pro-Militia Radio 5 days a week, 10 LIVE HRS TALK RADIO PER DAY!

    http://www.libertytreeradio.4mg.com

    http://www.themicroeffect.com (8A - 11A EST daily)

    http://www.live365.com/stations/edtheak47 (3 PM- 9 PM EST daily)


    Organize, Arm, Equip, and Train as a Militia !


  27. #86

    Default

    Me and my wife just started our first real garden. Corn, beans, peas, tomatoes, peppers, squash, lettuce. They only thing we have grown before was tomatoes and peppers. Kind of hope we aren't getting in over our head, LOL. Even thinking of getting a few hens for the eggs and free garden manure, if the city allows us. Any pointers for a noobie backyard farmer?

    Edit: BTW I realize it might be a little late to start the garden but we live on the gulf coast and it stays pretty warm here pretty late into the year. On the packages it says we should be good to grow at this time still based on our location.
    Last edited by xFiFtyOnE; 05-07-2012 at 07:24 AM.
    Click here for a free copper round. Every three people you get signed up, you get another free round! NO PURCHASE NECESSARY!

  28. #87
    Lone Coyote ClydeCoulter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Here, for a little while longer
    Posts
    9,431
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I use a 30x40' area just for spices and herbs. Most of them are heiloom, so they spread and have to be kept in check. I even grow horehound, very bitter but good for coughs and the like. Also hyssop, makes a good tea and the bees love the profuse little blue flowers (wish I could get some of that honey). Catnip, Lemon balm, Italian spices, sage, etc. Fresh spices and herbs are really flavorfull also.
    Remember that bees, wasps and many other insects are a good thing for your garden.
    The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

    While it is a shame what has been inherited, to simply give up in frustration, (...), is not an acceptable answer... at least for me. ~ kcchiefs6465

    Whips and carrots, thats their economic model. ~ Henry Roque

    No the difference is when we get screwed we don't allow the opportunity to present itself again. It's called learning from mistakes. ~ Kathy88

  29. #88
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Land of Indians
    Posts
    23,611

    Default

    I picked some raspberries Sun .

  30. #89
    Untimely ripped fisharmor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Location! Location!
    Posts
    6,536

    Default

    Saturday I harvested from our one Apricot tree and got enough for about 3lbs of dried apricots, a pie, a crisp, fresh fruit for lunches for a week, snacks for the girls for a week, enough to give 3-6 to each neighbor, and at least 10% back in the compost because I didn't spray them again and stuff was living in them.
    One tree, and it's only 3 years old.
    This year I'm going to germinate pits, because apricots and peaches apparently grow close to parent form, unlike apples and oranges.
    Trees FTW!

    I only need about 50 sq ft for herbs. I also have this year brussels sprouts, beets, parsnips, red lettuce.
    I had strawberries but the deer got 'em. They also took out half of my sunflowers.
    Now I'm going out every night before bed and peeing all over the yard. The occasional air pellet in the ass helps too.

    I'm going, hell or high water, to get gourds next year. I think the trick is to plant the seeds in late fall - they always seem to grow great in my compost bin, but never where I actually plant them. So I'm going to bury raw kitchen scraps where I want them and throw seeds in there.

    I sometimes wonder what I'd do if I had more than a quarter acre....
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

  31. #90
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Land of Indians
    Posts
    23,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Saturday I harvested from our one Apricot tree and got enough for about 3lbs of dried apricots, a pie, a crisp, fresh fruit for lunches for a week, snacks for the girls for a week, enough to give 3-6 to each neighbor, and at least 10% back in the compost because I didn't spray them again and stuff was living in them.
    One tree, and it's only 3 years old.
    This year I'm going to germinate pits, because apricots and peaches apparently grow close to parent form, unlike apples and oranges.
    Trees FTW!

    I only need about 50 sq ft for herbs. I also have this year brussels sprouts, beets, parsnips, red lettuce.
    I had strawberries but the deer got 'em. They also took out half of my sunflowers.
    Now I'm going out every night before bed and peeing all over the yard. The occasional air pellet in the ass helps too.

    I'm going, hell or high water, to get gourds next year. I think the trick is to plant the seeds in late fall - they always seem to grow great in my compost bin, but never where I actually plant them. So I'm going to bury raw kitchen scraps where I want them and throw seeds in there.

    I sometimes wonder what I'd do if I had more than a quarter acre....
    You should have more than a quarter acre , when I was younger , I once had a house on the outskirts of town , ( last house before it turned to farmland ) , it was a half acre lot with a small three bedroom , two bath ranch home , no garage , three small out buildings and a driveway ( gravel three cars wide and deep ) but , enough room for a nice garden.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast




« Previous Thread | Next Thread »


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •