Thread: Yougov/Economist poll has Romney close behind Obama, Ron 12 pts back, Gingrich 16 pts back

Yougov/Economist poll has Romney close behind Obama, Ron 12 pts back, Gingrich 16 pts back

http://cdn.yougov.com/downloads/rele...onToplines.pdf

41. Thinking ahead to the 2012 presidential election, who do you think you would vote for if
    you had the following choices...

Who do you think you would vote for if it were a contest between Barack Obama and
    Mitt Romney? Asked of one third of registered voters
    Barack Obama . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 45%
    Mitt Romney . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 42%
    Not sure . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 13%

42. Who do you think you would vote for if it were a contest between Barack Obama and Ron
    Paul? Asked of one third of registered voters
    Barack Obama . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 48%
    Ron Paul . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 36%
    Not sure . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 16%

43. Who do you think you would vote for if it were a contest between Barack Obama and Newt
    Gingrich? Asked of one third of registered voters
    Barack Obama . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 51%
    Newt Gingrich . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 35%
    Not sure . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 15%
    I don't know if this was a push poll or what, there was all this questioning on the status of the US in the world first....before they got to the presidential candidates. Also, only asking 1/3 of voters makes the accuracy kinda iffy....

60% want to decrease forces in Afghanistan....

and 74% say we will eventually 'withdraw troops without winning'.

also there weer 21 questions 'not reported'.
    Last edited by sailingaway; 05-22-2011 at 09:01 AM.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Edit: disregard this here post.
    Last edited by McBell; 05-22-2011 at 01:37 AM.

It is the Economist; that is why most of the questions focus on foreign policy, like the magazine does.
    Interested in politics? Check out Red Racing Horses for daily updates on electoral politics, redistricting, and the presidential campaigns.

where do you get Ron Paul being 8pts behind? According to this poll the Obama/Candidate spread is

Romney 3pts

Ron Paul 12pts (also notice the higher number of undecided voters)

Gingrich 16pts
    Alex Merced - A Champion of Freedom
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

HAYEKFORUMS.COM
    - Economics and Philosophy Discussion and Debate

ALEXMERCEDFORUMS.COM
    - Libertarian Community and Discussion

Donate to Help Alex Merced promote Liberty Full Time

FACEBOOK PAGES YOU SHOULD LIKE

Quote Originally Posted by AlexMerced View Post
    where do you get Ron Paul being 8pts behind? According to this poll the Obama/Candidate spread is

Romney 3pts

Ron Paul 12pts (also notice the higher number of undecided voters)

Gingrich 16pts
    you are right, I read it wrong. changing heading
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Keep in mind this is an online polling operation, so be skeptical.

CNN found Ron doing slightly better than Romney vs. Obama.

Quote Originally Posted by Epic View Post
    Keep in mind this is an online polling operation, so be skeptical.

CNN found Ron doing slightly better than Romney vs. Obama.
    I think it is in flux and depends on the day to some extent. CNN's poll was before Huck dropped out and some of his supporters won't go 'anti-establishment'. Early days yet. But since Newsmax and some others are posting poll results where you have to sign up by email and give a bunch of personal info in order to be in the pool, I figured this was more accurate than that.
    Last edited by sailingaway; 05-22-2011 at 09:21 AM.

I don't see why people are disappointed about this. We would have been jubilant to have information out like this in 2008.

A) He's ahead of the establishment candidate, Newt
    and B) He's one of only three included, meaning that he's obviously being taken seriously over the other 5 declared/speculated candidates.

Also, by defalt, he has the highest rating of any candidate that was at the debate.

Look, we're not going to be handed this election, but unlike last time where the issue was "he CAN'T win", it's more like "he WON'T win", meaning they know we have a chance. We have an uphill battle, but Dr. Paul is farther ahead in the polls know than John McCain was in 2007.
    "One thing at a time, is my motto - and just play that thing for all it is worth, even if it's only two pair and a jack."
    Mark Twain

# of "undesireables" exterminated by Nazi Germany: 11,000,000. / # of Soviet citizens purged by Stalin: 40-60,000,000. / # of Chinese killed in Mao Tse-Dong's Revolutions: 70-80,000,000. / Living in Freedom: Priceless.

R[ƎVO˩]UTION!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    that was kinda how I looked at it too. They only polled for 3 and he was one and did better than one.

If the polling audience is primarily The Economist subscribers, then I am *very* encouraged by the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Bern View Post
    If the polling audience is primarily The Economist subscribers, then I am *very* encouraged by the results.
    Honest question, is that emphasis or sarcasm?

(I have no idea who subscribes to the Economist)
    "One thing at a time, is my motto - and just play that thing for all it is worth, even if it's only two pair and a jack."
    Mark Twain

# of "undesireables" exterminated by Nazi Germany: 11,000,000. / # of Soviet citizens purged by Stalin: 40-60,000,000. / # of Chinese killed in Mao Tse-Dong's Revolutions: 70-80,000,000. / Living in Freedom: Priceless.

R[ƎVO˩]UTION!

I'm taking this as a plus! Another positive poll!

Quote Originally Posted by freedom-maniac View Post
    Honest question, is that emphasis or sarcasm?

(I have no idea who subscribes to the Economist)
    emphasis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Economist

I would have expected much less support for Ron Paul from a poll of their subscriber base.
    Last edited by Bern; 05-22-2011 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bern View Post
    emphasis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Economist

I would have expected much less support for Ron Paul from a poll of their subscriber base.
    Why? The magazine is generally pro-free markets, socially liberal, and skeptical on foreign policy. Not to mention they provide superior coverage of international events. I would hope that would broadly fit the bill of most of us.
    Interested in politics? Check out Red Racing Horses for daily updates on electoral politics, redistricting, and the presidential campaigns.