Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The new senator from Kentucky is not his father’s clone—or is he?

The new senator from Kentucky is not his father’s clone—or is he?

3 page article about Rand Paul in the Weekly Standard (Kristol's neocon magazine)

I was interviewing Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky on February 17, in his temporary office in the Russell building on Capitol Hill, when his chief of staff Doug Stafford entered the room.

“Just giving you about a two-minute warning,” he said. “Maybe five. They’re going to do John McCain’s amendment first, and then yours. Once McCain is speaking, I’ll come in and get you and we can roll right over.”

Paul acknowledged him, then leaned back in his chair. His desk was littered with papers. A portrait of his father, congressman Ron Paul, hung on the wall behind him. A bookshelf was filled with free-market classics. He’d been reflecting on the Tea Party movement in Kentucky.
    Link

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    yeah, I'm reading it right now, just came across it a few minutes ago. It's actually the cover story for this week's edition.

Rand says Obama did crack, LOL. I thought it was cocaine but oh well, minor detail. Still reading...
    Last edited by jct74; 05-21-2011 at 12:36 AM.

Good article, but stupid conclusion. Also, a REALLY stupid cover.

Quote Originally Posted by AquaBuddha2010 View Post
    Good article, but stupid conclusion. Also, a REALLY stupid cover.
    yeah I don't know about the last paragraph, what that is about. The cover seems like a dis on "End the Fed" too... wish I could get a higher resolution picture of it. I thought the article was excellent though, very happy with it.

I respect Rand.
    He is going to be just as good as his father IMHO

These people really hate us.

Oh and this is all we are:
    The “Ron Paul Revolution” was populated with truly exotic fauna: pacifists, 9/11 Truthers, Buchananites, and Birchers.
    oh and:

Grayson was taken aback. “Whoa,” he remembers thinking, “these are sort of guerrilla terrorists.”
    and
    Grayson drew national support from Republicans anxious that Paul’s election would mean one less vote in the Senate for an assertive foreign policy and support for Israel. Grayson raised hundreds of thousands of dollars, he told me, from pro-Israel donors. But national security and Israel were not the most important issues for Kentucky Republicans. The economy, the debt, and opposition to President Obama mattered more.
    It really is all about Israel for many of these people isn't it? The US takes a backseat in priorities.

AHAH! The writer lets his bias slip:
    Try as they might, Paul’s opponents in both the Republican and Democratic parties have been unable to exile him to the borderlands where conservatism mingles with conspiracism.
    This inability is particularly frustrating because Paul and his father share core beliefs.
    The writer admits that it is frustrating that they haven't been able to exile Rand because he shares his core beliefs with his father!

This comment:
    Ron Paul has raised the specter of the “Israel Lobby,”
    Is highly amusing given what I already quoted above about the people funding Grayson putting Israel interests ahead of the US.
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-21-2011 at 10:42 AM.

I read the first page then quit. I refuse to dislike Rand just because Kristol's group is comparing him favorably to Ron.

I think they are trying to turn or moderate him with the suggestion of future support.

*fingers in my ears* "LA ,LA, LA, LA, LA"
    Last edited by sailingaway; 05-21-2011 at 10:41 AM.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is nothing but an attempt to paint the ideas as crazy. This article was written because they see, correctly, that Rand presents himself very well to the average Republican and represents the libertarian ideas of his father in an appealing way....and they are scared to death of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    You're not making the claim that there's no objective best diet, are you?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    I read the first page then quit. I refuse to dislike Rand just because Kristol's group is comparing him favorably to Ron.
    I think they are trying to turn or moderate him with the suggestion of future support.
    *fingers in my ears* "LA ,LA, LA, LA, LA"
    Naw, it is a great read; because it correctly points out how Rand has neutered their attacks. They might very well hate Rand more than Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Naw, it is a great read; because it correctly points out how Rand has neutered their attacks. They might very well hate Rand more than Ron.
    Oh. Well, in that case, I'll read it.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

I thought it was pretty good. Interesting read, regardless of their motivations.
    In the end, it's never what you worry about that gets you.

The article completely marginalizes teh coalitions and alliances on specific issues that Ron has made, by suggesting he is a "lone wolf"

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo23 View Post
    The article completely marginalizes teh coalitions and alliances on specific issues that Ron has made, by suggesting he is a "lone wolf"
    Yup and completely discredits itself by suggesting Dr. Paul never works with those he disagrees with on some issues. He is quite possibly the most bi-partisan person in congress. They just hate it because he is bi-partisan on issues that they disagree with him on.

It did call the Bush Presidency a failure on conservative issues, so I guess you take your victories where you can get them.

Yes Rand is the biggest threat to the Neocons followed by Ron... they really have no way of handling him... and it will spell the beginning of the end to their ideals the more Rand is given a national stage.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Is this title alluding to the "The last temptation of Christ?"

Pretty fair article. Very surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by sgt150 View Post
    Pretty fair article. Very surprised.
    I think it is much better than fair, to Rand at least, and outstanding considering the neocon source. And what is good for Rand will be good for Ron imo.
    Member of Ron Paul Forums Double Flat Tariff Only Society - Working towards eliminating all the foreign producer/outsource subsidizing internal federal taxes in favor of an across the board flat tariff applied equally to every country and every product.

The genius of Rand Paul is that, by picking his battles and finessing his message, he earns mainstream credibility without jettisoning his small-government and non-interventionist bonafides.
    They are scared to death of Rand.

Quote Originally Posted by Thargok View Post
    It did call the Bush Presidency a failure on conservative issues, so I guess you take your victories where you can get them.
    ... Only because they couldn't spin it enough with the narrative that growing the government with endless, new, entitlement programs and occupying the world as though we were the Romans to win another election. I supect the Kristols and Frums will be a little less overt next time around. Their place in the party is closer to the back of the room with the wait staff than at the front table with a place card now.

Extremely interesting article considering the source - The Weekly Standard the official neocon magazine.

From the article:

So far he’s avoided the temptations of both the fringe and the GOP establishment. The rewards will be great if he can keep his balance. Indeed, he could turn out to be one of the most important conservative statesmen in decades.
    (!!!)

Pretty fair article. In fact, I'd bet that at least a dozen neocons soiled themselves while reading it.

^^^ Even the neocons are coming to grips with how important Rand is. This is good news for libertarian ideas going forward.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I dislike the part which seems to imply (in contrasting Rand to him) that Ron Paul is not willing to work with or talk to those with whom he disagrees; this simply could not be more false.

Rand will be a force to reckon with in the years to come, just a question if he wants to make the personal sacrifice to tie on the most thankless job in the world, second only to being the Messiah.

Good article. Thanks for posting.

The people reading this as a negative piece need to think about from what lens their reading this stuff. You're not going to get better than this.
    Ron Paul: "For those who have asked, I freely confess that Jesus Christ is my personal Savior, and that I seek His guidance in all that I do."

I'll be happy when I see the Weekly Standard implode and The Freeman become the go-to mag.
    School of Salamanca - School of Austrian Economics - Liberty, Private Property, Free-Markets, Voluntaryist, Agorist. le monde va de lui męme

"No man hath power over my rights and liberties, and I over no mans [sic]."

What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty.

www.mises.org
    www.antiwar.com
    An Arrow Against all Tyrants - Richard Overton vis. 1646 (Required reading!)

Rand is alright, better than 90% of American politicians. He's not half the man his father is though...

It's a good article on the whole, but I just had to shake my head at this:
    His exchange with Rudy Giuliani at the Columbia debate over the roots of 9/11—Paul argued U.S. foreign policy had invited the attack—seemed to doom his (already slim) chances for the nomination.

Of course they parrot Giuliani's spin of Ron's argument rather than what Ron actually said. But I suppose, as the flagship GOP neoconservative magazine, they'd be bound to, eh?
    “Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?” - Oxenstiern

Violence will not save us. Let us love one another, for love is from God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast