Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Fitness Freaks?

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    I run barefoot, lift moderately, eat paleo, and just started tai chi. Feeling great! But I think I'll die anyway at some point.
    Have you read Born to Run? Inspiring book, got me to run with my shoes off, though I don't do it often.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I run barefoot, lift moderately, eat paleo, and just started tai chi. Feeling great! But I think I'll die anyway at some point.
    I've heard of the running barefoot style. How do you do it-do you run on grass? I couldn't do it on concrete...ow!
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    I've heard of the running barefoot style. How do you do it-do you run on grass? I couldn't do it on concrete...ow!
    Have you ever seen the Vibram Five Finger shoes? I have a pair of those myself (though I'm not a runner..).. Definitely gives you the barefoot feel without the pain of sharp objects.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
    Have you read Born to Run? Inspiring book, got me to run with my shoes off, though I don't do it often.
    Yes, I read that book. It played a role in getting me to start BF running. But what really got me started was a post on RPF about vibram five fingers. That got me interested in foot health and then someone loaned me Born to Run and that pushed me over the edge.

I ONLY run barefoot now. I'm afraid to run in shoes.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

No. Grass is dangerous because you can't see what is in it - glass, sprinkler heads, gopher holes etc.

Smooth concrete is a cake walk! Once you learn to stop slamming your heels into the ground, the springiness of your feet, leg muscles, and tendons take all the pounding out of it. My barefoot runs on concrete and asphalt are FAR less jarring than my shod runs were. Your body is capable of a running stride that doesn't produce sharp impact and running barefoot is the best way to learn it. Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jrnj-7YKZE
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

I play baseball, and organize my workouts around baseball.

I have a pair that I use for walking and hiking, but I don't wear them for running. And if you don't have experience running barefoot running in fivefingers is dangerous. Here's why:

Your feet are amazing. They are self-stabilizing, pressure-adjusting, feedback-looped, spring-loaded, sensor-rich, and instantaneously terrain-adjusting. BUT you have probably had them wrapped up in padded casts that have caused the bones, muscles, fascia, tendons, ligaments, and even the nerves to atrophy. And you probably forgot how to run without heels, arch support, and padding. It isn't your fault. It just happens with wearing shoes. So if you get rid of all the support and padding by putting on five fingers and go out for a run, there is a real good chance you will break your feet.

So the most prudent thing to do is start totally barefoot. On concrete. Start walking first. Then run short distances. You will be amazed how fast your body lets you know that you can't run barefoot the way you run in shoes. Your stride and form will change. When you can run a couple hundred yards on concrete without jarring your teeth out, switch to a more unfriendly surface like rough asphalt. At first the sensations from the bottoms of your feet will be intense. But you will get used to it. The bottoms of your feet have almost as many sensory nerves as your hands for a reason - you are SUPPOSED to feel the ground. But you have had them wrapped up so they need to get used to the intensity.

But the sensitivity of the bare soles of your feet are what is going to keep you from getting a stress fracture because they will stop you before you do too much AND they will teach you to land lightly.

So, while it seems counter-intuitive, the safest way to start is totally barefoot on unfriendly surfaces. That will keep you from doing too much while your body adjusts and it will teach you how to change your running form to reduce the impact.

There is more to it than this. I suggest buying a brand new book called Barefoot Running Step by Step by Ken Bob Sexton. The guy has run like 70 marathons barefoot. He is really the guru of barefoot running.
    Last edited by Acala; 05-20-2011 at 02:19 PM.

I have a pair that I use for walking and hiking, but I don't wear them for running. And if you don't have experience running barefoot running in fivefingers is dangerous. Here's why:

Your feet are amazing. They are self-stabilizing, pressure-adjusting, feedback-looped, spring-loaded, sensor-rich, and instantaneously terrain-adjusting. BUT you have probably had them wrapped up in padded casts that have caused the bones, muscles, fascia, tendons, ligaments, and even the nerves to atrophy. And you probably forgot how to run without heels, arch support, and padding. It isn't your fault. It just happens with wearing shoes. So if you get rid of all the support and padding by putting on five fingers and go out for a run, there is a real good chance you will break your feet.

So the most prudent thing to do is start totally barefoot. On concrete. Start walking first. Then run short distances. You will be amazed how fast your body lets you know that you can't run barefoot the way you run in shoes. Your stride and form will change. When you can run a couple hundred yards on concrete without jarring your teeth out, switch to a more unfriendly surface like rough asphalt. At first the sensations from the bottoms of your feet will be intense. But you will get used to it. The bottoms of your feet have almost as many sensory nerves as your hands for a reason - you are SUPPOSED to feel the ground. But you have had them wrapped up so they need to get used to the intensity.

But the sensitivity of the bare soles of your feet are what is going to keep you from getting a stress fracture because they will stop you before you do too much AND they will teach you to land lightly.

So, while it seems counter-intuitive, the safest way to start is totally barefoot on unfriendly surfaces. That will keep you from doing too much while your body adjusts and it will teach you how to change your running form to reduce the impact.

There is more to it than this. I suggest buying a brand new book called Barefoot Running Step by Step by Ken Bob Sexton. The guy has run like 70 marathons barefoot. He is really the guru of barefoot running.

Interesting. Thanks.

My girlfriend in college swore by running barefoot. I just that that was what everyone from Utah did.

My feet are kind of flat. If i don't have arch supports, inward rotation puts torque on my medial collateral ligament, and my knees get sore. That's only with a lot of milage though.

Plus I don't like splinters in my feet, and I don't take running all that serious.

I think i'll stick to wearing SHOES!

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    + rep, Acala! I remember that thread about vibrams. Thanks for sharing your barefoot running knowledge. And Barefoot Bob is a pretty amazing guy.
    Last edited by Bruno; 05-20-2011 at 03:08 PM.

I love working out. I do weights twice per week, emphasizing different muscle groups on each day. Typical exercises include deadlifts, pull-ups, one-arm rows, overhead presses, and push-ups or bench presses.

I also do cardio on most days of the week, running and walking on alternate days. This is generally on a treadmill -- slight incline for running, steeper incline for walking. A lot of people find treadmills boring, but I just put on some headphones and try to get lost in the music.
    "Man lives freely only by his readiness to die." -- Mohandas K. Gandhi

"Generally speaking, the way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death." -- Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Agorism View Post
    My feet are kind of flat. If i don't have arch supports, inward rotation puts torque on my medial collateral ligament, and my knees get sore. That's only with a lot of milage though.

Plus I don't like splinters in my feet, and I don't take running all that serious.

I think i'll stick to wearing SHOES!
    Not meaning to argue with you here, since they are YOUR feet, but how do you know you need arch support?

The US Army just completed a HUGE study in which they compared one group of soldiers who had running shoes prescribed in accordance with prevailing ideas about motion control, pronation and such and another group of soldiers who just wore running shoes that felt comfortable. The soldiers with the prescribed shoes had significantly MORE injuries than the others. This tends to show that what currently passes for expertise in prescribing shoes for motion control is mostly crap.

I've been running barefoot for about a year, and hiking barefoot in the Arizona desert regularly, and have yet to get a thorn, splinter, or anything else in my feet. You learn to watch where you are going.

But not everyone is comfortable with bare feet and you should do what makes you happy. My personal experience has been that running in shoes always made me feel like I had just been pounded. Running barefoot doesn't make me feel that way at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
    + rep, Acala! I remember that thread about vibrams. Thanks for sharing your barefoot running knowledge. And Barefoot Bob is a pretty amazing guy.
    Thanks! It's really fun.

No. Grass is dangerous because you can't see what is in it - glass, sprinkler heads, gopher holes etc.

Smooth concrete is a cake walk! Once you learn to stop slamming your heels into the ground, the springiness of your feet, leg muscles, and tendons take all the pounding out of it. My barefoot runs on concrete and asphalt are FAR less jarring than my shod runs were. Your body is capable of a running stride that doesn't produce sharp impact and running barefoot is the best way to learn it. Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jrnj-7YKZE
    Fascinating! Thanks. I'll try it on my morning jog tomorrow.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Not meaning to argue with you here, since they are YOUR feet, but how do you know you need arch support?

The US Army just completed a HUGE study in which they compared one group of soldiers who had running shoes prescribed in accordance with prevailing ideas about motion control, pronation and such and another group of soldiers who just wore running shoes that felt comfortable. The soldiers with the prescribed shoes had significantly MORE injuries than the others. This tends to show that what currently passes for expertise in prescribing shoes for motion control is mostly crap.

I've been running barefoot for about a year, and hiking barefoot in the Arizona desert regularly, and have yet to get a thorn, splinter, or anything else in my feet. You learn to watch where you are going.

But not everyone is comfortable with bare feet and you should do what makes you happy. My personal experience has been that running in shoes always made me feel like I had just been pounded. Running barefoot doesn't make me feel that way at all.
    Because I used to run cross country in high school. I would get sore knees when I started to get high mileage. I would actually have to take time off to let my knees heal, and and one point I was going to quit the season.

The reason was because I had flat feet, which torqued my MCL. Once I got specially designed arch supports (and what I mean is ones that didn't squish down as much as the store ones), my knees no longer hurt and I could run as much mileage as I wanted without problem. I could still where racing shoes for races without arches, because one race would cause very minimal soreness. 2-3 miles or so plus rest days means that I can run without them now, but if I run 4-10 miles and have less rest days, then my knees with become very sore.

Edit: I'm pretty sure it was my MCL that was what was hurting but it's been like 10 years so I can't remember for sure. When my knees were hurting I actually thought something was wrong with my knees, but then I found out it was my feet that was doing it. Once they gave me the correct arches, things were perfect.
    Last edited by Agorism; 05-20-2011 at 04:38 PM.

Fascinating! Thanks. I'll try it on my morning jog tomorrow.
    Cool! A couple tips for starters.

If your heels are hitting hard bend your knees more. For most barefoot runners, the ball of the foot touches down first followed closely by a gentle heel touch and then off.

Keep your calves relaxed. In fact, try to keep everything relaxed.

Have fun!

ive lifted for 23 years now. i love it! 2 days on 1 off.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I forgot to mention a really useful site (especially to beginners) with all kinds of information. It has a catalog of nearly all common exercises with proper technique described verbally and via animated gifs, as well as strength standards and all sorts of other things related to fitness. For those who haven't seen it, try browsing this site for a while:

http://www.exrx.net/index.html
    "Man lives freely only by his readiness to die." -- Mohandas K. Gandhi

"Generally speaking, the way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death." -- Miyamoto Musashi

tried barefoot running this morning...it hurt like a motherfucker! I'm sticking with my jogging shoes now.

If you're training to live with the pygmies, then start running barefoot ASAP. Probably takes a while to get all those calluses built up.
    Last edited by Agorism; 05-21-2011 at 10:02 PM.

I love running, but I am most certainly not built like a runner. I've got quite a bit of mass that my feet/knees/hips have to support. I think I'll keep my ASICS and Reebok Runtones.
    "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds."

"We are The People. We are America, and We have a Voice."
    Vote Ron Paul for President 2008

tried barefoot running this morning...it hurt like a motherfucker! I'm sticking with my jogging shoes now.
    Lol! Can you be more specific? What surface were you running on? What part of you hurt?

I guess I didn't make it clear - you MUST start slow. Really slow. Like walking. Then after a few WEEKS, a little running. Essentially you have had your feet in casts for decades and now suddenly you are going to unwrap them and take a run? Not. You have lots of adjusting to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Agorism View Post
    If you're training to live with the pygmies, then start running barefoot ASAP. Probably takes a while to get all those calluses built up.
    If you choose to wear shoes, fine. But let's not pretend that is the normal state of affairs and only pygmies do otherwise.

Obviously your feet were not made to be locked up inside casts that prevent them from moving or feeling the environment. Fully one quarter of the bones in your body are in your feet and your feet have as many sensory nerves as the palms of your hands. You may choose to immobilize them and desensitize them in shoes, but you shouldn't make fun of those who don't. That is irrational cultural baggage.

Americans have a vast array of foot problems, mostly due to atrophied feet - foot problems that are almost totally absent in barefoot cultures. Americans ALSO have lots of ankle, knee, hip, and back problems, many of which are due to the unnatural posture and stride forced upon us by wearing shoes with heel lifts.

And another thing - barefoot running doesn't rely on building up callouses. It isn't about toughness. On the contrary, any callouses will be worn off very quickly. Your feet WILL build up stronger muscle, bones, ligament, tendon, and fascia. They will develop more extensive vascularity. And the balls of your feet will build up a cushioning layer of fat. The skin will thicken but not harden. It becomes like a dog's paw - soft and leathery. The way nature intended.

But the main adaptation associated with barefoot running is a change in stride. You learn to land gently rather than slamming your foot down. The result is not only a reduction in impact on your foot, but through the rest of your body as well. See the video I linked for proof.

Additionally, running barefoot turns it into an exercise in mindfulness. Instead of spacing out and pounding away down the road, you are tuned into your body and the road. You feel the environment and make minute changes in your posture and stride instantly based on feedback from your feet.

Anyway, good luck with your shoes. As for me, my feet, knees, and back have never been happier. I like running to feel springy rather than like I am being hammered.

Quote Originally Posted by PineGroveDave View Post
    I love running, but I am most certainly not built like a runner. I've got quite a bit of mass that my feet/knees/hips have to support. I think I'll keep my ASICS and Reebok Runtones.
    Check out the video I posted for an explanation of how barefoot running reduces impact. Contrary to the propaganda of the running shoe industry.

Lol! Can you be more specific? What surface were you running on? What part of you hurt?

I guess I didn't make it clear - you MUST start slow. Really slow. Like walking. Then after a few WEEKS, a little running. Essentially you have had your feet in casts for decades and now suddenly you are going to unwrap them and take a run? Not. You have lots of adjusting to do.
    I was jogging on regular concrete. A very smooth surface. The parts that hurt were the tarsels, heels, and tips of the toes. Thanks for clarifying. I'll give it another go this fall when the pavement isn't so hot.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I was jogging on regular concrete. A very smooth surface. The parts that hurt were the tarsels, heels, and tips of the toes. Thanks for clarifying. I'll give it another go this fall when the pavement isn't so hot.
    If the heels are hitting too hard, bend your knees more. If the toes are rubbing, curl them up slightly just before your foot lands. I would suggest walking barefoot for several weeks before running. Then run a hundred yards on concrete. Add a hundred yards every two weeks. When you can run a mile on concrete, switch to a rougher surface like old asphalt or gravel. From that point on you can run as much as the soles of your feet will allow.

You really CAN learn to have your feet touch down much more gently by changing your stride.

You are also trying to learn to remove any twist or slide or push-off from your stride. Your foot should plant softly, and lift off without any torque or sliding movement. The soles of your feet will want this because they don't like abrasion and the benefit is that eliminating any twisting or sliding helps your ankles, knees and hips.

If the heels are hitting too hard, bend your knees more. If the toes are rubbing, curl them up slightly just before your foot lands. I would suggest walking barefoot for several weeks before running. Then run a hundred yards on concrete. Add a hundred yards every two weeks. When you can run a mile on concrete, switch to a rougher surface like old asphalt or gravel. From that point on you can run as much as the soles of your feet will allow.

You really CAN learn to have your feet touch down much more gently by changing your stride.

You are also trying to learn to remove any twist or slide or push-off from your stride. Your foot should plant softly, and lift off without any torque or sliding movement. The soles of your feet will want this because they don't like abrasion and the benefit is that eliminating any twisting or sliding helps your ankles, knees and hips.
    Okay, thanks. I'll save this post and try it out.

Well, I've been called a freak.
    And I am reasonably fit.,, does that count?

No I have not been freakish about fitness since I was in the Army many years ago.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

I just completed the Velocity Diet. Read about it over at T-nation. Talk about testing your mental strength...

I got into lifting last May and have dropped around 40 pounds. Almost done cutting and should start back lifting heavy soon. Lookin' forward to it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast