Thread: In Defense of the Ad

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

In Defense of the Ad

The ad ain't bad. Seriously, how good are most ads? About this good.

People need to realise that Paul got across exactly what he needed to:
    A) His name
    B) You don't have to agree with every single one of his positions
    C) Live Free or Die

The most important part about the ads is getting his name known. Over half of GOPers polled can't idenitfy "front-runner" Rudy Giuliani. By getting his name out, this ad is a success.

Not only that, but I'm sure there will be many, many more ads. This is a good first step.
    It's amazing how close-minded open-minded people are.
    The Political Seer

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Agreed. I think some forget who the target market is: the average GOP primary voter who pays little if any attention to politics, but still votes on election day as part of their civic duty. This target market is not going to be swayed by Austrian Economics, details of non-interventionist foreign policy, etc. They will be swayed by soundbites and postive messages, both of which were contained in this video. Some have called the ad "cheesy", but this is precisely the type of ad that will work on the vast target market that is the average GOP voter.

The Ad is horrible. We're going to get laughed at. The ad SCREAMS second tier candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
    The Ad is horrible. We're going to get laughed at. The ad SCREAMS second tier candidate.
    2nd tier candidates don't run ads.
    I'm DjLoTi =) Liveontheisland =) I live on an island =) It's my island =)

I thought it looked cheesy at first, but in all reality, it looks like just about every political add I've seen before.

We love our guy so much we expect angelic trumpets and and announcement from God declaring RP as the Solomon of our day.

Seriously, it won't hurt us. Could it be better, definitely yes, but the "Napoleon Dynamite" like phase of "Worst commercial ever" is a bit over stated IMO. It's not the worst, it's average.

Quote Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
    Or it screams: I'm a different candidate. I'm not the status quo.

Ask yourself this question and give an honest answer: Have any of us EVER been swayed to vote for a candidate based on a 30 second television commercial before? I know I haven't. Maybe an ad would inspire me to learn more about the candidate but I NEVER have based by vote on anything because of a TV ad.

The ad is not aimed at us. It is aimed at casual New Hampshire citizens who may or may not vote. I honestly don't care if the ad had the swedish bikini team, explosions and fireworks, and dollar bills falling from the sky it wouldn't change my opinion about a candidate either way.

The ad is not for us. It is cheesy but it is cost effective. It is targeted for new hampshire voters only and only those who don't follow any politics at all. All it is supposed to do is get name recognition and inspire the casual voter to think and learn more about Ron Paul and then make a choice. That's it.

This is a candidate who has won TWO elections for congress as a non-incumbent with the entire party not supporting him both times. He's gotten re-elected countless times and he has a ton of experience at it. Don't think you know what you're talking about unless you're on the inside and know the inner workings of campaign election advertising.

The ad does what it needs to, it says ron Paul's name a few times, and gives a real brief overview of what a good guy he is.

I mean, look at the success McDonalds is. The food is bland, and people love it. That's just the way it is.

Most peopel on here, I bet, woudl talk about how horrible McDonalds is, and hwo they know a restaurant with an excellent curry chicken.

Most Americans prefer McDonalds.

Quote Originally Posted by NewEnd View Post
    The ad does what it needs to, it says ron Paul's name a few times, and gives a real brief overview of what a good guy he is.

I mean, look at the success McDonalds is. The food is bland, and people love it. That's just the way it is.

Most peopel on here, I bet, woudl talk about how horrible McDonalds is, and hwo they know a restaurant with an excellent curry chicken.

Most Americans prefer McDonalds.
    Interesting analogy.

Politically, we're activists. We are not normal in that regard! We have very different tastes for political commercials than most people. We shouldn't pretend that our opinions about a commercial are more important and well thought-out than Ron's. It's been said... he and his team have a looooot of experience in the political marketing field, whereas most of us have none.
    Last edited by Buzz; 10-27-2007 at 07:02 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Interesting analogy.

Politically, we're activists. We are not normal in that regard! We have very different tastes for political commercials than most people. We shouldn't pretend that our opinions about a commercial are more important and well thought-out than Ron's. It's been said... he and his team have a looooot of experience in the political marketing field, whereas most of us have none.

I know the ad is not suppose to appeal to me. But it is suppose to have some resemblance of professionalism.

Compare Romney and Clinton ads to this.....

And we want to play in the big leagues? We DONT DESERVE IT!!

Ron is cagey and knows what he is doing. Please study his thirty some years of beating the establishment and you will find his political instincts as brilliant as his governing philosophy.

I am serious...before people complain they should study up on the political genius of Ron Paul. He is far more saavy than this commercial may suggest but hmmmmmmm..maybe that is100% intentional.
    Last edited by Bruehound; 10-27-2007 at 06:24 PM. Reason: grammatical

Quote Originally Posted by Bruehound View Post
    Please study his thirty some years of beating the establishment and you will find his political instincts as brilliant as his governing philosophy.

I am serious...before people complain they should study up on the political genius of Ron Paul. He is far more saavy than this commercial may suggest but hmmmmmmm..maybe that is100% intentional.
    Very good post. I'm 36 and have always paid attention to politics, but I only really started getting involved when RP hit the scene. I sometimes forget that and think I know everything about running a campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruehound View Post
    Ron is cagey and knows what he is doing. Please study his thirty some years of beating the establishment and you will find his political instincts as brilliant as his governing philosophy.

What he said.

ron paul himself could not articulate a defense for this turd of an ad.

Quote Originally Posted by K1RBY View Post
    ron paul himself could not articulate a defense for this turd of an ad.
    You are a very angry person.

I, for one, always remember the cheesy ads. ALWAYS. "HEAD ON!", and here in San Antonio EVERYONE knows about "THANK YOU CAREER POINT!". He has trouble with name recognition, and this ad may very well help his name recognition, even if it is goofy.

Plus, I've seen plenty of ads for politics that are as cheesy as this one.

Plus, old people like this kind of stuff. Not all, but some.

Plus, we have 4 more ads in the making. This one will only play for a week.
    "You know not what you are given, but forever will you know what has been taken away from you..."

"As long as we live beyond our means we are destined to live beneath our means." - Ron Paul at a CNBC Debate in Michigan (10/09/07)

How can anyone defend dog $#@!?

We know it came out of the nicest and smartest dog around, but that does not change the fact that it is still dog $#@!.

Quote Originally Posted by austin356 View Post

We know it came out of the nicest and smartest dog around, but that does not change the fact that it is still dog $#@!.

McDonalds serves 48,000,000 meals a day, that is 1/7th of America.

Have you ever eaten it?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Have you ever eaten it?

yea regularly. I don't like to pay the higher prices for the better burger.

Campaign has a little more resources, even on a relative scale, than me though.

Originally Posted by austin356

Have you ever eaten at McDonalds?

Quote Originally Posted by austin356 View Post
    yea regularly. I don't like to pay the higher prices for the better burger.
    Seriously, how can you defend the dog$#@! they call food at McDonalds?

Have you ever eaten at McDonalds?

Seriously, how can you defend the dog$#@! they call food at McDonalds?

By saying the benefits of lower prices outweigh the negatives of lower quality. A claim I cannot make in regards to this commercial, because this ad is neither cheap (~$250,000) nor is it quality.

Have you ever eaten it?
    and 50% of the fat ass as well.

Best
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Seer View Post
    The ad ain't bad. Seriously, how good are most ads? About this good.
    The ad is miserable.

First, it opens with a way over maked-up Ron Paul, and he's in front of bright blue screen (was that a chromakey, did they forget to superimpose something on it?). The color makes him look even more awful and seems very amateurish. Plus it actually hurts my eyes.

Then the first line starts right off on a negative with "I don't always agree with Ron Paul...." The next "character" seems desperate to convince himself that he "really does" agree with Ron "most of the time." (It shows so much conviction!)

So after only 5 seconds the viewer (any viewer, these types of negatives aren't limited to a certain audience) already has a terribly negative perception.

Listen to all the fair weather Ron Paul supporters bitch and moan. Please tell me how many campaigns have you been personally involved with that gives you any credibility over Ron Pauls staff?

Go play in traffic
    http://freeme.tv get the latest in videos for Ron Paul around the net.

Also check out the Ron Paul Newsroom

Grassroots supporter and blogger, check it out!! http://www.politicallore.com/

"Dont tax me. Bro!!"

Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Listen to all the fair weather Ron Paul supporters bitch and moan. Please tell me how many campaigns have you been personally involved with that gives you any credibility over Ron Pauls staff?
    QFT

I just saw the ad. It's not the worst advertisement the world but it won't draw voters and good ad can do just that. It does have an 80's cheesy feel to it. I think because we've seen so much good stuff on You Tube put together by ordinary people like us (The Mosaic Ad is just outstanding), we see something like this and say to ourselves "We can do better than this!" which is why so many are upset.

More than anything this ad and whatever else they've shot will introduce voters to Ron Paul if they haven't heard about him before, that's all. But to sell Ron Paul to voters, they'll need to do better. I think You Tube ad contest would be a great idea I also think bringing on board an ad guy like Phil Hillsman, a Minnesotan who's ads helped elect Jesse Ventura, Russ Feingold and Paul Wellstone. He would be perfect match for a candidate like Ron Paul.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.