Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to help if you don't live in Iowa

Supporting Member
    Missouri

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post
    Community Colleges - they just show up the first day and generally have very few out of state students.

colleges/universities - dorms generally open up 1-2 weeks before the start of classes. It's common for colleges to require freshmen to live in dorms the first year, and then for them to seek off campus housing.

Off campus housing starts getting filled 1 month before classes start and the last week is PANIC! if students haven't found a place by then.

Having someplace students could stay as well as shuttle help, would help those seeking off campus housing and us as to votes.

as to clubs and associations, a community college may have 2 dozen, while a university often has hundreds. Only a few will be appropriate to contact. Stay away from Young Americans for Freedom. They are small gvmt conservatives, but pro-Israel, neocon foreign policy and anti-RonPaul.

Contacting Republican or Conservative clubs/associations could back fire and get them to vote for other candidates. Libertarian groups, if you can find them, should be good.
    Thanks! this is good news since the straw poll is only a week before classes start, so that means many of these kids will plan on being there then anyway!

I sent out a ton of emails today too, so hopefully interest in helping with this project will pick up.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    Missouri

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul4Prez View Post
    I would imagine that many of the out-of-state Iowa students live or work in nearby states in the summer. How about trying to set up group transportation (buses) from nearby cities?

Minneapolis, Minnesota -- 215 miles to Ames, Iowa
    Omaha, Nebraska -- 174 miles
    Sioux Falls, South Dakota -- 256 miles
    Kansas City, Missouri -- 229 miles
    St. Louis, Missouri -- 394 miles
    Chicago, Illinois -- 357 miles
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin -- 358 miles
    Yes, someone told me there are around 5,000 students that go to the University of Iowa who live in Chicago area alone, and around the same in St Paul, so thats 10,000 prospective students to work with.

we need some young people from those areas to start helping recruit these people.
    Last edited by Roxi; 05-14-2011 at 08:28 PM.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by roxic27 View Post
    Thanks! this is good news since the straw poll is only a week before classes start, so that means many of these kids will plan on being there then anyway!

I sent out a ton of emails today too, so hopefully interest in helping with this project will pick up.
    While we are at it, one of the best ways to get access to PRIMARY voters is a week after the straw poll. I'm referring to putting up a table during orientation week on college and university campuses. Sometimes you have to be an exiting on campus organization to do this, and sometimes not.

Supporting Member
    Missouri

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post
    While we are at it, one of the best ways to get access to PRIMARY voters is a week after the straw poll. I'm referring to putting up a table during orientation week on college and university campuses. Sometimes you have to be an exiting on campus organization to do this, and sometimes not.
    Ya, and what about setting up a table at the straw poll too

roxin- same as ron paulin

edit once you have the website domain etc . we could possibly tie in several radio ads in iowa as well!!
    Last edited by speciallyblend; 05-15-2011 at 01:07 AM.
    2016 gop est business as usual, rules do not apply.

here's a tribute vid i made for the 2012 revolution! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNu1LU50-zA

wish i still had facebook, but it ain't worth reactivate. I would also recommend seeing if there is a Meetup group near your area. I just joined one in my area, and we are meeting in a few weeks.

Supporting Member
    Missouri

Blog Entries
    Okay folks IowaStudentsForRonPaul has been registered!!

I am a complete amateur at doing websites, so any help would be appreciated. I plan on installing a basic WP application on the site to make it easy and it is going to be a simple site.

If the project gets no traction I will eventually redirect the site to the Iowa campaign site.

Quote Originally Posted by roxic27 View Post
    I agree!

anyone have any ideas on how to find these students?

Would facebook help? There's a University of Iowa facebook and I'm sure every major school has one. There's also a Young Americans for Liberty Iowa facebook too.
    Twitter: @JayToTheDee YouTube: RealHarrySeaward

id love to help, just dont really know what to do? i dont know any kids that go to school in Iowa but live in MO. i'm thinking about trying to compile a list of all the cons. clubs/groups in Iowa and sending an email to each group asking if they support paul and would be willing to vote for him in the straw poll? What do you guys think?

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    Missouri

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trey4sports View Post
    id love to help, just dont really know what to do? i dont know any kids that go to school in Iowa but live in MO. i'm thinking about trying to compile a list of all the cons. clubs/groups in Iowa and sending an email to each group asking if they support paul and would be willing to vote for him in the straw poll? What do you guys think?
    Trey that is a great start... what we need are several people to volunteer to do exactly that. Start trying to contact students by email who do support RP and see if we can get some lists of students who live out of state and then contact those students. I will have a place on the website for volunteers to sign up to do that.

any other ideas on how to find these prospective voters would be most helpful.

Supporting Member
    Missouri

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HarrySeaward View Post
    Would facebook help? There's a University of Iowa facebook and I'm sure every major school has one. There's also a Young Americans for Liberty Iowa facebook too.
    yes, those are both helpful... I will be doing what I can to start contacting these groups, however need to put my energy into the website first, and am looking for volunteers to help look for the students that fit what we are looking for.

Supporting Member
    Missouri

Blog Entries
    I guess what I am saying is the site should be up in a week.... at this point we need volunteers to help head up this project, and volunteers to help with outreach. The actual outreach should probably start after the site is up, and preferrably with a volunteer (or 10) from each state surrounding Iowa (mostly the areas mentioned earlier by Paul4Prez

How about ads in the papers at colleges? In California I think they are in session until June and we might be able to (before they break for the summer) at least say 'if you are an Iowa student for Ron Paul we will be looking for voters in the Iowa straw poll and there will be other Iowa volunteer opportunities -- keep in touch over the summer with "Iowa Students for Ron Paul" (or whatever the website is). But we need the info to put in the ads before colleges end because my experience with college students is that the casual ones will go back to 'summer lives', a different group of friends, job, family, and check out for the summer, otherwise.

So, let us know what to put in, and I guess we could put in the Iowa campaign info (I hate to put in Steve B's email account, but maybe it's a 'disposable one'.) We'd have to do this fast though.

Also, Young Americans for Liberty, if they are allowed, could remind their Iowa members on their web page that if they are interested they can contact the campaign in X way...

Again, to me the important thing is getting this set in the students' minds BEFORE school ends.

But students go all over the nation, and still end up home in the summer. A college paper ad wouldn't be expensive I should think...but we'd have to have the info fast since colleges are winding up.
    Last edited by sailingaway; 05-17-2011 at 07:14 AM.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Steve was mentioning Facebook ads targeting Iowa students. Sounds like a good idea as well

Another good idea: If you have relatives who live in Iowa, write to them. Tell them what a good guy Ron Paul is and convince them to go to the Straw Poll to vote for Ron Paul.

Supporting Member
    Missouri

Blog Entries
    The site is coming along..... http://iowastudentsforronpaul.com/

any ideas?

(remember that I am kinda wingin it here...)

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I have posted a thread for those who want to help support Iowa from the comforts of their own home. Please read this thread:

Romney may have money but we have the Army!
    Make a local meetup group to do pub crawls and tell the staff about "Keep the Tip"

www.rp2012.org

Start calling Iowan voters about voting for Dr. Paul in the Ames Straw Poll

Yes, Ronstock, perhaps at The Warehouse.

Enroll at an Iowa Community College

It is very inexpensive to enroll in a community college. Get your ID and then vote in the straw poll/caucus.

HOWDY!!
    I will be in Iowa around the 13th of August. Although I am not a resident what can I do to help while I am in the area! Can I help at the Iowa straw poll

Quote Originally Posted by billyyoder View Post
    HOWDY!!
    I will be in Iowa around the 13th of August. Although I am not a resident what can I do to help while I am in the area! Can I help at the Iowa straw poll
    Here's a thread about how you can help.

If you want to help then donate to the revpac money bomb
    http://supervoterbomb.com/

they are running a Christmas Break for Ron Paul, where you come to Iowa, you are housed by the campaign and you help the local campaigners get the vote out for Dr Paul. Its great for college students since you are on break, and gives you a chance to help the campaign, and help Dr Paul win the straw polls. I can get you a contact from the campaign if you want to join the effort

http://www.youthforpaul.com/win
    Last edited by timster24; 11-19-2011 at 07:17 PM.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Stump for Paul in Iowa YouTube Video Speech Contest

November 26, 2011: Over the next two weeks Ron Paul supporters around the world will participate in an exciting and challenging event -- Stump for Paul in Iowa YouTube Video Speech Contest.

Contestants will produce a two-minute video of a speech which would be appropriate to give at an Iowa caucus in support of Ron Paul.

Sometime before December 15 at 11:59 PM contestants must (1) upload their video entry to YouTube and (2) submit their entry to the administrator.

Entries will be judged on content, delivery, and camera work/sound/appearance/background. Judges include Thomas E. Woods and John Dennis.

“These videos will serve to encourage and inspire others to deliver stump speeches at the January 3, 2012 Iowa caucus. If we get Ron Paul supporters from Iowa and elsewhere to deliver moving and powerful speeches all across Iowa we can give Ron Paul a boost and push him over the top for victory," says Jun Dam, administrator of Stump for Paul in Iowa YouTube Video Speech Contest.

Prizes for this contest total $1100. All entries will receive two Ron Paul bumper stickers.

More details on the contest, including a complete list of the official rules, can be found here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtXNJb55ZlQ.

Join the discussion on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/stumpforpaul

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12