Thread: McCain Proposes Indefinite Detention Without Trial for Citizens

Angry McCain Proposes Indefinite Detention Without Trial for Citizens

Full story HERE
    Senator John McCain (R-Ariz.) has introduced a bill that would allow the President to imprison an unlimited number of American citizens (as well as foreigners) indefinitely without trial. Known as The Enemy Belligerent Interrogation, Detention, and Prosecution Act of 2010, or S. 3081, the bill authorizes the President to deny a detainee a trial by jury simply by designating that person an “enemy belligerent.” The bill, which has eight cosponsors, explicitly names U.S. citizens as among those who can be detained indefinitely without trial
    So ... how long will it be before supporters of nullification, non-interventionism, etc. are deemed to be "enemy belligerents" ... ?
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 05-11-2011 at 06:11 PM.
    The Bastiat Collection ˇ FREE PDF ˇ FREE EPUB ˇ PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

ˇ tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ˇ

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Good Lord, the government is totally out of control. This thread reminds me of one from just a few days ago, where some argued that Anti-Federalist's fears are unrealistic. Just who is being unrealistic now?
    Quote Originally Posted by President John F. Kennedy
    And we must face the fact that the United States is neither omnipotent nor omniscient. That we are only 6% of the world's population, and that we cannot impose our will upon the other 94% of mankind. That we cannot right every wrong or reverse each adversity, and that therefore there cannot be an American solution to every world problem.
    I need an education in US history, from the ground up. Can you help point me to a comprehensive, unbiased, scholarly resource?

BTW, that story is from last April. It looks like it died in committee.
    I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. -Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Aldanga View Post
    Good. It's still only a matter of time though, unless we turn things around...these proposals never die for real. They're just attempted again and again until they pass.
    Quote Originally Posted by President John F. Kennedy
    And we must face the fact that the United States is neither omnipotent nor omniscient. That we are only 6% of the world's population, and that we cannot impose our will upon the other 94% of mankind. That we cannot right every wrong or reverse each adversity, and that therefore there cannot be an American solution to every world problem.
    I need an education in US history, from the ground up. Can you help point me to a comprehensive, unbiased, scholarly resource?

This bill was the reason David Nolan ran for Senate in 2010.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

Quote Originally Posted by Aldanga View Post
    Aack! This story is actually over a year old!

I got the story from a facebook friend's post, and it pissed me off so much I posted it here before I had fully digested it.

Sorry for the false alarm. The fact that such a thing was ever even considered is pretty damn scary, though.

Things need to change a LOT ... and SOON ... or we are all well & truly doomed.
    The Bastiat Collection ˇ FREE PDF ˇ FREE EPUB ˇ PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

ˇ tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ˇ

At some point Godwin's Law flies out the window, are we there yet??
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Ron should specifically bring this up in a debate mock and ridicule McCain as a pathetic traitor and an enemy of the Republic.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't think this bill has been re-introduced this session...yet. David Nolan (RIP) attacked McCain with SB 3081 several times during the Arizona senatorial debates last year. McCain never responded to him at all.

The list of co-sponsors included Tea Party darling Scott Brown. hxxp://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s111-3081

[QUOTE=Occam's Banana;3267209]Full story HERE
    So ... how long will it be before supporters of nullification, non-interventionism, etc. are deemed to be "enemy belligerents" ... ?[/QUOTE]

Already done. Make your peace.

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    Ron should specifically bring this up in a debate mock and ridicule McCain as a pathetic traitor and an enemy of the Republic.
    McCain isn't running this time.

Quote Originally Posted by QueenB4Liberty View Post
    McCain isn't running this time.
    Excellent point. He should bring it up as a metaphor for what's ailing America and indict anyone on the stage with guilt by association. I'll bet most of the clowns on the stage can be quoted as either cosponsoring the bill or speaking in support of it.

Indefinite war, indefinite detention, indefinite budgets. The only thing that seems definite any more is our Constitution's place on the Endangered Species List.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

The Constitution has been indefinitely suspended.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Indefinite war, indefinite detention, indefinite budgets. The only thing that seems definite any more is our Constitution's place on the Endangered Species List.
    Wow! You need to get this to the official campaign for inclusion in the next debate talking points!

Yeah, the bill is no longer a threat for THIS session, at least....

What I really and truly find sad is that McCain (a politician whom I have NEVER liked, just to be clear) who was a former POW held and tortured by the North Vietnamese, should have been leading the charge AGAINST such nonsense, based on his personal experience with being "detained" indefinitely. Can he honestly not see the irony here?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think McCain needs to spend more time in a hole in vietnam.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Perhaps his heart is out for revenge and he is willing to sell his soul to make someone else feel the pain he felt.

It is the human condition to be weak. So it seems...

Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    Yeah, the bill is no longer a threat for THIS session, at least....

What I really and truly find sad is that McCain (a politician whom I have NEVER liked, just to be clear) who was a former POW held and tortured by the North Vietnamese, should have been leading the charge AGAINST such nonsense, based on his personal experience with being "detained" indefinitely. Can he honestly not see the irony here?

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    Perhaps his heart is out for revenge and he is willing to sell his soul to make someone else feel the pain he felt.

It is the human condition to be weak. So it seems...
    ^This.

Drudge bomb!

I just sent this to drudge. It would be a great headline for us

there seems to be an unusual amount of internet chatter regarding this in the past week

O this is old...nm

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    Wow! You need to get this to the official campaign for inclusion in the next debate talking points!
    Thanks, but how? We never figured out how to be part of the team last round, and I still haven't figured out if it's possible this round either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This bill has been getting more publicity this year than it did last year, when it was needed. Few people were aware of it when it was active. SB 3081 could have, and *should* have hurt McCain tremendously in the 2010 election.