Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gary Johnson please run for the senate

Gary Johnson please run for the senate

I think its pretty clear that the Liberty movement has backed Ron Paul. Having you in the debates was ok but I don't think it helped out Ron as much as some thought it would. I really don't think your campaign will go anywhere and you have a much better chance at winning the senate and fighting for Liberty there. Please consider running for senate and drop out before the Ames straw poll. The Liberty Movement must unite around one candidate and Ron Paul needs every single vote.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Johnson helped the debate. There's no doubt about that and there's no reason to tell him to get out right now.

I was originally opposed to his campaign and wanted him to run for Senate but I think it's good he's in the debate with Ron.

Imagine if Ron was the only person to not raise a hand in favor of torture last night!
    Imagine if Ron was the only person talking about reforming drug policy last night!
    It would have been 2008 all over again for Ron Paul.

Also, the way Gary Johnson was treated last night by FOX shows that they are (for the most part) treating him like the Ron Paul of 2008.
    No offense (I know it's wrong) but this will overall help Ron Paul.
    Last edited by RileyE104; 05-06-2011 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RileyE104 View Post
    Also, the way Gary Johnson was treated last night by FOX shows that they are (for the most part) treating him like the Ron Paul of 2008.
    That's exactly how I saw it. It's almost as if Gary Johnson is playing a role of 'sacrificial lamb' to help the Paul campaign. When Ron Paul wins, I sincerely hope that GJ gets a role in his cabinet, because I find him to be a good man, but he stumbled a lot last night and yes, they're largely ignoring him.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Johnson helped the debate. There's no doubt about that and there's no reason to tell him to get out right now.

I was originally opposed to his campaign and wanted him to run for Senate but I think it's good he's in the debate with Ron.

Imagine if Ron was the only person to not raise a hand in favor of torture last night!
    Imagine if Ron was the only person talking about reforming drug policy last night!
    It would have been 2008 all over again for Ron Paul.

No offense (I know it's wrong) but this will overall help Ron Paul.
    I think he hurt Ron by people tying them together. The GOP knows Ron by now, they KNOW he is against torture. Now they wonder about Gary's issues.

Gary has a right to run for anything he wants but to pretend this does anything but hurt his opponents, particularly Ron who has overlapping issues, is disingenuous, imho
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

same here. he only helps.

2 of the 5 were liberty candidates; plenty of time to unify later on. and the exposure only helps Johnson for senate
    Last edited by cindy25; 05-06-2011 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    to pretend this does anything but hurt his opponents, particularly Ron who has overlapping issues, is disingenuous, imho

I disagree. If Johnson wasn't there Pawlenty, Santorum and Cain would have dominated the entire debate and Ron's views would have been largely marginalized.

Im glad GJ was there, even though he brought his jazz hands

Are you kidding me? How can anyone NOT see that Gary being there helped RP?? When the two guys on the end didn't raise their hand regarding water boarding, I got goosebumps. It was $#@!ing awesome. We're building a liberty army.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    you are not thinking long term. Gary is missing out on a chance to be in the senate. yeah its great he will be in a few debates but overall his campaign doesn't help Ron Paul as much as some think

Quote Originally Posted by RCA View Post
    Are you kidding me? How can anyone NOT see that Gary being there helped RP?? When the two guys on the end didn't raise their hand regarding water boarding, I got goosebumps. It was $#@!ing awesome. We're building a liberty army.
    Exactly.

However, I'm disappointed that Gary didn't speak up on WHY he opposes torture when Santorum started attacking Ron after Ron declared that it doesn't help.

'Carl Sagan on Quaalude' needs public speaking advisers/skills...

The rigged polls are trying to push Gary out so Ron Paul will be exploited in the future as fringe/radical/unelectable/etc... compared to these establishment fixed hacks.
    Last edited by HOLLYWOOD; 05-06-2011 at 11:36 AM.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
    you are not thinking long term. Gary is missing out on a chance to be in the senate. yeah its great he will be in a few debates but overall his campaign doesn't help Ron Paul as much as some think
    It helps in the debates. That's all that matters.
    As long as Gary doesn't try to attack Ron.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Paul/Johnson ticket.

I like GJ there and he's fine hanging around a little longer, building a profile. Hopefully he uses that to drop out of the Presidential race, endorse Ron, and then run for Senate.
    “When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank. You tell me that if I take the deposits from the bank and annul its charter I shall ruin ten thousand families. That may be true, gentlemen, but that is your sin! Should I let you go on, you will ruin fifty thousand families, and that would be my sin! You are a den of vipers and thieves. I have determined to rout you out, and by the Eternal, I will rout you out!”
    ― Andrew Jackson

It helps in the debates. That's all that matters.
    As long as Gary doesn't try to attack Ron.
    I don't think it helps at all, except Gary. I see why Gary is doing it, for Gary. But it isn't helpful to Ron to be lumped in as 'one of the libertarians' in every discussion of debates, particularly when Gary's views on abortion etc are NOT Ron's and would to GOP primary voters underline the stereotype of what libertarian means.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Ron's always said it's about the message not the man.

It's clear to me that having a two-time governor backing up his positions on stage helps legitimize Ron with curious Republicans.

If Gary is denying him delegates post New Hampshire, only then we can talk about detrimental effects.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The way I see it is if we're going to change as a society, we need this message to be broadcast as much as possible. Even if Johnson and Paul cancel eachother out and some hack ends up president, the people will be more likely to elect the message in the future. Johnson as a Senator, and get Rand Paul in the white house in 2016.

But Ron Paul is sharp and articulate, so I think he'll win the battle between the two. It's healthy. I see no real downside here.
    O.B.A.M.A. = One Big Ass Mistake, America

it isn't helpful to Ron to be lumped in as 'one of the libertarians' in every discussion of debates
    It's better to be "one of the libertarians" than "the libertarian" of the debate.

particularly when Gary's views on abortion etc are NOT Ron's and would to GOP primary voters underline the stereotype of what libertarian means.
    In the debate, Ron was properly classified as pro-life, no question whatsoever, when Johnson was called out for being the only "pro-choice" candidate.

gary can run for senate after he runs for president so mute issue if i am correct!! drop it and move on geez
    2016 gop est business as usual, rules do not apply.

Quote Originally Posted by drednot View Post
    Ron's always said it's about the message not the man.

It's clear to me that having a two-time governor backing up his positions on stage helps legitimize Ron with curious Republicans.

If Gary is denying him delegates post New Hampshire, only then we can talk about detrimental effects.
    'denying him' one percent in a poll can be the margin between the three way ties he's been in for third place and being in third by himself which is very different and gives a much more 'electable' image. Support whom you want, he isn't helping Ron.

It's better to be "one of the libertarians" than "the libertarian" of the debate.

In the debate, Ron was properly classified as pro-life, no question whatsoever, when Johnson was called out for being the only "pro-choice" candidate.
    No it isn't because Ron defines what that means when it is just him, as far as the GOP is concerned.

Some here really want Gary in, but I don't see how anyone can colorably pretend it is to Ron's benefit.

Support whom you want, he isn't helping Ron.
    Yet many pundits and others on this board who were in your camp, now disagree.

I'm still divided on whether having Johnson in these early debates helps or not. Who knows, if the other "big names" get in for the next one, he may not even be around next time if they set a 1-5% threshold.

I kind of felt sorry for Johnson last night. They really asked him a lot of poor questions (that reality show jibe - what the heck?), and he was not a polished debater. Ron Paul isn't always a perfect speaker, but he has the advantage of being passionate and clever with humor and certain turns of phrase. Johnson lacks that.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaFanNKy View Post
    Yet many pundits and others on this board who were in your camp, now disagree.
    Pundits who want Gary more than Ron....who who want Ron to win?

I believe there are some in the wider 'liberty movement' who have been waiting for Ron to quit sucking the oxygen from the room, and with Rand coming on see this as their last chance in a generation, potentially. I couldn't say if they are right about that or not, since I don't think the candidates they are picking would ever be picked above Ron or Rand by people who like Rand. However, they call that being better for the movement, but only for the aspects the Pauls don't represent, which aspects happen to not interest me much. I AM interested in maximizing Ron's run.
    Last edited by sailingaway; 05-06-2011 at 12:40 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    How long does Gary have before he can jump out and run for senate? I think its fine if he stays in till august and the endorses Ron. In the end its votes that count and if Gary ends up taking votes away from Ron (in Iowa and New Hampshire) we have a problem.

Pundits who want Gary more than Ron....who who want Ron to win?

I believe there are some in the wider 'liberty movement' who have been waiting for Ron to quit sucking the oxygen from the room, and with Rand coming on see this as their last chance in a generation, potentially. I couldn't say if they are right about that or not, since I don't think the candidates they are picking would ever be picked above Ron or Rand by people who like Rand. However, they call that being better for the movement, but only for the aspects the Pauls don't represent, which aspects happen to not interest me much. I AM interested in maximizing Ron's run.
    Actually, a few were Ron Paul supporters. Even Peter Schiff likes Gary there. You and the few anger bears pre-debate are left on the limb thinking Gary was aiming at RP supporters. Dude went straight after moderates (non Social Cons) and mainly dems last night.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
    How long does Gary have before he can jump out and run for senate? I think its fine if he stays in till august and the endorses Ron. In the end its votes that count and if Gary ends up taking votes away from Ron (in Iowa and New Hampshire) we have a problem.
    The straw poll is in June.

Yeah Bamafan but Schiff didn't get much support and probably thinks some is because so many pitched behind Rand. You remember how his supporters used to come onto Rand's forum and pitch him. He's better about it than some, in part I think because he really doesn't care as much if he wins office, and thinks the running is good for business, but I think the oxygen thing has crossed his mind, too.

You are mischaractorizing my concerns. It was about Gary's supporters here.
    Last edited by sailingaway; 05-06-2011 at 01:41 PM.

The straw poll is in June.

Yeah Bamafan but Schiff didn't get much support and probably thinks some is because so many pitched behind Rand. You remember how his supporters used to come onto Rand's forum and pitch him. He's better about it than some, in part I think because he really doesn't care as much if he wins office, and thinks the running is good for business, but I think the oxygen thing has crossed his mind, too.

You are mischaractorizing my concerns. It was about Gary's supporters here.
    I think only one supporter actually tried to get money. The rest defended wrong data on Gary. I did the same and got labeled a GJ supporter. I just knew that it was going to look good that we had 40% of the right message on stage last night.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaFanNKy View Post
    I think only one supporter actually tried to get money. The rest defended wrong data on Gary. I did the same and got labeled a GJ supporter. I just knew that it was going to look good that we had 40% of the right message on stage last night.
    i disagree that that was the case, but clearly there is more than one interpretation. I feel as strongly about mine as you do about yours, however.

i disagree that that was the case, but clearly there is more than one interpretation. I feel as strongly about mine as you do about yours, however.
    So, you would have preferred Ron be the only person with his hand raised on the controversial topics?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast