Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WANTED: 1,100 delegates for WV GOP Convention

WANTED: 1,100 delegates for WV GOP Convention

The way to get 18 of the 27 WV delegates for Ron Paul is to stack the convention. This will take lots of planning! If you are interested in being a delegate to the state convention in February of 2012 or simply helping the effort, please PM or e-mail me your:

Name
    Phone
    County
    County coordinator, Delegate, and/or voter

We need 551 votes to win the delegates on the first vote! We should know the # of delegates per county sometime in June. I am working on a list of Ron Paul supporters by county so we can fill the slots. Thanks in advance!
    Fred H.
    West Virginia Delegate At-Large Candidate
    WV State Republican Primary is May 8th, 2012 - Make sure to vote for the RNC delegates "Committed to Paul"
    Check the West Virginia section for Ron Paul news and events in West Virginia!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Okay I've been dying to ask this question.

How do you get to be a delegate to vote for Ron Paul?

WHAT are the requirements and what you have to do become one. Please help!

Quote Originally Posted by Chowder View Post
    Okay I've been dying to ask this question.

How do you get to be a delegate to vote for Ron Paul?

WHAT are the requirements and what you have to do become one. Please help!
    This varies GREATLY by state, as does whether or not being a delegate of the sort the OP talks about is effective.

You'll want to touch base with your LA people. torchbearer springs to mind, but I know there are many others.

WVLiberty - Mon county had a lot of RP delegates last time. The biggest problem was, imo, wrangling the resources of the sparse counties. Those outlying areas basically ran a whole family for delegates, all voted for one another, and boom they were Huck people or Romney people.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Okay so how do I go about this?

What government place would most likely have the info on this, like who should I call. And if I can should I or should I not tell them I'm supporting Ron Paul for president? I want to be a delegate, I'm 25 yrs old, I'm a college student. I don't have any criminal record, etc. I live in Louisiana West Virginia is not my state.

Hopefully one of the state's they'll have a paid campaign field worker will be in West Virginia. If not, then the grassroots supporters of Paul should set up their own campaign committee to coordinate their efforts in signing up delegates county by county.

First, this is strictly for the West Virginia convention in early February 2012, NOT the national GOP convention. In West Virginia, 18 of the 27 national delegates are allocated at the State Convention held in February. The other 9 are allocated in a primary election (classic voting).

The roughly 1,100 "delegates" are voted for on-line in January of 2012.
    1) Register on the State GOP website (once set-up).
    2) Sign up as a delegate or voter (or both).
    3) Round up folks to vote for you
    4) Vote on-line

Each delegate runs for a presidential candidate or as unspecified. When you vote on-line, you can see which candidate the person is running for.

At the convention, there are rounds of voting until a single candidate gets over 50% of the delegates votes. That candidate gets the 18 delegates for the national GOP convention.

In the 2008 process, Ron Paul did not have delegates in certain counties. We need to fix that in 2012!

I will make sure to post the process here and other places. If you are running for a delegate, it is important to have your friends register online and vote for you!
    Fred H.
    WV State Republican Primary is May 8th, 2012 - Make sure to vote for the RNC delegates "Committed to Paul"

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Paul View Post
    If not, then the grassroots supporters of Paul should set up their own campaign committee to coordinate their efforts in signing up delegates county by county.
    That is the plan! By December, we'll be a well oiled machine and rock the world! This happens EARLY in the process near Iowa and New Hampshire. It will be a HUGE deal nationally WHEN we win it for Dr. Paul! It's gonna be awesome!
    Fred H.

I moved to Clarksburg, WV in november of 2010. I supported Ron Paul last election but want to do more this time. Do you think it's possible/likely for me to become a delegate this time? I'm 23 and clean history, etc.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by vroomery View Post
    I moved to Clarksburg, WV in november of 2010. I supported Ron Paul last election but want to do more this time. Do you think it's possible/likely for me to become a delegate this time? I'm 23 and clean history, etc.
    Yes, absolutely. Your county most definitely has a website. Find it and contact them. If they don't email you back then call them until you can reach them. Tell them you are interested in becoming a precinct captain. They will likely be very receptive and helpful. Become a precinct captain and connect with other RP supporters to become a delegate. It is not a huge responsibility and you will get your own precinct to walk. You will also be able to attend the convention. I can't stress the importance of this enough.
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Also, to WVliberty: i would definitely go on facebook and connect with the RP supporters for your state group. You can send them private messages and just send them more info on becoming a precinct captain and stress the importance of it. Let them know that they will be a HUGE help to getting RP elected.

Quote Originally Posted by vroomery View Post
    I moved to Clarksburg, WV in November of 2010. I supported Ron Paul last election but want to do more this time. Do you think it's possible/likely for me to become a delegate this time? I'm 23 and clean history, etc.
    The WVGOP should have the details on the convention and the delegate process by the end of June (2011). I will check with them and make sure everyone knows the rules. I will work on a one-page cheat sheet (handout) to simplify the process.

Make sure you are a registered Republican. The convention is party-only. WV is not an open primary state.

Getting active at your county level is important. You will need voters in your county to get you elected as a delegate to the convention.
    Fred H.

I'm in this time.. missed being a delegate last time around since I was very inexperienced in politics as most Paul supporters, tho I was at the convention. I will pm you my info asap!

Here is the latest on the 2012 convention.

The WV GOP is holding their Summer meeting on July 22-23, 2011. They will make the final decision regarding the convention then. Hopefully we'll have the details then and we can plan our strategy for Ron Paul to win West Virginia!

MOUNTAINEERS ARE ALWAYS FREE! (Unless you are a little kid with a lemonade stand. In that case they'll shut you down without permits and licenses!)
    Fred H.

bump

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    does anyone know the general cost of being a delegate is?

Per melissaWV the process from 2008 was that you would get put on the ballot to be a state delegate and get people to vote for you. If voted in you would go to the state convention on super Tuesday and vote Ron Paul. I'm hoping this is still the process. We'll find out soon enough I guess!

Looks like we are going back to the primary format. I guess the establishment was afraid that the RP grass roots team would pull off the victory!

State GOP returns to primary election
    By The Associated Press

SHEPHERDSTOWN, W.Va. -- West Virginia Republicans are going back to choosing their national convention delegates in a primary.

Four years ago, the party experimented with selecting some of its delegates in a primary and some at a state convention. West Virginia GOP executive director Chad Holland says the party's Executive Committee unanimously voted Saturday to select all delegates to the 2012 national party convention at a May 8 primary.

Holland says several alternatives were discussed during a lengthy meeting in Shepherdstown. But he says committee members believe voters prefer the primary selection method, which was routinely used before 2008.
    Fred H.

So delegates are way less important now? Is it even worth being a delegate then?

Bump! Let's go WV! Let is not be said that we did nothing!

Unless you want to get more involved in the inner workings of the state GOP, there is not much point in being a delegate.

We'll still do everything we can to spread the word about Ron Paul but the nomination will likely be determined by the May 8th date. We just went from having a small voice to having almost NO voice.
    Fred H.

Damnit. I was really looking forward to this. I guarantee the establishment didn't want us to organize and win a state for Ron Paul. That's just not acceptable.
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

Quote Originally Posted by WVLiberty View Post
    ... there is not much point in being a delegate.
    no one can be a County Delegate to the State Convention as there will be no State Convention this time around.

word was, the Romney people on the State Committee decided it better not to fight than to risk losing, again - so they took WV off the map - no State Convention - word is Mitt is still POed at them, LOL - - the silver lining is that campaigning will be more straight forward - no path to the State Convention to navigate.
    Edward Ross Burgess
    2008 Ron Paul Delegate to the Republican National Convention
    "Ya can't win the Run Off Election unless yer in it." ~Edward R Burgess
    Knowledge is power, get some!
    http://mcgeehan2014.com/

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

There is no WV GOP Convention for 2012 they have gone back to primary voting for delegates

Hello,

2008 was the first and only WV GOP convention. I was a delegate to that convention. Anyway if you want to be a ddelegate to the GOP National Convention in 2012 in August of 2012 you must run on the ballot in the May 2012 primary as a delegate. The voters will elect so many from each congressional district who will then go onto the National convention in August.

Go to http://www.sos.wv.gov/Pages/default.aspx

The Kanawha/Putnam County group is meeting Saturday, November 19th at 2:00pm to discuss delegates. All Ron Paul supporters are invited!

Description:
    We need to recruit a slate of delegates loyal to Ron Paul. This requires planning, coordination and a serious commitment due to the approximately $2,000 cost of travel and lodging. If you're interested in being a delegate and looking to share a room and/or ride instead of fly, we'll discuss that too.

301 Morris Street
    Charleston, WV 25311
    Fred H.

What is your email address I am highly interested in attending

I am confused on this entire delegate thing but highly interested in being involved can someone explain?

Sorry for the confusion. The (screwed up) process was explained to me this way.

When you go to the polls on May 8th, there are TWO elections. The first one with the candidate names (Ron Paul, Romney, Cain, etc.) is almost meaningless.

The second part is the election of delegates to the national GOP convention. THIS IS THE KEY PART. This ballot will say .... John Doe (Ron Paul), Jane Doe (Mitt Romney), Bill Smith (undeclared) etc. It is critical that you vote for the GOP convention delegate candidates declared for Ron Paul. The first ballot where you vote for Ron Paul is really just pointless.

Only West Virginia could come up with such a stupid process! This appears to be set up to favor the establishment candidates and the name recognition of their convention delegate candidates! Heaven forbid that the citizens should simply vote for the candidate!
    Fred H.

well, damn. I was about to broadcast this info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast