Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Ron Paul should run for president for the Libertarian Party

Why Ron Paul should run for president for the Libertarian Party

If Ron wanted to spread the idea of libertarianism, then he should really run for president under the Libertarian Party. I think that is our only hope, to create a third party to make the Republican Party irrelevant. If Ron ran as a LP candidate, and encouraged the LP to have a libertarian candidate for every Congressional race and as many state legislative races as possible, the libertarian message would get broad publicity. Libertarianism gets misconstrued as some sort of radical conservative ideology when a Republican is also a libertarian. Libertarianism and conservatism are distinct ideologies, with some similarities regarding economics and gun rights. Beyond that, they are incompatible with one another.

(this was a response I gave in another thread, but thought it would be good enough to start a new thread)

We need THOUSANDS of Ron Pauls running for every office possible. Expecting one 76 year old man to fix things is completely unrealistic. The Republican Party DOES not want libertarians in their ranks. They want "conservatives" in the Republican Party. Ron Paul is the only person who could lead enough libertarians out of the Republican Party and into the Libertarian Party so that it would truly be a force to be reckoned with.
    --------------------------------------------
    First step to ending the income tax: end payroll tax withholding.
    Require each American to write a check to their state and federal governments every month.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Haven't we gone over this a thousand times before? Why do we need another thread about this?
    "Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."-Étienne de La Boétie

If he does not get the nomination then I really wish he would run 3rd party. I think he would gather enough votes from both sides to make it a good 3 way race with him probably coming out on top. I actually have more liberals I work with that agree with him than I do neo-cons.

- ML

Review your assumptions after Ron Paul wins the Ames straw poll.

Quote Originally Posted by Vessol View Post
    Haven't we gone over this a thousand times before? Why do we need another thread about this?
    Because maybe there are people who agree with me and want to get the revolution rolling to the next level. If you want to get bogged down in the Establishment controlled Republican Party, expecting one man to save us all, then good luck with that.
    Require each American to write a check to their state and federal governments every month.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Landon View Post
    If he does not get the nomination then I really wish he would run 3rd party. I think he would gather enough votes from both sides to make it a good 3 way race with him probably coming out on top. I actually have more liberals I work with that agree with him than I do neo-cons.

- ML
    Yes, as a Republican, many people instantly dismiss him as just another Republican, but a lone kook Republican. If Ron were to run as a Libertarian, with thousands of fellow Libertarians on the ballots all over the nation, that would give libertarianism much more credibility.

Quote Originally Posted by MN Patriot View Post
    Yes, as a Republican, many people instantly dismiss him as just another Republican, but a lone kook Republican. If Ron were to run as a Libertarian, with thousands of fellow Libertarians on the ballots all over the nation getting very few votes, that would not give libertarianism much more credibility.
    FTFY.

(In case you want to flame me, I am a registered member of the Libertarian Party—at least until the primaries.)

Sore loser laws + intentional limiting of third parties = fail idea. It's been covered ad nauseum. I wish people would realize it's a dumb idea that won't go anywhere.
    I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. -Thomas Jefferson

third parties are not viable now.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is the second time I felt like I needed to post this today:

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by GK Chesterton
    It is often supposed that when people stop believing in God, they believe in nothing. Alas, it is worse than that. When they stop believing in God, they believe in anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rt. Hon. Edmund Burke
    Nothing is so fatal to religion as indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by nate895 View Post

Agreed...

Is 40 years of not winning federal elections not enough? Those pushing RP to run LP remind me of the folks who think government is still the solution even after failing all this time...

LP = NO media coverage. No televised debates or airtime to spread the message.

Plus, LP is a eunuch as far as political leverage and strength goes.
    "It is not enough these days to simply question authority. You must speak with it, too."
    -Taylor Mali

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Aldanga View Post
    FTFY.

(In case you want to flame me, I am a registered member of the Libertarian Party—at least until the primaries.)

Sore loser laws + intentional limiting of third parties = fail idea. It's been covered ad nauseum. I wish people would realize it's a dumb idea that won't go anywhere.
    So why are you a registered member of the LP, if you think third parties are a dumb idea?
    Yes, it has been covered ad nauseum, because people have been conditioned to think third parties will always fail. I am trying to challenge that mindset. As soon as they see something about third parties, they reflectively say what has been brainwashed into them by the Establishment that does not want third parties.

If enough people decide to dedicate themselves to a third party, it can succeed.

At this stage of the game, sore loser laws are irrelevant. Ron could easily get the Libertarian endorsement in 2012, get enough LP candidates on all the ballots. Run as a Republican until the fall, then switch parties. The only problem is whether or not the LP is capable of rising to the challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTyke View Post
    Agreed...

Is 40 years of not winning federal elections not enough? Those pushing RP to run LP remind me of the folks who think government is still the solution even after failing all this time...
    And in those 40 years, when did the LP ever have a presidential candidate with the recognition and broad support of Ron Paul? The LP has never had a full slate of Congressional candidates.

Going on past performance is no guarantee of future results. (Ever see that before?)

So why are you a registered member of the LP, if you think third parties are a dumb idea?
    Yes, it has been covered ad nauseum, because people have been conditioned to think third parties will always fail. I am trying to challenge that mindset. As soon as they see something about third parties, they reflectively say what has been brainwashed into them by the Establishment that does not want third parties.

If enough people decide to dedicate themselves to a third party, it can succeed.

At this stage of the game, sore loser laws are irrelevant. Ron could easily get the Libertarian endorsement in 2012, get enough LP candidates on all the ballots. Run as a Republican until the fall, then switch parties. The only problem is whether or not the LP is capable of rising to the challenge.
    couldn't the LP nominate its slate of electors to ron paul either way? if they really want him, the could assign their electors to him. he does not need to give you permission to have electors vote for him.
    that is all a presidential ballot is- a slate of electors who promise to vote(but aren't bound) for a certain candidate.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

good thing I put MN Patriot on my ignore list earlier in the afternoon, because all of his posts i read are about pimping the LP
    Last edited by low preference guy; 05-04-2011 at 09:18 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by mport1 View Post
    Parties are stupid and meaningless. Why run for the LP and get absolutely no media coverage? Running for a major party is the best way to get the message out through politics.
    Running as a lone libertarian for the Republican Party is the best way to be marginalized. Ron Paul proved that in 2008.

Running as a lone libertarian for the Republican Party is the best way to be marginalized. Ron Paul proved that in 2008.
    Have you been following the events since 2008? Ron Paul was a no-name Texas Congressman in 2007. This year he is the leader of a grassroots movement.
    http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by GK Chesterton
    It is often supposed that when people stop believing in God, they believe in nothing. Alas, it is worse than that. When they stop believing in God, they believe in anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rt. Hon. Edmund Burke
    Nothing is so fatal to religion as indifference.

I held the office of vice-chair of the lalp once upon a time. a member of their central committee for a decade.
    ron paul did more for the liberty movement in his two years running as a gop presidential candidate, than we did in the lp over our lifetime.
    he was in the debates. we weren't.
    if you don't see that he is right in his path, no reason/logic will reach you.
    Last edited by torchbearer; 05-04-2011 at 09:21 PM.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Quote Originally Posted by low preference guy View Post
    good thing I put MN Patriot on my ignore list earlier in the afternoon, because all of his posts i read are about pimping the LP
    Whatever. Visionaries are the ones getting flamed until enough people wake up and realize they have been right all along.

Quote Originally Posted by torchbearer View Post
    I held the office of vice-chair of the lalp once upon a time. a member of their central committee for a decade.
    ron paul did more for the liberty movement in his two years running as a gop presidential candidate, than we did in the lp over our lifetime.
    he was in the debates. we weren't.
    if you don't see that he is right in his path, no reason/logic will reach you.
    Ross Perot was in the debates as a third party candidate.

Ron has done well, I give him lots of credit. But there will come a point when libertarians will have to decide if they really want to trudge along with conservatives in the Republican Party.

Please explain the reason/logic of libertarians trying to co-opt the Republican Party.

I am a registered member of the LP because I got sick to my stomach when I thought about my registration in the GOP. It was also a symbolic move when the LP candidate for governor was trying to get the LP full party status in my state.

This system is built for two parties, and I don't expect that to change anytime soon. Either play the game or go home. Hoping and wishing that you will convince enough people to vote third party is ridiculous.
    I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. -Thomas Jefferson

Note the video I'm posting tomorrow. Panel Discussion.
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?p=F4DE6D99CEBD778E
    Last edited by AdamT; 05-04-2011 at 09:28 PM.
    For Liberty - Feature-length doc about the 2008 R3V | Twitter

Ross Perot was in the debates as a third party candidate.

Ron has done well, I give him lots of credit. But there will come a point when libertarians will have to decide if they really want to trudge along with conservatives in the Republican Party.

Please explain the reason/logic of libertarians trying to co-opt the Republican Party.
    libertarians came from the gop. they left during nixons big government/fake money administration.
    a group of guys who had given up on the gop.
    but not all libertarians left the gop. the party is as much the abolitionist party as it is the neocons party.
    we are taking the ship back.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Have you been following the events since 2008? Ron Paul was a no-name Texas Congressman in 2007. This year he is the leader of a grassroots movement.
    Yes, and I contend he should take that grassroots movement and create a third party that will eventually put the Republican Party out of business. Give the voters an honest choice instead of the phony two party system we have now.

No, I don't like it. Too me it would only serve to make him look more "fringe." He can run and hopefully get the GOP nomination, if that doesn't work out he can spend his time endorsing liberty candidates.
    “When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank. You tell me that if I take the deposits from the bank and annul its charter I shall ruin ten thousand families. That may be true, gentlemen, but that is your sin! Should I let you go on, you will ruin fifty thousand families, and that would be my sin! You are a den of vipers and thieves. I have determined to rout you out, and by the Eternal, I will rout you out!”
    ― Andrew Jackson

Give the voters an honest choice instead of the phony two party system we have now.
    The voters have an honest choice because Ron Paul is on the ballot. Everything else you say is bull$#@!.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeStanart View Post
    Why don't you facepalmers man up and put out some REAL arguments.

I know them already. 3rd partys = fale. No medea. Sore looser laws.

Why wouldn't Ron Paul as a Libertarian candidate WHO WOULD GUARANTEED TO BE ON THE BALLOT NATIONWIDE, with a full slate of Libertarian congressional candidates, plus state candidates, promote his ideas more effectively than ONE 76 YEAR OLD MAN WHO WILL FAIL TO RECEIVE THE REPUBLICAN NOMINATION?

These guys all proved the best way to be marginalized is to run for the Libertarian Party:

John Hospers
    Roger MacBride
    Ed Clark
    David Bergland
    Congressman Ron Paul
    Andre Marrou
    Harry Browne
    Michael Badnarik
    Bob Barr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast