Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rand Paul releases statement on death of Bin Laden

Rand Paul releases statement on death of Bin Laden

“I commend our troops, the intelligence community, and the military leaders involved in both the administrations of Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama for their perseverance and courage in pursuit of this most grievous enemy of the United States of America.”

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm sure this should make Thursday night VERY interesting to watch.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Well, it's going to be people slapping Bush's back.

Wish that was a little different....

Well Rand sure did decide to play politics with that statement!
    Last edited by anaconda; 05-01-2011 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thehighwaymanq View Post
    Wish that was a little different....
    Rand is right. There's nothing wrong with using special ops forces to take out individual terrorists. If anything, this event shows that targeting individual terrorists works much better than occupying foreign countries with 100,000 troops and spending trillions of dollars on nation building.

Not so much interested in westernizing or nation building.

But totally support targeting of these terrorist idiots. I mean really blowing up a bunch of cubicle workers. WTF did he think he was accomplishing? Really glad to hear he's dead.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    I don't think so. I agree with that entire statement and I have no reason to think Rand is lying or playing politics.
    Ron Paul: "For those who have asked, I freely confess that Jesus Christ is my personal Savior, and that I seek His guidance in all that I do."

the May 5th S.C GOP debate looms!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackTerrel View Post
    I don't think so. I agree with that entire statement and I have no reason to think Rand is lying or playing politics.
    i think he's being sarcastic

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    Rand is right. There's nothing wrong with using special ops forces to take out individual terrorists. If anything, this event shows that targeting individual terrorists works much better than occupying foreign countries with 100,000 troops and spending trillions of dollars on nation building.
    granted by congress.
    Knowledge is Liberty!

I doubt Rand wrote that (I have no firsthand knowledge on this matter), probably a staffer.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

It was written by Rand but edited. Original text:
    “Right, I commend our troops, the intelligence community, and the military leaders involved in both the administrations of Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama who had the Sword of Damocles over their head and the interesting thing is their perseverance and courage in pursuit of this most grievous enemy of the United States of America.”

Quote Originally Posted by BamaFanNKy View Post
    Of course.... this is already out there.
    LOL, have to admit, it's kinda funny.

Hopefully the whole birth certificate nonsense will vanish now. One cannot go on about Obama not being an American citizen after Osama has just been killed.

On a more important issue, now that Osama is allegedly dead, this could really help Ron's argument about ending combat in the Middle East. For many Americans, I suspect this moment could be used as closure, in a war that everyone wants to to be done with.

Quote Originally Posted by amisspelledword View Post
    i think he's being sarcastic
    You think Rand was being sarcastic?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This +1000

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    LOL, on matters such as this one, for politicians, its either say what is perfectly politically correct to say, or face the oblivion of your political career.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaFanNKy View Post
    It was written by Rand but edited. Original text:
    Hahaha. You forgot the "mmm-hmm" at the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Galileo Galilei View Post
    granted by congress.
    This. We have no congressional authority at all to be in Pakistan.

But the TROOPS are a different matter. Saying they did a good job isn't wrong.

I'd have probably stayed out of it, myself.
    Last edited by sailingaway; 05-02-2011 at 05:49 AM.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Quote Originally Posted by KurtBoyer25L View Post
    Hahaha. You forgot the "mmm-hmm" at the beginning.
    and "the interesting thing is..."

Quote Originally Posted by sirgonzo420 View Post
    and "the interesting thing is..."
    It was in there. Read again.

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post

Mind telling me how this action was not contitutional? Even if we hadn't had the support of the Pakistan government for the operation.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post

Rand did the right thing, we agree on that.
    Knowledge is Liberty!

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slutter McGee View Post
    Mind telling me how this action was not contitutional? Even if we hadn't had the support of the Pakistan government for the operation.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee
    That's what I've been wondering. Taking out an individual terrorist with the permission of the Pakistan government is quite different from invading the country of Pakistan and trying to overthrow their government. The operation to kill Bin Laden wasn't an example of "a war."

obama/bush 2012 we got your back!! now on your knees motherf%$kers
    2016 gop est business as usual, rules do not apply.

How long do you guys think the Paul's should wait before they start talking about bringing the troops home?

Quote Originally Posted by discing_engineer View Post
    How long do you guys think the Paul's should wait before they start talking about bringing the troops home?
    Why should they wait at all? Strike now, while the iron is hot!

EDIT: And when did Ron STOP talking about it?
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

That's what I've been wondering. Taking out an individual terrorist with the permission of the Pakistan government is quite different from invading the country of Pakistan and trying to overthrow their government. The operation to kill Bin Laden wasn't an example of "a war."
    pakistan had no idea we were in there.

they scrambled fighter jets because we had to blow up one of our downed helicopters and the explosion caught them by surprise.
    Those Who Do Not Move, Do Not Notice Their Chains.

I think Rand is right on the money. I don't particularly care for all of the conspiracy theories I'm hearing/seeing. I certainly don't care for some of the images and posts I'm seeing on Facebook and Twitter either. It makes me a little sick, to be completely honest.

We all greatly dislike Osama Bin Laden. We don't like what he did to our nation. I'm appalled at some of the things I'm seeing good Americans post today. There is a limit to what we should be saying and posting.

Do I think Osama Bin Laden got what was coming to him? Certainly. If anything, Karma caught up with him. Although, I would have greatly preferred to see him tried in a court for his crimes against humanity as opposed to him being shot. Then again, we don't really know the whole story. I'd rather not run with conspiracy theories either.

I want to believe that we did what was right for America on May 1. I want to look forward at a bright future for American foreign policy. It is time for us to thank those who did a good job, give them their due, and start focusing on pulling our troops out. That's the next step.

I hope that we are able to see our troops coming home in the next few weeks. Do I think that will happen? No. I think there will be "more work to be done". And that's sad, really. It's too soon to say what the general perspective in the country is right now other than being glad that we're closing out this chapter, but... I hope that more people are on board with the "bring our troops home" message than the "hunt down the other bad guys" message that I think is going to emerge from this resolution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast