Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $60 Million dollars spent on a high school stadium!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

$60 Million dollars spent on a high school stadium!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you kidding me!!!

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/spo...ium.cnn?hpt=T2

You know how much real estate taxes could of been lowered in that area with that 60 million. I would be livid if I lived there!
    "They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    -Benjamin Franklin

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike4Freedom View Post
    Are you kidding me!!!

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/spo...ium.cnn?hpt=T2

You know how much real estate taxes could of been lowered in that area with that 60 million. I would be livid if I lived there!
    But how then will they entertain the mundanes?

My school spent $8 million. We aren't even in a rich area...

Our student base is around 1,500.
    Last edited by kah13176; 04-30-2011 at 09:32 AM.
    "It is not enough these days to simply question authority. You must speak with it, too."
    -Taylor Mali

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."
    -Samuel Adams

Love the justification: Spend $40 Million in taxpayer money, to destroy $47 Million in property value, to save $140K per year. What's the return on that again?

This Texas Town Is Building A $40M Bus Barn*, To Go With Its $60 Million High School Football Stadium
    http://www.businessinsider.com/bus-b...#ixzz1fDCI3Ead

The same board that approved a $60 million high school football stadium in Allen, Texas a few years back now intends to throw tax dollars at a $40 million industrial bus depot directly across from a local elementary school, according to a group of angry local residents fighting the school district's mega plans.

Naturally, this hasn't settled well with many residents of the Dallas suburb, especially given the current state of the economy.
    Tim Vhun is part of a group of local residents trying to stop the Allen ISD board from moving forward with the new site. But according to Vhun, backdoor discussions suggest that the monster 130,000 sq. ft. complex is already a done deal.

The Allen ISD board claims the consolidated facility will save $140,000/year by containing everything on one large piece of land. Residents argue this would be at the hefty cost of $47 million in destroyed property values, increased traffic, and pollution dangers from hundreds of diesel buses.

Concerned town members are expressing their issues with the bus complex through stopthebarn.org.
    Although a petition with more than 1,300 signatures is making the rounds, complaints have mostly fallen on deaf ears, says Vhun.
    In an email, Vhun said the Allen ISD board has been unresponsive to the idea of retrofitting existing sites at considerably less cost. The board's inability to manage the town's budget has also resulted in teacher lay-offs and increased property taxes.
    The 240-vehicle parking garage, built on a 42-acre lot, will serve as a maintenance hub with fueling stations and drive-through bus wash and warehouse unit for bulk storage.

If you're interested in the Top 10 High School stadiums built with taxpayers dollars: http://www.businessinsider.com/allen...adiums-2011-2#

The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

That is a butt load of property tax money

mommy why are we eating ketchup packets?

high
    school
    football
    !

It is a local issue for the residents. It appears they voted for it so they must want it.
    Insanity should be defined as trusting the government to solve a problem they caused in the first place. Please do not go insane!

sounds like its going to be one of the nicer Prison ... I mean safety camps.
    Terminus tela viaticus!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonySutton View Post
    It is a local issue for the residents. It appears they voted for it so they must want it.
    People always vote FOR school bonds. I have never seen one not get passed simply because people think of it the same as the department of education "The kids will benefit". Then the money gets just wasted in bureaucracy and worthless spending. My school district raised taxes to build a weight room about 8 years ago. They built it, it wasn't big enough. Tore the entire thing down, busted up the concrete and started over. Ended up costing around 700,000$. Now they want to get rid of it and build a bigger nicer facility which is going to cost over 1 million dollars. Of course it passed because "it's for the children and the children deserve it". These people that profess to be republicans and conservatives vote for tax increases every time. Also have to consider that if they convince the elderly to vote (which most times they do) because the elderly have their taxes frozen, the increase doesn't effect them. Yet me at 25 years of age wanting to buy a house? Forget it, it's not worth it when you can make the payments and have to buy insurance and everything else then the tax collectors come around and want a 2,000 dollar check because they somehow deserve my money.

Ya, I still wouldn't compel my neighbors to pay for my kid's football stadium using force.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Football is huge in Texas. It is more than a passion- it is a life for many. Can't say about high school but I know that in Nebraska when the Cornhuskers are playing at home, the stadium becomes the third largest city in the state - that large of a percent of the population goes to the game. I imagine that Texas high school is similar.

This is outside Dallas so I assume it is a wealthy area since they are willing and able to raise that much money.

large stadiums are a norm in TX. I think its dumb, but what do I know. I mean there are multiple stadiums with 10-15K+ in the Houston area alone

Ask Rick Perry how TX can do it!

I lived in a district (in RP's congressional district) that had 60K students in K-12. They built a new high school every 2-3 years and they were palaces.
    http://www.educationdesignshowcase.c....esiml?pid=184

http://www.texasbob.com/stadium/tbt_stadium_fcts.html

Number of Stadiums Seating Capacity Ranges
    13 16,000 and greater
    68 10,001 to 16,000
    365 5,001 to 10,000
    519 1,001 to 5,000
    406 100 to 1,000

Total State Wide Seating Capacity: 4,099,211 Seats
    Average Seating Capacity: 3904 Seats
    Last edited by smithtg; 11-30-2011 at 03:11 PM.

Another democracy fail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

i thought we were broke?

my town just spent 165k for stadium lights and millions years ago on our football half stadium. and millions on the new school rooms that the kids arent even allowed to use. on top of that 500k for parks in the town, then 20 million for a courthouse years ago that the county now cant pay for. yet they spent 500k last summer for some kinda crap at the parks again. all the while 18 people on the road dept get laid off for good.

This is why I advise people in Texas to contest their property taxes. Homes have devalued yet the government is still using high appraisals to base their taxes off of.

I worked in a school district in Texas. It is the biggest waste of money I ever saw. They can get a better education at 1/4th the cost.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    This is why I advise people in Texas to contest their property taxes. Homes have devalued yet the government is still using high appraisals to base their taxes off of.

I worked in a school district in Texas. It is the biggest waste of money I ever saw. They can get a better education at 1/4th the cost.
    Yes! And thank you for being a teacher from another Texan.

I posted about the the same city/town, now buying a $40 million bus depot, when these same local governments float the bill down the road when they are long retired or moved on to greener political pastures.

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Allen's problem is it wants to be just like Plano.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post

My wife teaches at a private school. The cost to educate each student is lower and the education they receive is actually higher than the public school.

You are right that they keep using higher and higher appraisals, even when the houses would never sale for the amount they say they are worth.

Quote Originally Posted by libertyjam View Post
    Allen's problem is it wants to be just like Plano.
    Varsity Blues

Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Tyranny of the majority.
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    i thought we were broke?
    They are broke...now that they paid for a $60 million high school stadium.
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

It is a local issue for the residents. It appears they voted for it so they mustwant it.

Ron Paul let the cat out of the bag.

***Random Troll Analysis***Try Not to Engage With Trolls***
    itshappening: Incredibly naive with a hint of Alex Jonestown.
    compromise: Hilarious name states what it wants.
    AuH20: Self-righteous & insightful neocon. Smarter than you. Armed with a thesaurus.

***Honorable Mentions***
    Tpoints, Traditional Conservative, FreedomFanatic, TywinLannister, FreeHampshire, Giuliani was there on 911,
    RandRevolution

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    UPDATE: lol!
    http://watchdogwire.com/texas/2014/0...tball-stadium/

Allen, Texas

After 18 months, cracking closes $60 million suburban Dallas football stadium

Stadium opened August 2012

March 5, 2014
    by Lou Ann Anderson

The $60 million Allen High School football stadium whose extravagance brought a national spotlight to Allen, Texas, a suburb of Dallas, is now closed due to cracks and other structural concerns.
    The Dallas Morning News reports:
    Officials closed the stadium Thursday after extensive cracking and “other potential problems in the structure” were found along the concourse level. They declined to say what may be causing the cracks but said the issue was first discovered in August 2012, when the stadium opened, and has only gotten worse.
    Interim Superintendent Beth Nicholas said the stadium was closed out of an abundance of caution during an engineering investigation of the facility, which is expected to be completed in June. The district said it is likely the problems would affect the fall football season.
    Representatives from Pogue Construction, which built the facility, and the PBK architecture firm, which designed it, are in discussions with the district. Officials declined to say who would pay to correct problems, citing the ongoing investigation to determine what caused them.
    For now, it seems the district and the companies are working together to fix the problem. An email from Nicholas to the board on Feb. 7 obtained through an open records request by The Dallas Morning News said, “The demand letter from our attorney was sent to both companies and they were given 30 days to respond.”
    This week, Allen school trustees received an update from the engineering investigation, which is about 10 percent complete, that prompted the closure. Nicholas said the stadium was a significant investment for the community and said the structural issues are “unacceptable.”
    “Our No. 1 priority must always be the safety of our students, staff and our community,” she said, adding, “We’re not happy about this. We want to get to the bottom of this because our taxpayers deserve this.”
    Despite less than two years of use, cracks in the stadium are said to “range from a quarter-inch to three-quarters of an inch wide in sections of the concourse.”
    Weather and shifting soil were cited as potential reasons for concrete cracking although officials say a specific cause at the stadium has yet to be determined.

The stadium was part of 2009 package for $119 million in bonds (closer to $200 million when you add the interest). Though sold, in part, as an opportunity to attract high-profile, revenue-generating events, those events are now being cancelled while plans for other district events like graduation remain undetermined.
    If the stadium remains closed, the district will also be challenged to find alternative locations for next fall’s home football games. The district’s old football stadium remains intact, but used for nonvarsity football games and other sports.

Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

I'm still freaked out about them having those whatever they are signs out front with all lights and graphics. They like something you would find in a stadium.

We're probably paying for those too!

Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    Love the justification: Spend $40 Million in taxpayer money, to destroy $47 Million in property value, to save $140K per year. What's the return on that again?

This Texas Town Is Building A $40M Bus Barn*, To Go With Its $60 Million High School Football Stadium[LEFT][COLOR=#000000] http://www.businessinsider.com/bus-b...#ixzz1fDCI3Ead

The same board that approved a $60 million high school football stadium in Allen, Texas a few years back now intends to throw tax dollars at a $40 million industrial bus depot directly across from a local elementary school, according to a group of angry local residents fighting the school district's mega plans.
    I don't get it. Don't the voters of the district have to vote on the issue for it to pass?
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    I don't get it. Don't the voters of the district have to vote on the issue for it to pass?

Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    UPDATE: lol!The stadium was part of 2009 package for $119 million in bonds (closer to $200 million when you add the interest). Though sold, in part, as an opportunity to attract high-profile, revenue-generating events, those events are now being cancelled while plans for other district events like graduation remain undetermined.
    If the stadium remains closed, the district will also be challenged to find alternative locations for next fall’s home football games. The district’s old football stadium remains intact, but used for nonvarsity football games and other sports.
    That's incredible. $200,000,000 and they already had a football stadium!
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast