Thread: Need assistance with retirement plan.

Need assistance with retirement plan.

The wife and I both have a Mutual of America retirement plans through our place of employment and my understanding of the options they offer is limited. I would like to turn our retirement plans into a hedge against the dollar and need assistance in deciphering what is available.

Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated as the funds and other options available are completely Greek to me.
    “First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”
    -Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Look for a gold/silver fund and an international fund.
    What I say is for entertainment purposes only!

Mark 10:45 The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many.

"If you want to make a lot of money, resist diversification." - Jim Rogers

Currently 100% in the international fund. Don't see anything with gold/silver title or I would have looked at them. Part of the trouble is that the titles for each fund are garbldeegook and the definitions of each are frequently greek.
    “First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”

You could ask for a brokerage account that would let you pick individual stocks, but you probably don't really want to do that. Why don't you post a few of the funds here and maybe we can help decipher what they are?

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    You could ask for a brokerage account that would let you pick individual stocks, but you probably don't really want to do that. Why don't you post a few of the funds here and maybe we can help decipher what they are?
    Well that's actually a fantastic idea if it's possible. I daytraded for years and know stocks. Is this something that is normally done for retirement accounts?

Here's a list of funds. http://www.mutualofamerica.com/produ...invest_alt.asp

Those funds suck. Tell your parents they need to ask about a "brokerage window" through their 401k.

Also, put at least .0001% of their assets in each of those target-date retirement funds. Those things suck, and I have a feeling there will be widespread class-action lawsuits against the managing firms in the future. Put in a $1, you might get $50 back after a class action suit! 5000% return!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    Those funds suck. Tell your parents they need to ask about a "brokerage window" through their 401k.

Also, put at least .0001% of their assets in each of those target-date retirement funds. Those things suck, and I have a feeling there will be widespread class-action lawsuits against the managing firms in the future. Put in a $1, you might get $50 back after a class action suit! 5000% return!!!!!!!!!!!
    How could these companies afford to pay $50 for every $1 they manage?
    What I say is for entertainment purposes only!

Mark 10:45 The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many.

"If you want to make a lot of money, resist diversification." - Jim Rogers