Thread: CA bill would hike drivers' cell phone use fines

CA bill would hike drivers' cell phone use fines

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) -- Nearly three years after California made it illegal to use a hand-held cell phone while driving, the state Senate on Monday approved a bill that would increase fines for texting or using a hand-held cell phone while driving.

The base fine would increase from $20 to $50 per violation under the bill, which now goes to the Assembly. With various fees, a first offense would cost $328, up from the current $208.

A repeat offender could be fined $100, or $528 with fees. A subsequent violation would also add one point to the motorist's driving record.

"The goal here is simply to save more lives(and a little money from mundanes doesn't hurt either)," said Sen. Joe Simitian, D-Palo Alto.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/CA-bil...88598.html?x=0

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I understand that they are using traffic light cameras for that which seems unfair since if someone is stopped at a light they are arguably not 'driving'.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    I understand that they are using traffic light cameras for that which seems unfair since if someone is stopped at a light they are arguably not 'driving'.
    Seriously, what a bunch of bull$#@!.

Seems like the worst thing that could happen is you miss the light turning green and somebody honks at you.. but you're not going to $#@!ing hurt anybody sitting still.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Mo' money, mo' money, mo' money!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jukQX2pl2Q

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.