Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iPhone Will Track You Even After Location Services Are Disabled

iPhone Will Track You Even After Location Services Are Disabled

One of the posters here was talking about how he keeps location services turned off to stop tracking. Well here you go.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_853147.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agorism View Post
    One of the posters here was talking about how he keeps location services turned off to stop tracking. Well here you go.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_853147.html
    no, 'silent phone' is what "airplaine mode" is for. A good developer could add two more modes for you, "black hole" and "no log"
    http://glenbradley.net/share/aleksan...nitsyn_4-t.gif “And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.” ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    no, 'silent phone' is what "airplaine mode" is for. A good developer could add two more modes for you, "black hole" and "no log"
    It's built into the hardware. http://www.nbc15.com/news/headlines/2404301.html
    A king metal slime draws near!

*sniffle* Bye bye Privacy. I'll really miss you old friend. I kind of wish more people showed up for your funeral... *sniffle*
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Well dang. I thought if I turned location services off in settings, they were OFF.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

If you cant see and understand the source code, you dont really have any idea what any app does.

That also includes home computers. I run a firewall and I have it set to tell me every time a new program tries to phone home. However, if it is something like Firefox, once I set up the rules, then the firewall is quiet and doesnt get annoying. Starting with the first Windows included firewall, their firewalls block incoming traffic, but by default, dont do $#@! about the outgoing data. So, its not ok for incoming data requests, but when they are sent out, apparently people are not supposed to have any sort of concern about what kinds of data are being sent back to god knows who.

Most people have absolutely NO idea how much their standard home computers phone home on them. For example: doing a File Search on your computer phones home to Microsoft. No joke. No clue what it is used for, but why does Windows need to phone home every single time I search for a file on my computer? Could this not be handled with standard Windows Updates, if this were in fact, an update? I havent pulled my packet sniffer out on that to see what data they are trying to transmit (too lazy) but odds are that it isnt something that you want in public.

Next step of the Invasion of Privacy: Cloud Computing.
    1776 > 1984

Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

Easy, Do what I do with my Cell (not iphone) leave it in a cabinet at home.

It doesn't know where I am from there.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Easy, Do what I do with my Cell (not iphone) leave it in a cabinet at home.

It doesn't know where I am from there.
    It knows where you live!
    "One of the great victories of the state, is that the word "Anarchy" terrifies people but, the word "State" does not" - Tom Woods

Quote Originally Posted by ClayTrainor View Post
    It knows where you live!
    $#@!,, That is public knowledge. Widely documented and filed in several Law Enforcement files.

Perhaps because I have been subject to electronic monitoring (ankle bracelet) before makes me little sensitive to the subject.
    I just don't need to transmit my every move.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Doesnt need to be an iPhone

1776 > 1984

There is only one way to make sure that electronic dog collar is not ratting you out.

Fire, and lots of it.

Which poster was telling about how they left location services off?

Quote Originally Posted by EndDaFed View Post
    Right, but AFAIK "airplane mode" throws a hardware switch rendering the phone EM null. Add a "no-log" function and it can "listen" all it wants to.
    http://glenbradley.net/share/aleksan...nitsyn_4-t.gif “And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.” ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

I love my iPhone too much to care.

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Detroit View Post
    I love my iPhone too much to care.
    And there you have it.

"I love the convenience of my implanted microchip too much to care".

*sigh*

What's sad is you are, what, 16-17 years old IIRC?

You don't know a world without the electronic spy grid covering you every second of every minute of every day.

I'm here to tell you, it existed, not very long ago and you know what?

I'd chuck every "convenience" these electronic dog collars deliver to have that world back again.

You would too, if you only knew what you were missing.

(And yes, I am aware of the irony of using technology to decry it.)
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 04-27-2011 at 06:53 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Oh, and so will OnStar, as well as monitor vehicle cabin conversations, even if the service is off or not paid for.

Not to mention shut your car down or lock you in remotely.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    And there you have it.

*sigh*

You don't know a world without the electronic spy grid covering you every second of every minute of every day.

I'd chuck every "convenience" these electronic dog collars deliver to have that world back again.

x2 ... liberty declines with passing generations and the result is ugly, e.g. tracking everywhere. Not too long ago, one could walk down a street without having a camera tracking their every move. I yearn for the ability to travel in privacy without ID's, registration, cameras, etc .....
    Truth Drives Me

Thumbs down Jobs Denies Tracking

Did you guys see this?

4/25/11:
    "Steve Jobs: Apple doesn't track anyone" - Yahoo! News:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/digitaltrend...V2ZWpvYnNhcHA-

(Copy/paste from iphone would not work in the forum URL window.)

Lol, nobody in the Comments section believed Jobs (me neither). *It reminds me of a few years ago when Charlie Rose (PBS) asked Eric Schmidt point blank: *"Do you (Google) read our Gmails?" *Of course Mr. CFR himself replied to the effect, "Well we could but we don't."

Re Location, recently I was reading gripes & suspicions in App Reviews re photo apps & Location access, so I asked a dev what was the real deal about all that? *This was his explanation:

Regarding Location Services, here is the deal. Before iOS4 there was only one way for developers like me to access iPhone photo library. There is this image picker control provided by Apple that you normally see when you upload a photo from the photo library. It has some major limitations:

1) it cannot be customized,
    2) you can only pick one photo at a time and after each photo there is a 4-6 seconds delay before the selected photo is saved elsewhere for further processing/uploading
    3) no way to set a checkmark for the photos that already have been selected
    4) all the EXIF and location tags are stripped from the photos selected with this image picker.

With iOS4 Apple added some new classes to their iOS SDK that allow direct access to albums and media files on the iPhone's file system, including all the EXIF and location data. This allows me to build a custom image picker that overcomes the limitations mentioned above. But since the photos contain location data, Apple requires that users enable location services for an app to get access to the photo library, even though the app will not necessarily be tracking location. That's the case with (app name) - it needs Location Services mostly to access the photo library. The only time it tracks your location is when you upload a photo from iPhone's camera. Then (app name) gets your current location to geo-tag the photo.

I think Apple should have a different control mechanism to enable access to photo library, as this does look shady to an average user. Maybe iOS5 will have it.
    So what do you think?
    Politics 'N Proverbs
    "When the RIGHTEOUS are in authority, the people REJOICE, but when the WICKED beareth rule, the people MOURN." -Proverbs 29:2

And there you have it.

*sigh*

I see your viewpoint, and I respect the fact that you wouldn't want an iPhone because of it. That's the beauty of the free market; If you feel the negatives outweigh the positives, you don't have to buy an iPhone. Now if the government made it mandatory to own one, I'd throw a fit. But I spent the $200 fully knowing of the consequences of owning the item, and felt it was worth it. It'll come in great handy next year in college.

If Apple wants to see that I've been to a coffee shop or two in Ann Arbor, I don't care. That would bother you, and that's your right to be bothered.

Apple is a private company, they can do whatever they want with their products. Don't like it, don't buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Detroit View Post
    I see your viewpoint, and I respect the fact that you wouldn't want an iPhone because of it. That's the beauty of the free market; If you feel the negatives outweigh the positives, you don't have to buy an iPhone. Now if the government made it mandatory to own one, I'd throw a fit. But I spent the $200 fully knowing of the consequences of owning the item, and felt it was worth it. It'll come in great handy next year in college.

If Apple wants to see that I've been to a coffee shop or two in Ann Arbor, I don't care. That would bother you, and that's your right to be bothered.

Apple is a private company, they can do whatever they want with their products. Don't like it, don't buy it.
    Government has already made it mandatory for me.

They will do it to you as well.

And in my case, part of that surveillance grid, is a private company that supposedly can do whatever it wants.

Why make it mandatory when they can just slip it into everything like new cars. No one will notice it that way.

People will notice. As soon as you speed in a brand new car now, your warranty is voided.
    1776 > 1984

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    People will notice. As soon as you speed in a brand new car now, your warranty is voided.
    Yup, saw that about three years ago, picking up parts at the local, now defunct, Dodge dealer.

Guy was going bat$#@! at the service counter because they were not going to honor the warranty on his two year old Dodge Hemi P/U because the everfucking onboard computer showed he had spun the tires for more than 15 seconds four months prior to that.

Only a stopgap I know, but 1976 Ford F-150 FTW

Yup, saw that about three years ago, picking up parts at the local, now defunct, Dodge dealer.

Guy was going bat$#@! at the service counter because they were not going to honor the warranty on his two year old Dodge Hemi P/U because the everfucking onboard computer showed he had spun the tires for more than 15 seconds four months prior to that.

Like if he got stuck in the snow?
    1776 > 1984

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Like if he got stuck in the snow?
    Yup.

Of course they, the dealer, was claiming, "oh no, you were "drifting" with this vehicle, the uneven rate of spin at the rear wheels confirms it".

The guy looked like he was 55-60 years old. I doubt he was "drifting".

$#@! a bunch of computer cars. Hard.

Now it all makes sense. Cash for clunkers, then destroy the older vehicles. Force people to do two things. Promote Big Business by having to buy a brand new computer controlled car. And to remove the option that they will try to go back to once they find out how much control over their lives they lose to the new car.
    1776 > 1984

Yes, that ^^^

South park made fun of this in yesterday's season premiere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast