Thread: Learning how to invest

Learning how to invest

Where/what are some places to learn how to invest? I really have no knowledge in investing. I don't know when or if I will invest anytime soon, but I would like to learn how to do it on my own one day.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Try Yahoo Finance or Seeking Alpha

If you want some free investment advice go to Youtube and search for Marc Faber, Jim Rogers types. Listening to them is probably more valuable than hiring any broker.

Start by reading "The Wealthy Barber" and "The Richest Man in Babylon".

Oh and also "The Millionaire Next Door".
    Last edited by jclay2; 04-22-2011 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jclay2 View Post
    Oh and also "The Millionaire Next Door".
    Read bits and pieces of that a long time ago. If you understand the basics of personal finance, don't bother. I will say, however, that it is a book to put you in the "mood" for wealth creation, so if you want a push, go pick up that book.

Security Analysis, the updated Intelligent Investor, and The Intelligent Asset Allocator. Those three books are the bee's knees, but unless you really enjoy finance they'll put you to sleep. Just a warning.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamShrugged View Post
    Where/what are some places to learn how to invest? I really have no knowledge in investing. I don't know when or if I will invest anytime soon, but I would like to learn how to do it on my own one day.
    Just start getting books from the library and reading them. Look for books that explain the nuts and bolts of it... fundamental analysis, financial reporting, corporate accounting, technical analysis, etc. I've found some financial textbooks from Savers(a thrift store) for $5 a piece that could give someone a great knowledge base for investing. There are a lot of books that are basically on "stock picking" or are supposedly "read just this book and you will learn to invest from just this" type of books. Avoid those types of books, in most cases they are way too generalized to be of much help and will give you false confidence. Also Jack Schwager's Market Wizards series are very interesting and inspiring books.
    It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.
    -Samuel Adams

diehards.org is a great forum for buy and hold investors.