Thread: Debate dress code?

Debate dress code?

I'm assuming business pants and shirt are sufficient, or do I need to buy a tie and a leisure suit?
    Been a long time....

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'd either go with either dress pants and a shirt with dress shoes (POLISHED), or some nice blue jeans, dress shoes (again, POLISHED), shirt (tucked in) and navy blazer (single breasted, two buttons...we're not in the 80's) or a sport coat would be fine.

A suit would be perfect though, but it's not for everyone

Any man who doesn't own at least one pair of good shoes (preferably leather soled), a suit and a sport coat/blazer needs to go buy them NOW
    Last edited by eduardo89; 04-21-2011 at 06:34 PM.

I got some nice brown sneakers and no sport coat.... hmmm.
    Been a long time....

g'd up from the knee up

slingshot, khakis, and a pair of wallabees

Quote Originally Posted by Razmear View Post
    I got some nice brown sneakers and no sport coat.... hmmm.
    someone's got some shopping to do...

People still have leisure suits?
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

I'd say something like these pictures would be good for going to the debates:

Dress pants and a shirt:

Jeans and a blazer (but shirt tucked in):

Suit (bow tie, or any tie, optional):

Shoes:
    or

That's just my opinion, I live in Europe and I'm quite formal myself, so I don't know what is "normal" fashionwise in the States anymore

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    People still have leisure suits?
    Do not wear this to a debate:

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    That's just my opinion, I live in Europe and I'm quite formal myself, so I don't know what is "normal" fashionwise in the States anymore
    I will refrain from posting "People of WalMart" photos
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

I will refrain from posting "People of WalMart" photos
    I have given up hope on America. Goodbye everyone.

Last edited by eduardo89; 04-21-2011 at 07:16 PM.

I have given up hope on America.
    Took ya long enough.
    The Golden rule: Those that own the gold make the rules.

If We the People fail to independently audit Fort Knox, then how will we know the amount of Tungsten backing the FRN?

Im going with slacks, a dress shirt and tie.

I don't want to give ANYONE ANY REASON to claim that Paul supporters look and/or act unprofessional. They may still claim it anyway but at least Ill know they are lying. And don't wear anything that says who you support on it. Don't give them a reason to try to keep you out! The GOP has done it before!
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

I'm a woman, what should I wear? Haha....I"m thinking like slacks/nice top with heels or something? I might be able to go.

I'd either go with either dress pants and a shirt with dress shoes (POLISHED), or some nice blue jeans, dress shoes (again, POLISHED), shirt (tucked in) and navy blazer (single breasted, two buttons...we're not in the 80's) or a sport coat would be fine.

Any man who doesn't own at least one pair of good shoes (preferably leather soled), a suit and a sport coat/blazer needs to go buy them NOW
    To be honest, I actually make a statement with my shoes. I wear Doc Martins every day with my full-on suit and tie.
    http://glenbradley.net/share/aleksan...nitsyn_4-t.gif “And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.” ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by Mallory View Post
    I'm a woman, what should I wear? Haha....I"m thinking like slacks/nice top with heels or something? I might be able to go.
    Get comfortable in your shoes, and slacks are a good choice compared to a skirt. You'll be doing a lot of walking, and hopefully a lot of standing and cheering for Dr. Paul Don't want a skirt that you have to smooth down over and over or, worse yet, that puts your thighs in contact with some nasty seat in an auditorium.

You'll see a lot of people in ugly Hillary Clinton style suits. Don't go there. It's not a good look... for anyone.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    One of my rules in life: When in doubt, suit up.
    Interested in politics? Check out Red Racing Horses for daily updates on electoral politics, redistricting, and the presidential campaigns.

Are you folks attending the debate?
    Last edited by anaconda; 04-24-2011 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    So, you guys are in the debate I guess?
    No idea why you say that. The debate crowd is usually pretty conservatively dressed, in high-end business function attire.

I'd recommend dress shirt and pants. A tie is prolly overkill IMO.

Edit: ok I see the ties in melissas pic now
    Last edited by IDefendThePlatform; 04-24-2011 at 04:12 PM.

as a hippie this whole thread is scary I would look into buying some clothes from calvin klein. they have very good business casual that can be used to go out in and is not as stuffy as the box suit!!
    2016 gop est business as usual, rules do not apply.

No idea why you say that. The debate crowd is usually pretty conservatively dressed, in high-end business function attire.

I was kidding. If you look above you will see that I changed my immature smart ass comment. You must have responded very very quickly. I think it is great that everyone wants to look sharp and professional.

No prob. I figured you were either being snarky or ... I dunno ... that maybe I had misunderstood you.

I am a little troubled by the purple zombie hue of the top photo, but I guess it gets the point across.

Dress nicely, but look less dead.