Thread: Skynet Becomes Self-Aware: How to Welcome Our AI Overlords

Exclamation Skynet Becomes Self-Aware: How to Welcome Our AI Overlords

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2011/...es-self-aware/

The time has come. According to the Terminator clock, at 8:11 p.m. Tuesday, Skynet will become self-aware. And humanity will be screwed.

Going by canon set out in the Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles TV series, Judgment Day should hit Thursday. In these final few precious hours, there are several things members of the human race can do to prepare for total domination by our new artificially intelligent masters. Here’s a quick guide.

1. Attempt to Celebrate Doom Through Facebook

This may not necessarily save anyone, but for the brave few who choose to welcome our robot conquerers with open arms in hopes of making friends, there’s a Facebook event dedicated to celebrating the day Skynet Becomes Self-Aware. It’s already got nearly 7,000 people signed up to “CRUSHALLHUMANS/SAVE THE WORLD.”

That might not be easily done, though.

“I’ve been spontaneously deciding how to at least mark the zero hour,” said Scott McDaniel, the 39-year-old information architect from Atlanta who organized the Facebook event, in an e-mail to Wired.com. “I’m celebrating in meatspace by showing my fiancee’s parents The Terminator for the first time — as older, conservative Greeks it should be entertaining.”

Warning: Don’t “poke” newly sentient robots. They hate that $#@!.

2. Don’t Panic

If you’ve been reading your Wired magazine (and really, who hasn’t?), you know that the AI revolution is already upon us and might not be so bad after all. There’s a very good chance that all those Skynet minions will just keep going about their business. No nuclear warfare necessary.

Still, it’s possible that all those animatronic doo-dads in Disneyland’s “it’s a small world” ride might get some bright ideas and start an uprising, so remain prepared. However, it’s not required that you run screaming from your Roomba.

3. Terminate Yourself

No, this is not a call for a suicide pact — humankind should not go down without a fight. But until we’re actually threatened with violence, just play it cool. Back when Terminator Salvation was released, the fine folks at Warner Bros. uploaded Terminate Yourself, a tool that can take any old headshot and make it look like a Terminator. Do this. Then put that picture on every online profile — Facebook, Twitter, Match.com — you’ve got out there. Act natural.

4. Buy a Bunker

If things go according to the Terminator films and TV series, once Skynet becomes self-aware, the U.S. military will attempt to shut it down and the network will, in turn, freak out and launch a nuclear attack.

There’s little that can be done in such a scenario. It’s probably best to look into nuclear-safe bunkers. Find one and crawl in with an iPod or iPad loaded with reruns of Battlestar Galactica. Maybe visions of a different war against AI will serve as a welcome distraction from the actual carnage aboveground.

[via SF Weekly]

Good links throughout article - click through!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Time to pull the plug... ahhh, damn there's too many plugs to pull, too many backup systems, too many alternate paths/sites/locations...now.

I know a few people that are "Off The Grid" and prepped, for good reasons.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post
    At least with GLaDOS, you have a fighting chance, and the possibility of a conscience, provided she can run tests all day long.

Really doubt SkyNET could take HER out =p

I'd prefer to be ruled by HAL 9000 though.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

yall need to watch eagle eye, its about a patriotic self-aware computer that goes rogue defending the constitution

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by shemdogg View Post
    yall need to watch eagle eye, its about a patriotic self-aware computer that goes rogue defending the constitution
    Good movie.

More info? Never heard of it.... linky?

Movie or TV show?
    Edit: OK movie.

Eagle Eye is a 2008 thriller film directed by D. J. Caruso ...
    Last edited by Indy Vidual; 04-21-2011 at 04:55 PM.
    No one here wanted to be the Billionaire.

Tpb! - ftw!

More info? Never heard of it.... linky?
    http://www.megavideo.com/?d=BGBICIRB

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    cool! - thanks if it's the whole vid....

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    cool! - thanks if it's the whole vid....
    Should be

Edit: it is, but megavideo only lets you watch 72 minutes....the way around it is open it in another browser on private browsing mode.

ie: start watching in firefox, and finish watching it in chrome in an incognito window, that way you don't have to wait the 1 hour till you can watch for free again
    Last edited by eduardo89; 04-21-2011 at 05:05 PM.

hmmm...I guess we'll have to start fitting our pickups with laser canons and such.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

OK - seen it before... interesting movie. not sure it's as represented.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    hmmm...I guess we'll have to start fitting our pickups with laser canons and such.
    The enrichment center reminds you that you will be baked, and then there will be cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox McCloud View Post
    The enrichment center reminds you that you will be baked, and then there will be cake.
    soylent green is my favorite flavor.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler