Thread: REPORT: Average coal plants produce 100X more annual radiation than nuke plants

REPORT: Average coal plants produce 100X more annual radiation than nuke plants

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    LOL I think Fukushima is bumpting the average a bit.

If you want to propagandize in favor of nuclear power, trying to claim this sort of radiation is more harmful than iodine or cesium isn't exactly the way to go. You could argue that the fly ash is as harmful and more plentifuly than nuclear spent fuel, perhaps. Or you could complain about the exhaust. But people here are a bit sophisticated for the 'sunlight is more radioactive than radioactive iodine' crap. Radioactive iodine doesn't contain Vitamin D.

And I consider cnbc and msnbc links the most radioactive of all. I hope no one else here favors General Electric with hits. Hint: They make nuke plants, and aren't even pretending to be unbiased.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 04-12-2011 at 05:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

It's funny, I was talking to some guys I know who work at a nuclear plant. Whenever their utility company holds a meeting, they always do it at a coal plant. That way all the nuclear works can go their for the meeting and when they get back to the nuclear plant, they set off the sensors and have to go home for the day hah.

Quote Originally Posted by TheState View Post
    It's funny, I was talking to some guys I know who work at a nuclear plant. Whenever their utility company holds a meeting, they always do it at a coal plant. That way all the nuclear works can go their for the meeting and when they get back to the nuclear plant, they set off the sensors and have to go home for the day hah.
    Interesting.

A coal accident does not make an entire region uninhabitable for tens of thousands of years. The IAEA estimates that the Chernobyl accident alone released ten times as much radiation as all coal burning worldwide will have released between 1937 to 2040.

They are comparing coal emissions to a shielded reactor as if nuclear waste does not get into the environment all the time. They are not taking into account incident based radiation releases which every plant has, emissions from waste and releases from uranium mining. The artificial isotopes created by nuclear power plants are not comparable to the isotopes from coal.

This is just more industry propaganda from a company whose parent produces reactors.

I think KY might have a future in Nuclear Power
    http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?singlepost=2491667

I do think it can be inherently more safe if we give up on the ambition for weapons grade material.
    “We have it in our power to begin the world over again.” - Thomas Paine

I'd prefer that we invest in Thorium reactors instead.