Thread: Do I need to pay income taxes during the government shut down?

Do I need to pay income taxes during the government shut down?

Because if I do then I contend the government didn't really shut down.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Chester Copperpot

IRS will be closed.

Im not telling you what to do.. But other than giving people electronic refunds aint nobody going to be there.

Chester Copperpot

If youre asking about an ideological question. hmm well thats a pretty good question..

Should people pay for a govt when there is no govt?

Taxes are withheld from my paycheck. Will the government send me a full refund for taxes I paid on income while they were shut down? Is all money earned during the shutdown considered non-taxable?

Should people pay for a govt when there is no govt?
    Yep. It sure is an interesting question with a very obvious answer.
    Last edited by brandon; 04-08-2011 at 07:37 AM.

Yes... You will still need to file by the deadline. They just wont process the paper returns. (government priorities FTL )

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mitrosky View Post
    IRS will be closed.
    Get real. The returns processing centers might be closed.
    The armed goons will still be making visits. The kangaroo courts will keep running.
    And the government will not be shut down forever.
    Two weeks, tops.
    60 billion? They can find that in the couch cushions.
    The Demoncrats will capitulate, they'll find 50 billion or so in pocket change, and then it'll be open for business.
    Neither side will let the government stay shut down for more than two weeks. More than that and they risk serious questions getting raised - like "hey, if most of us are still getting food and gainful employment, what do we need you for?"
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Get real. The returns processing centers might be closed.
    The armed goons will still be making visits. The kangaroo courts will keep running.
    And the government will not be shut down forever.
    Two weeks, tops.
    60 billion? They can find that in the couch cushions.
    The Demoncrats will capitulate, they'll find 50 billion or so in pocket change, and then it'll be open for business.
    Neither side will let the government stay shut down for more than two weeks. More than that and they risk serious questions getting raised - like "hey, if most of us are still getting food and gainful employment, what do we need you for?"
    US Govt shutdown suspends IRS audits
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...-parks-2-.html

Spot on.
    Terminus tela viaticus!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Do you want our answer or the answer of the guys with the power to put a judicial lien on all your assets and the power to send you to jail?
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

last time the government shut down, the IRS processing centers for returns shut down, but they were still processing IRS payments and electronic debits... however, the end filing date for tax season doesn't change so if you send in your return late they'll probably hit you with a penalty anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mitrosky View Post
    US Govt shutdown suspends IRS audits
    Right - it suspends audits.
    Something I didn't say anything about.
    The enforcers will keep arresting.
    The courts will keep prosecuting.
    And if you think those two tentacles don't have access to whether or not you've filed a return this year, even in the advent of a shutdown, you're fooling yourself.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

I think I may have misworded my original post. I'm not asking if I still have to file my 2010 returns by April 15th in the event of a government shutdown. I am asking if money earned while the government is shutdown is taxable or not.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7373QR20110408

Taxes collected, coins produced if government shuts down

But with the April 18 deadline looming to file taxes, a good chunk of the Treasury Department will stay open to collect the receipts, the agency said on its website on Friday.

The Treasury will continue to sell debt needed to operate the government and a handful of Treasury-related bureaus that are not funded by government appropriations will operate as normal.

Those include bank regulator the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, as well as the U.S. Mint and the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, which together produce coins and currency for the country.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    I am asking if money earned while the government is shutdown is taxable or not.
    Why wouldn't it be? At tax time, you will have to report all your income for 2011.

Are you asking if they will still withhold?

Quote Originally Posted by MRoCkEd View Post
    Why wouldn't it be?
    Why would it be? What am I paying for? If the cable company messes up and you lose cable to your house for a month, do you still have to pay for it?

I know they still will withhold. I suppose my question is a bit rhetorical. If taxes are payment for services rendered by the government, it seems a bit odd that we would need to continue paying even after they shut down the services.
    Last edited by brandon; 04-08-2011 at 09:29 AM.

Yes, because the government owns your income and they're nice enough to let you keep a part of it. Remember, it's not your money, it's the government's!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.