Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sen. Paul Proposes Government Shutdown Prevention Act of 2011

Sen. Paul Proposes Government Shutdown Prevention Act of 2011

http://www.randpaul2010.com/2011/04/...n-act-of-2011/

“There doesn’t need to be a shutdown in order for us to address the spending problem”

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today Sen. Rand Paul proposed the Government Shutdown Prevention Act of 2011 to address the issues that may occur during a federal government shutdown. The proposal ensures that essential government services continue to function in absence of the passage of a spending bill, and incentivizes Congress to act. The bill is intended as a permanent rule to follow for the current and all future cases where Congress does not enact a budget or continuing resolution.

“Absence of a continuing resolution does not shutdown government. And this legislation will show that there doesn’t need to be a shutdown in order for us to address the spending problem here in Washington,” Sen. Paul said. “We can fund government at lower levels while deciding the final product.”

“My proposal seeks to alleviate the worries of people who rely on important services, and fill the gap created by non-passage of spending bills, while forcing Congress to deal with the unsustainable spending,” he continued. “In my bill, we keep obligations made to our military personnel, seniors, children, and federal workers maintain an adequate level of pay, but Members of Congress and the President do not get paid unless they actually work out a resolution.”

“My proposal seeks to alleviate the worries of people who rely on important services, and fill the gap created by non-passage of spending bills, while forcing Congress to deal with the unsustainable spending,” he continued. “In my bill, we ...keep obligations made to our military personnel, seniors, children, and federal workers maintain an adequate level of pay, but Members of Congress and the President do not get paid unless they actually work out a resolution.”

A few provisions of the Government Shutdown Prevention Act of 2011

In the event of the expiration of any year’s appropriations and in the absence of a continuing resolution to the contrary, the following contingency plan would be invoked:

* The Treasury is directed to fully pay the debt of the United States and all of its prior obligations in full.

* The Social Security Administration is directed to send out all checks for current retirees, and accept all new applications for benefits.

* Medicare and Medicaid are directed to fund all current obligations and accept new enrollees under current provisions of law.

* Emergency war funding is continued at current levels. The Department of Defense is instructed to operate at 90 percent of previous year’s expenditures, and is authorized to send out paychecks to all military personnel at the full level of pay. Civilian employees based in the United States will be paid at the same 75 percent rate of other federal employees.

* Agencies of the federal government are directed to report for business as normal. Since Congress has never failed to give back pay to federal workers, there is no reason for a furlough. Federal workers shall be paid when an agreement is reached, for the time worked under these provisions, at 75 percent of their salaries.

* Congress and the White House may only operate at 50 percent of its previously appropriated levels for the time worked under these provisions.

* Congressmen, Senators, and the President do not receive a salary during the emergency, and are not eligible for back pay when the emergency is vacated.

* All other non-personnel accounts for all other agencies that would be covered under a yearly appropriations bill are directed to operate at two-thirds of previously approved funding levels. Their budgets must be reduced by the amount saved during the emergency.

* The Executive Branch is directed to provide no funding for any program created by Obamacare.

* The Executive Branch is directed to expend no federal funds to provide abortion services, or to agencies who provide abortion services.

* This bill will be in effect until a continuing resolution or full appropriations bill are passed and signed into law.
    Last edited by PermanentSleep; 04-07-2011 at 12:54 PM.
    “The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended.” -Frédéric Bastiat

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    this is brilliant. i find Rand Paul's intelligence and energy intimidating.
    Last edited by low preference guy; 04-07-2011 at 01:01 PM.

“My proposal seeks to alleviate the worries of people who rely on important services, and fill the gap created by non-passage of spending bills, while forcing Congress to deal with the unsustainable spending. “In my bill, we keep obligations made to our military personnel, seniors, children, and federal workers maintain an adequate level of pay, but Members of Congress and the President do not get paid unless they actually work out a resolution.”--Sen. Paul

Oh, yeah, they're going to love him for this. But, we want them to be scared of a government shutdown! It's one of our favorite boogeymen!
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

D'oh! PermanentSleep beat me in posting this by a few minutes.

I can't wait to see how the Dems & RINOs try to evade this.

Don't want to step on any toes. Can I or should I delete the thread I started? If so, how do I do that?
    (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...Prevention-Act)
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    D'oh! PermanentSleep beat me in posting this by a few minutes.

I can't wait to see how the Dems & RINOs try to evade this.

Don't want to step on any toes. Can I or should I delete the thread I started? If so, how do I do that?
    (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...Prevention-Act)
    Put a link to this thread in yours. Then flag your post using the ! button at the bottom of any post and ask the mods to close the thread.

* Congressmen, Senators, and the President do not receive a salary during the emergency, and are not eligible for back pay when the emergency is vacated.
    Good stuff. It'll be fun to see who has the you know what to cosponsor this.

Only possible resistance I can think of is the 75% of pay thing.

Quote Originally Posted by low preference guy View Post
    Put a link to this thread in yours. Then flag your post using the ! button at the bottom of any post and ask the mods to close the thread.
    Done. Thanks.

the man is a shark.

+rep rand!
    Those Who Do Not Move, Do Not Notice Their Chains.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Good start. But to this:

* The Executive Branch is directed to provide no funding for any program created by Obamacare.

* The Executive Branch is directed to expend no federal funds to provide abortion services, or to agencies who provide abortion services.

* This bill will be in effect until a continuing resolution or full appropriations bill are passed and signed into law.

Rand needs to add this....

* The Executive Branch is directed to expend no federal funds on any new "kinetic military actions"
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

^^^^good point

drudgebomb!!!

SENT!!!

LOL!

Good for him.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

I wouldn't be surprised to see some demagoguery over this one.
    It's a ready-made excuse for big-government pro-choicers to denounce & reject the whole thing out of hand.

Maybe Rand expects this to go down in flames regardless and is taking the opportunity to score some +reps from mainstream GOP pro-lifers. If so ... smart move.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

DRUDGED!!!!!

Rand is genius agaaaaiiinnn!

Send this to people at The Daily Caller and The Blaze too.
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's a ready-made excuse for big-government pro-choicers to denounce & reject the whole thing out of hand.

Maybe Rand expects this to go down in flames regardless and is taking the opportunity to score some +reps from mainstream GOP pro-lifers. If so ... smart move.
    Maybe he doesn't really want to stop the shutdown, I know I don't. Hell every day it is "shutdown" we get closer to balancing the budget.

oh this is NIIICCEEEE. lol. =) no one really gets punished except congress and the white house, right so!

Yeah, Rand knows that his proposal won't actually go anywhere. He just wants to be on record as trying to fix the problem.

This guy works harder than any other person in Congress.

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    Yeah, Rand knows that his proposal won't actually go anywhere. He just wants to be on record as trying to fix the problem.
    Rand is positioning the Republicans to win the PR battle. Wanting to keep public money flowing to abortions is not a valid reason to shut down the government for most people.

I thought Rand was against war funding like his father.

Quote Originally Posted by qh4dotcom View Post
    I thought Rand was against war funding like his father.
    Nobody would cosponsor the bill if he cut off all war funding.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Rand is positioning the Republicans to win the PR battle. Wanting to keep public money flowing to abortions is not a valid reason to shut down the government for most people.
    This. WE aren't shutting down the government.... THEY did. And with the abortion and Obamacare stuff, a lot of GOP might go for it just for that.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Rand is going to get a real debate going on in the Senate ... +rep Rand!
    "Everyone who believes in freedom must work diligently for sound money, fully redeemable. Nothing else is compatible with the humanitarian goals of peace and prosperity." -- Ron Paul

Brother Jonathan

You're right it's a political winner:

Six in 10 Americans favor a ban on the use of federal funds for abortion, according to a new poll.

The poll also indicates that the public might also favor legislation that would prevent many women from getting their health insurance plan to cover the cost of an abortion, even if no federal funds are involved.

A CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey released Wednesday morning indicates that 61 percent of the public opposes using public money for abortions for women who can not afford the procedure, with 37 percent in favor of allowing the use of federal funds.

And by a 51 percent to 45 percent margin, those questioned in the survey think that women who get abortions should pay the full costs out of their own pocket, even if they have private health insurance and no federal funds are involved. The 6-point difference is within the poll's sampling error.
    And that's with National Adults which is an automatic 7-10 point Democratic bias. Really bad news for NARAL and the Democrats. And I think the MSM and Democrats can't help themselves by falling into the trap of saying the Republcans are on a culture war thinking it will be a political winner for them.

They'll keep talking about how it affects abortions and the more they talk about it the more people will see that's what Democrats and the MSM are interested in protecting taxpayer money for abortions rather than the people's pocketbooks.
    "The president does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack...that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." "Attack Libya UPDATE 8/13: and Syria"

"We can track down terrorists without trampling on our civil liberties.... the federal government will only issue warrants and execute searches because it needs to, not because it can." "Need to murder UPDATE 8/13: and track citizens" ~ Barack H. Obama

presidential timber...yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Travlyr View Post
    Rand is going to get a real debate going on in the Senate ... +rep Rand!
    when will this debate be? and will it be aired somewhere? i'd like to see this boxing match

Sounds like nonsense to me. I'd much rather have a government shutdown than the continuation of all the things I despise. And does Rand really need to use the divisive colloquialism "Obamacare" in legislation?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast