Thread: Unemployment rate

Unemployment rate

gvmt is toting 216 Thousand jobs created and unemployment down to 8.8%

SLIGHT PROBLEM! - We need 350 Thousand jobs just to absorb the new college graduates each year and real unemployment is more like 20% - not like the fudged gvmt figures based on redefining who is unemployed...

-t

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    IF a college student is working when he is at school and still in that job (or moves to a new one) they are not unemployed. I worked my way through school and most other students do as well. The unemployment figures also do not count people who are not actively seeking a job. When the people who have given up looking for work finally decide to re-enter the labor market the rate will rise again- unless new jobs get created fast enough to absorb them. The trend is good-but we have a very long ways to go.

ppl only have so much time to accept unemployment bennies - they run out. after they do - you are no longer "unemployed" - even if you do not have a job and are actively looking.
    Last edited by tangent4ronpaul; 04-02-2011 at 01:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post
    ppl only have so much time to accept unemployment bennies - they run out. after they do - you are no longer "unemployed" - even if you do not have a job and are actively looking.
    Exactly. Technically, I'm not unemployed since I am not on unemployment. Nevermind the fact that I'm sending out resumes and have a recruiter.
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

As long as you are looking, you are still counted as unemployed- whether you are receiving benefits or not. Because benefits often require that you are actively looking for work, some on benefits will lie and say they are out looking- and when the bennies run out admit that they are not looking anymore. At that point, they drop from being considered unemployed.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    As long as you are looking, you are still counted as unemployed- whether you are receiving benefits or not. Because benefits often require that you are actively looking for work, some on benefits will lie and say they are out looking- and when the bennies run out admit that they are not looking anymore. At that point, they drop from being considered unemployed.
    What if you were never receiving unemployment to begin with?
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

Unemployment numbers are based on a phone survey of thousands of people. Are you working? Have you worked during the past week (if you worked at least one hour for pay- they count that as employed)? If you are not working- are you presently seeking employment (if not, you are not considered unemployed)? Are you or have you received benefits for unemployment is not a question so that is not a factor in deciding if somebody is unemployed or not.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 04-02-2011 at 02:10 PM.