Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Lew Rockwell Harming The Liberty Movement With His Constant Use of Hyperbole?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Is Lew Rockwell Harming The Liberty Movement With His Constant Use of Hyperbole?

Should Lew Rockwell tone done his rhetoric some? He seems like the libertarian version of Michael Savage except without the yelling.
    Last edited by Zatch; 03-29-2011 at 08:44 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Give an example.
    ----

Ron Paul Forum's Mission Statement:

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankRep View Post
    Give an example.
    Stuff like this: "The Evil Paul Krugman Attacks Ron Paul"

http://www.lewrockwell.com/wenzel/wenzel58.1.html

This one is actually by Wenzel but Lew uses the same kind of language.
    Last edited by Zatch; 03-29-2011 at 08:51 PM.

Well maybe not. It's still quite large though.

Site Information for hotair.comGet Details Alexa Traffic Rank: 3,799 Traffic Rank in US: 794 Sites Linking In: 4,608

Site Information for nationalreview.comGet Details Alexa Traffic Rank: 5,696 Traffic Rank in US: 1,189 Sites Linking In: 5,413

Site Information for lewrockwell.comGet Details Alexa Traffic Rank: 6,667 Traffic Rank in US: 1,587 Sites Linking In: 5,114

Site Information for redstate.comGet Details Alexa Traffic Rank: 12,045 Traffic Rank in US: 3,013 Sites Linking In: 3,469

Site Information for dailypaul.comGet Details Alexa Traffic Rank: 14,315 Traffic Rank in US: 4,018 Sites Linking In: 1,011

Site Information for ronpaulforums.comGet Details Alexa Traffic Rank: 23,681 Traffic Rank in US: 5,073 Sites Linking In: 375
    Last edited by Agorism; 03-29-2011 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zatch View Post

that's perfectly fine, what a wuss.

Quote Originally Posted by low preference guy View Post
    Yea, calling people evil just because they disagree with you politically is perfectly fine. /sarcasm

I read LRC on a regular basis and I'm not offended by his hyperbole. I'm just concerned it might be turning away libertarian newbs. Don't be a dick.
    Last edited by Zatch; 03-29-2011 at 10:04 PM.

Yea, calling people evil just because they disagree with you politically is perfectly fine.
    Paul Krugman is evil because of his morals which he uses to justify violence. Any initiation of force is violence. You don't think the initiation of force is evil?

Considering that Lew Rockwell is a market anarchist, I highly doubt he's labeling Krugman evil just because he disagrees with him.

Liberty is a ethical and philosophical stance not a political stance. That's what separates us from the moral relativist Statists.

Last edited by Vessol; 03-29-2011 at 10:03 PM.
    "Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."-Étienne de La Boétie

Quote Originally Posted by low preference guy View Post
    Exatcly, I dont see whats wrong with that article.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He is very polarizing but to my knowledge he is rarely read by anyone other than Libertarians.

Well his site via Alexa rankings is #1 in terms of Libertarian websites.

His site probably at least the size of Hotair.

Quote Originally Posted by Agorism View Post

So what he is doing/has been doing is working? Sounds like an argument to keep doing it.

His ranking is 6667, while Hot Air is 3799. He's got a little way to go.

ETA - oops - you posted. You notice that he has more sites linking in?
    Last edited by angelatc; 03-29-2011 at 08:58 PM.

Lew Rockwell isn't harming the liberty movement he's expanding it with his fine job with the website and his articles

I'm not a Rockwell fan, but he's certainly an excellent writer. I can see where he puts people off, especially if he is saying something that they disagree with, but he is a friend of Ron Paul's. That's just that.
    Last edited by angelatc; 03-29-2011 at 08:53 PM.

Well bigger than redstate and nearly as large as national review.

Well bigger than redstate and nearly as large as national review.
    Oh, I didn't even notice that! That's awesome.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Nah I think Lew Rockwell's tone is just fine, I havent seen him use any sort of really over the top words.
    Last edited by Tal; 03-29-2011 at 09:08 PM.

Dude, Ron Paul reads Lew Rockwell everyday, first story to last. Hyperbole?

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

I saw Lew on Freedom Watch and almost passed out, when he said we shouldn't have re-instituted the Bush tax cuts?

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    I saw Lew on Freedom Watch and almost passed out, when he said we shouldn't have re-instituted the Bush tax cuts?
    I didn't see this, but usually when Lew starts on a subject this way, he follows it by saying taxes should be eliminated entirely or something along those lines. You'll have to listen for context before passing out next time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

He's great and he shouldn't change a thing.

I love reading Lew Rockwell's articles. He uses a LOT less hyperbole than other partisan writers and doesn't do the double talk that many of them also do.
    "Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."-Étienne de La Boétie

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm not a big fan. Lew does have lots to offer, but he is so angry he turns other pro liberty people off.

When Rand was running for the Senate he got very little coverage on Lewrockwell.com. I suspect father told Lew to remain silent.

Another recent example - when Tom Woods posted a rebuttal to Mark Levin on LRC, Levin jumped at the opportunity to link his followers to LRC articles calling American soldiers murderers, calling for the abolition of drunk driving laws, and calling Reagan a tyrant. I cringed when Woods posted it on LRC because I knew it was coming. It had nothing to do with the perfectly reasonable argument that the Constitution delegated war powers to Congress rather than the executive. Yet, that's the takeaway.

Lew is in a position where he could assert influence over many who are sympathetic to our small-government ideas, but by and large, he takes the opportunity to turn his page into an echo chamber that condemns the very people who might be influenced.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    You're not making the claim that there's no objective best diet, are you?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by malkusm View Post
    Another recent example - when Tom Woods posted a rebuttal to Mark Levin on LRC, Levin jumped at the opportunity to link his followers to LRC articles calling American soldiers murderers, calling for the abolition of drunk driving laws, and calling Reagan a tyrant. I cringed when Woods posted it on LRC because I knew it was coming. It had nothing to do with the perfectly reasonable argument that the Constitution delegated war powers to Congress rather than the executive. Yet, that's the takeaway.

Lew is in a position where he could assert influence over many who are sympathetic to our small-government ideas, but by and large, he takes the opportunity to turn his page into an echo chamber that condemns the very people who might be influenced.
    well, Lew isn't a conservative. You shouldn't expect nice, PC, GOP-friendly conservatism from him. IMHO, LRC is way too kind to mainstream republicans/conservatives. The best thing about LRC is that the writers there don't mince words or play games. mises.org has better analysis of the "right" (and "left") in that regard. /end rant
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Lew is an anarchist. I like him. Libertarians who think that anything can be done through the political process are usually turned off by him. Im all in for the Ron Paul 2012 thing, but in my heart of hearts I know it wont change anything and government is essence will continue to grow, I dont care what you put in a constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackPeterSchiff View Post
    Lew is an anarchist. I like him. Libertarians who think that anything can be done through the political process are usually turned off by him. Im all in for the Ron Paul 2012 thing, but in my heart of hearts I know it wont change anything and government is essence will continue to grow, I dont care what you put in a constitution.
    “But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.” -Lysander Spooner

Many people have questioned why I support Ron Paul and other liberty candidates by going to CPAC and posting here and such. I don't view it as trying to get a political victory, but I view it as trying to get an educational victory.

Quote Originally Posted by malkusm View Post

That ^ I don't spend much time there anymore as
    (A) I already know what everybody is going to say because there is nothing new
    (B) Well reasoned analysis of why libertarianism provides the best solution to most of the problems of "public policy" is lacking. It is easier to rant than put forth the effort into dissecting the liberal and conservative positions that lead to increased tyranny of the government over the individual.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast