Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Re-cutting "FOR LIBERTY" to be used as a RP/R3V 2012 campaign tool - View within

Btw, what will be the cost for a DVD?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Watched the shortened version the whole way through.

I don't have any criticism, sorry. I think it's near perfect. Really good job Team For Liberty.

Emailed this thread to Frank at www.HollywoodRepublican.net

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    10:14 - I'd cut 'they were in belgium, they were everywhere' (the map shows this idea) and possibly slow the map pan to cover the time gap?
    26:31 - 'get the kids in so you can get the parents in' then at 27:03 Ron makes the same point about his campaign, seems a bit odd waddya think?
    I'm a moderator, and I'm glad to help. But I'm an individual -- my words come from me. Any idiocy within should reflect on me, not Ron Paul, and not Ron Paul Forums.

I've always hated the part at 47:33 where the Ron Paul sign with his face on it goes up in flames. A sign falling over, crumbling, or blowing away would have been better.

That aside, great job editing this down!

Quote Originally Posted by MRoCkEd View Post
    I've always hated the part at 47:33 where the Ron Paul sign with his face on it goes up in flames. A sign falling over, crumbling, or blowing away would have been better.

Yeah I could never relate to the downer part at all... I think addressing it is probably good, if the film recovers properly, and I think it does. But I more relate with Josh's comments 'what can we do? don't trust the machines.'
    I'm a moderator, and I'm glad to help. But I'm an individual -- my words come from me. Any idiocy within should reflect on me, not Ron Paul, and not Ron Paul Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by nayjevin View Post
    Yeah I could never relate to the downer part at all... I think addressing it is probably good, if the film recovers properly, and I think it does. But I more relate with Josh's comments 'what can we do? don't trust the machines.'
    Actually, I'm not quite fond of the "don't trust the machines" line (no offense at all to Josh for saying it). That would be one of my VERY few criticisms. It makes it look like we were coming up with excuses.

GOOD SUGGESTION: Edit the opening sequence (the montage of all the the candidates) to include Pawlenty, and some other possible 2012 candidates.

Also, why was this thread moved to Gen Politics?! It's going to get lost!
    Last edited by Dave Aiello; 04-02-2011 at 02:52 AM.

I just watched the re-cut version. I forgot how much I truly liked this film, and seeing faces to all the names. The only suggestion I would have would be, maybe, if possible, some "Ron Paul was right about..." footage could be included towards the end, really drive home the message that in the period of even the last 3 years, Ron Paul knew exactly what he was talking about, how the GOP voters made a terrible mistake not nominating him in the primaries, and show that the other GOP potentials have nothing to add to this debate other than "I'm Not Obama."

Thank for for this labor of love!

This video gave me a very uplifted feeling. I loved the song at the end thanks for sharing it.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by MRoCkEd View Post

agreed

just watched it. really nice job!! Great tempo all the way through! If you wanted to shave a few seconds off here or there I'd do it with some of the footage showing grassroots posting up signs. It's very good stuff, but how much do you really need to get the point across in a small amount of time?

+rep

While the walk for freedom was one of the most touching and best parts in "for Liberty" this re-cut version is just as informative and almost as moving as the original in half the time. Good job.
    "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." —Jeff Cooper

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

No offense when I say this: I couldn't make it through the first 5-6 minutes of the original version of For Liberty. I've been glued to the first 9 minutes of this version, and going to finish it-

good job

Have not watched the re-cut yet. Looking forward to it. One thought is to be sure to include details about the original cut and where to get it.

So here's my take on this:

I watched the first 3 minutes of this maybe 5 times, and thought cool, this is good to have something like this.

I just now finished watching the film in it's entirety and it's absolutely beautiful. I literally spent the last 10 minutes in tears - I somehow didn't know who Ron Paul was in 2008, but I have spent the past few months watching every video clip of him, listening to every audio file, reading every book, and studying every influence of his like the Mises Institute - I had no idea so many people shared my new found passion.

This film is a beautiful tribute to Ron and to everyone who was part of the 2008 movement that inevitably led to my conversion to a Ron Pauler just a few months ago.

Having said that, I developed a tinge of lingering uncertainty about half way through - if the grassroots movement was this powerful and with this level of momentum and commitment, and it all ultimately resulted in Ron barely cracking the top 5 in the republican primaries - what can we possibly do different this year? People's heart and souls were completely committed in 2008, so what can be added this year? Is media support the missing ingredient? I would love to see at the end of the film not only a call to action (which is unnecessary, as the action is inevitable as the film demonstrates), but some sort of answer that can inspire a new found hope for 2012 - perhaps all the favorable news clips of late that demonstrate a reversal of media opinion, and/or the fulfillment of Ron's predictions as another poster has mentioned above?

Anyhow - superb work on this project.
    Last edited by Lothario; 04-02-2011 at 11:02 PM.

Thanks for the great comments everyone, we really really appreciate people taking the time to view and post! We're keeping an eye on this thread and will be taking all opinions into consideration when making the next pass in the coming weeks. We've also gotten some great feedback via email. Aside from cutting out more (voting machine clip will be gone haha) and making other changes, we'll definitely be updating up the ending after the Rally with new relevant 2012 campaign info, maybe a killer quote (Margaret Mead comes to mind) and listing places & sites interested parties can go to learn more.

I am loving this new campaign logo. I really hope the official campaign goes with something like this.

Who designed that anyway?
    Last edited by AdamT; 04-03-2011 at 12:13 AM.
    For Liberty - Feature-length doc about the 2008 R3V | Twitter

So it's 2:30 am now, I'm sitting on my couch and I just re-lived the most influential year of my life.
    To whoever created this, you captured everything I remember about the Revolution. Everything from remembering how I felt during his first debate all the way through Super Tuesday and the inescapable feeling of being lost, confused and broken inside. It's an excellent film.

Now I'm not going to be able to sleep at all. I will probably sit up all night thinking of ways to make it happen this time (if we have another chance).
    Last edited by BLS; 04-03-2011 at 01:32 AM.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Thanks for the great comments everyone, we really really appreciate people taking the time to view and post! We're keeping an eye on this thread and will be taking all opinions into consideration when making the next pass in the coming weeks. We've also gotten some great feedback via email. Aside from cutting out more (voting machine clip will be gone haha) and making other changes, we'll definitely be updating up the ending after the Rally with new relevant 2012 campaign info, maybe a killer quote (Margaret Mead comes to mind) and listing places & sites interested parties can go to learn more.

I am loving this new campaign logo. I really hope the official campaign goes with something like this.

Who designed that anyway?
    Skylar Hartman. He made an elaborate site describing the logo project. I hope the campaign adopts this, or something as polished as this. Their last logo looked like something you could have done in microsoft paint lol... Anyway, here's the site: http://www.hartmancollective.com/119...Brand-Proposal

A few new small suggestions, after watching it for a second time:

1) The child saying "we put up signs everywhere.. spreading the message". I don't think this sends across the right message. To me, it says that this kid was forced to do something for which he doesn't understand. It's like he was brainwashed. A cute idea, but it didn't sit well with me, nor do I think it would with many viewers.

2) 43:16 - The clip of the 2 guys running on top of the snowbank and planting the sign - this doesn't really add much to the narrative, is a bit silly, and may give the impression that some supporters are a little loony. Maybe this could be done without.

3) 29:35 - After Ron says "what's going on here?", let that clip play through for the next few seconds, so we can hear the crowd's applause after that comment.

4) 31:00 - Instead of having Kokesh speaking to inform the viewer that Ron Paul raised the most money from our troops, maybe first show Ron's response to McCain's statement, FOLLOWED by Adam reiterating that point.

5) I agree with the few people who suggested eliminating the burning sign. It is a very effective clip, though I think there are less dramatic ways to convey the message of defeat. The burning sign may be a bit too extreme.

6) ** I Think this one's important** - at around the 45:00 mark, when the narrative is regarding Fox not inviting Ron to the debate, highlight that Thompson was invited, and Ron ended up receiving more than 3x as many votes as him in the NH primary, in spite of Fox setting the narrative that "one of those men would be the republican nominee". I don't think enough emphasis was put on this, and the fact that Ron out-polled Thompson, and finished almost even with giuliani even after not being included in the debate. The viewer is left looking for a solid answer as to why Ron didn't do so well, and this is a perfect example of clear media bias which the viewer can see as the major factor for Ron coming in 5th. May be able to find a good clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMzxD8ffZ4E . Goldwater, Jr. makes the case for Ron pretty well, and you might be able to get some good sound bytes out of Meg Kelly.

Can't thank you guys enough for the impeccable work you've done. This needs to be aired on TV. Period.
    Last edited by Dave Aiello; 04-04-2011 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulNation.Org View Post
    I don't agree with #2 but these are great ideas, and without having watched it again, I think I agree with all the rest. Good input.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Blu-ray would be amazing but is a lot more expensive and not everyone has players. No macs play them. DVD is way more common.

There would be about 45-60 minutes available for the bonus stuff. Needs to be quick, interesting, and well-done videos that won't bore people to death. Avaroth kind of things. They would have to add to wanting to learn more about Ron Paul and to get people to vote for him.
    I agree. 45-60 mins isn't much time to work with. I would like more of this "meet & great" type of politicking. People know who Ron Paul is somewhat, and realize he's a budget cutter. I believe some people (elderly and women) don't actually know or see the soft-hearted side of Dr. Paul, all they see is the staunch libertarian firebrand. That works well with men, especially younger men(18-35), but I would like to see the campaign and the grassroots focus a bit more on Ron Paul the person, the doctor, the family man. People like experiencing folksy charm, Ron indeed is a rather charming individual in the proper settings. The people that are timid of supporting Ron Paul for his "slash & burn" spending cuts need to know Ron isn't the ice cold, uncaring libertarian people sometimes take him for or expect him to be. We need more videos like this one below, and I'd like to see it added to the DVD extras.

Also please looking into the Blueray options and report back a per DVD/Blueray dollar figure comparison. I think the grassroots could vent some of our pent up presidential angst and flex our fund raising muscle and cover the cost differential.

More personal "down home" type stuff like in this video.

my hispanic roommate noted the absence of hispanics and blacks in the video - just a note.

Quote Originally Posted by Lothario View Post
    my hispanic roommate noted the absence of hispanics and blacks in the video - just a note.
    Tell your roommate he had to be there to be in the film.

I was at nearly every event in that film, but I don't appear in it once.

Should I be whining about me?

The film is awesome. Everything can always be better, but I tend not to rewrite, re-edit or re-direct when I review
    a documentary. I just look for its merits or otherwise, as-is. I like this one. 2 thumbs up.

Bosso

Just watched entire hour or so. Great Job. Made me cry, especially the middle & the flag burning. The fact that we "failed/lost" along with the state that our country is in now. So much hardwork & $ for naught. But we MUST continue....Let's Do It Again!

Around 8:30, it sounds like someone's blowing into a microphone.
    "That's one thing about freedom; you have to tolerate the nonsense too." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Knightskye View Post
    Around 8:30, it sounds like someone's blowing into a microphone.
    That's Michael exhaling on the "is". I can try and fix that up.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothario View Post
    This was not by intention, just the way it ended up. If anyone has Tube links to non-white supporters link them here and we'll see about fitting something in somewhere. I remember a really well spoken black lady from an early event, can't find it though.

Skylar Hartman. He made an elaborate site describing the logo project. I hope the campaign adopts this, or something as polished as this. Their last logo looked like something you could have done in microsoft paint lol... Anyway, here's the site: http://www.hartmancollective.com/119...Brand-Proposal
    Awesome, thanks for the link. This is an astounding logo and well thought out from a design/marketing perspective. By far the best so far, I would run with this in a second. Unless anything better comes along, this will be featured in the final version of the re-cut.

1) The child saying "we put up signs everywhere.. spreading the message". I don't think this sends across the right message. To me, it says that this kid was forced to do something for which he doesn't understand. It's like he was brainwashed. A cute idea, but it didn't sit well with me, nor do I think it would with many viewers.

2) 43:16 - The clip of the 2 guys running on top of the snowbank and planting the sign - this doesn't really add much to the narrative, is a bit silly, and may give the impression that some supporters are a little loony. Maybe this could be done without.

3) 29:35 - After Ron says "what's going on here?", let that clip play through for the next few seconds, so we can hear the crowd's applause after that comment.

4) 31:00 - Instead of having Kokesh speaking to inform the viewer that Ron Paul raised the most money from our troops, maybe first show Ron's response to McCain's statement, FOLLOWED by Adam reiterating that point.

5) I agree with the few people who suggested eliminating the burning sign. It is a very effective clip, though I think there are less dramatic ways to convey the message of defeat. The burning sign may be a bit too extreme.

6) ** I Think this one's important** - at around the 45:00 mark, when the narrative is regarding Fox not inviting Ron to the debate, highlight that Thompson was invited, and Ron ended up receiving more than 3x as many votes as him in the NH primary, in spite of Fox setting the narrative that "one of those men would be the republican nominee". I don't think enough emphasis was put on this, and the fact that Ron out-polled Thompson, and finished almost even with giuliani even after not being included in the debate. The viewer is left looking for a solid answer as to why Ron didn't do so well, and this is a perfect example of clear media bias which the viewer can see as the major factor for Ron coming in 5th. May be able to find a good clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMzxD8ffZ4E . Goldwater, Jr. makes the case for Ron pretty well, and you might be able to get some good sound bytes out of Meg Kelly.

Can't thank you guys enough for the impeccable work you've done. This needs to be aired on TV. Period.
    Thanks for this.
    1) this has come up from others too, no problem on cutting, we're indifferent on it (this is Bishu BTW, ie Corey's son. See him here in Corey's "commercial" for the doc haha.)

2) We left this in just to get a laugh and show how much fun people were having while freezing their asses off.

3) Can do.

4) Will have to look at this in the timeline and see what can be done.

5) I know a few others have brought this up, but this really is powerful imagery of absolute defeat, and planned as an emotional rollercoaster moment that touches people. Within minutes of this, the beat changes to "screw it, we're not giving up" and we launch into the upbeat DC March and into the Rally/ending. I can't really see removing this or the low/high arc is ruined.

6) Not sure making the point RP was out-polling Thompson is worth the extra editing this would involve. Although we do have a full interview with Goldwater we never used. Hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric21ND View Post
    Also please looking into the Blueray options and report back a per DVD/Blueray dollar figure comparison. I think the grassroots could vent some of our pent up presidential angst and flex our fund raising muscle and cover the cost differential.
    Have looked into it and BR is approx 3x the cost to manufacture vs DVD. There are other problems though.....authoring one of these is vastly more complex, right now I don't own a BR burner or any of the software that would be needed to author. Just not sure it's the right time for a BR, especially considering these are meant for handouts.

Another thing is acquiring 720p or better version of the bonus material sections would be really difficult. People make these as web videos and probably aren't thinking about HD. Some might not even be sourced in HD, so the benefits of the BR format would be moreless wasted. The Doc is sourced at 720p 24p, so that would look beautiful. But the rest....
    Last edited by AdamT; 04-06-2011 at 11:36 AM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast