In anticipation of RP/R3V2012 Corey and I have taken our original film and re-cut it, creating a much much shorter version which can be more easily taken in. We plan on mass producing this new version in minimalist packaging (which will in itself be RP2012 informational lit), and making them available in bulk on a new website for dirt cheap to be used as grassroots campaign handouts. Obviously we are waiting for RP to announce, but wanted to get a jump on this as we all know how crazy it will get once this thing kicks off!
Right now with the re-cut we're sitting at just under 60 minutes when the final credits roll. In the original the roll was around 110 mins, so so far we've shaved off almost 50%. But the shorter the better really. We want people to watch until the very end since there are some really emotional and powerful scenes there.
Those of you familiar with the original 110 minute version of the doc may notice some things right away.
1) the Walk for Freedom journey is gone. They still arrive in MN at the end but appear as just attendees of the Rally along with everyone else. While the touching story of their walk is fitting in the film's original structure, it serves less purpose when wanting to use the film as a quick educational tool promoting RP2012. Cutting W4F shaved 30 minutes right off the bat. Sorry to Michael and crew
2) Less detail on grassroots projects. Most still remain in some form or another, but are now just touched on vs giving all the backstory, etc. The purpose now is to give information about Ron Paul and why he is deserving of your Primary & General vote!
3) Some of the later debate clips were consolidated into a general section about half way through, focusing on how the media attacked RP and how he differs from the neocons in foreign policy, etc. Liberty vs Tyranny.
4) Many clips were removed that served no purpose in the re-cut, or helped generally speed things up and save on time.
5) There is an updated serif font for name tags vs the hard edges of the original one. Some people's subtitles were updated, like Kokesh for example.
6) There is a Red Giant filter on the whole film that pops the colors more, blurs the left-right edges, and adds a gentle vignette. Purpose is to add a bit more beauty and eye candy people are used to seeing in movies and TV shows.
7) The end credits crawl (text over black) is still the original version. We'll be updating that a bit for the final re-cut and with updated websites at the end.
8) Thinking of the idea of a permanent lower right watermark with "RonPaul2012.com" or whatever the official campaign site is. Open to suggestions if that's a good idea or not.
9) There is a burned-in timecode window to help better reference possible edits or changes.
We were thinking of putting up a title card in the very beginning (currently not in) with a couple short sentences like: "This is the story of the Ron Paul's 2007-08 Presidential campaign. We hope it helps you better understand Dr. Paul's unique and exceptional qualities as a candidate in the upcoming 2012 election." This is an important card since it's literally the first thing people will see when viewing. We are open to everyone helping work on that card to make it the best it can be.
We're still looking for places to shave off minutes to make it even shorter if possible. We've opened the cut up to anyone with the password, so feel free to view it and offer any suggestions. We hope by taking some time with this it can be a powerful tool to be used during the upcoming campaign.
[Edit] - this is the latest version after critique from this thread, however the DVD version may differ slightly.
Edit - The disc will have about 45-60 mins available for bonus/ancillary material to be included - which can be recent speeches, new Avaroth vids, things like the "What If" video, or whatever. Looking for the best stuff to put on there! Surely new vids will start getting cranked out once he announces. Open to what to include in this available disc space, and we can even update these in future DVD pressings as the campaign rages on. May have to open a new thread for that when the time comes.