Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North Carolina Job Growth Through Regulatory Reform

North Carolina Job Growth Through Regulatory Reform

http://www.scribd.com/doc/51731899/N...ulatory-Reform

This is a DRAFT bill, that will be introduced soon. There is a short window for public input to make the bill better.

I don't need to tell you how much heat this will take off of me right now for this to go viral...
    http://glenbradley.net/share/aleksan...nitsyn_4-t.gif “And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.” ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If someone could summarize a front page post that would be worthy of promotion, that would help me greatly.

Working on ssl issues at the moment but will come back to this.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshLowry View Post
    If someone could summarize a front page post that would be worthy of promotion, that would help me greatly.

Working on ssl issues at the moment but will come back to this.
    I have a private meeting with Dr Paul, then a private reception, then the main event, I'll be able to work on that tonight. Thanks a million!
    http://glenbradley.net/share/aleksan...nitsyn_4-t.gif “And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.” ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Glen, are you going to put this on your RepGB FaceBook page? I can put together a simple post for the front page and figure it'll be easier for readers if I link to that FB page...
    Don't let others get you down. Not naysayers, not pretenders, not appeasers, not opportunists; none of em.

What others do pales beside what YOU do.

Press on! - The r3VOLution continues...

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."

~ C.Coolidge

Do we want people adding their amendments to this bill?

Drudge bomb for tomorrow?

OK, this bill files TODAY, and will be the House GOP Freshman's (4 of us right now) answer to establishment GOP "Mission Creep" in the NC House.

I'll come back to update this thread with a bill number and some basic points about the bill. If we can manage to make this bill the blistering talk of the state and nation, it will go a long way not only to effective reform, but also to Glen Bradley 2012.

Of all the bills I am introducing or sponsoring or cosponsoring this session, this is the one that will need the most help getting pushed above the waterline by the grassroots. It may not be the most fundamentally transformative or the most controversial, but it is the one most likely to capture the imagination, pass, and have a positive effect on the everyday lives of the 'average Joe.'.

That alone will not only help in 2012, but it will lend credence to the rest of my efforts that WILL have a more fundamentally transformative effect.

Keep an eye out here. When I have a bill number and a NCGA link, I will report it, and tonight I'll put up a bullet point explanation of what it does.

Thanks again!

I'll keep an eye out, Glen. Anything you can do to provide a breakdown/summary for a statewide C4L email will help me get said email out quickly.

Thanks!

Will do - it is a 10-point bill, and it is very profound in the arena of regulatory reform. One of the primary planks I ran on was that you grow jobs by getting government out of the way and letting the free market innovate, expand, grow, and hire. This regulatory reform bill addresses regulatory reform by striking at the root of the issue. Of everything else I am doing, this bill will most impact the guy on the ground, and it will be for the positive in a big, big way.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

We have a bill number and a link now -- the bullet-point summary I'll start building on this thread tonight:

NC House Bill 587 - Job Growth Through Regulatory Reform

http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/BillL...11&BillID=H587

It is no understatement when I say this is far and away the most important bill I have touched this session. It does not have the kind of apparent policy impact of Farmer's Freedom or Intrastate Commerce, but this is the bill that will help to justify everything else I have been doing.

Great! I've got the Meck C4L monthly meeting, so I'll check back on this thread tomorrow afternoon and start getting the word out on Morning Beat with Chad Adams Wednesday morning.

I'm afraid a summary maybe longer than the bill itself, this thing really is packed in a most compressed manner.

Section 1 adds two definitions,

"Significant Rule Change" that will require review and opportunities for regulatory repeal far more often than the existing "Substantial Economic impact" by creating more reasons for review and repeal and rejection of new/existing regulations.

"Small Business" at annual revenues of $6Mn or less and employees of 500 or less. Sounds a bit big for a "small business" to me, but I have been assured by 3 disparate sources that this brings NC into compliance with the Federal definition. I am awaiting the citation for that now.

Section 2 prevents regulatory bodies from 'exceeding their mandate' by creating regulations that go further than the authority granted by Congress of the General Assembly

Section 3 Amends current general Statutes GS 150B-21.2 to establish the procedures for making a new permanent rule/regulation (making it much more difficult than present)

§3(a)(2) requires a true cost-benefit analysis and a small business regulatory flexibility analysis rather than a simple fiscal note.
    §3(c)(2) requires a more detailed analysis of the new rules effect, a justification for the rules existence, and justification of the rule in a manner the public can clearly read and understand.
    §3(c)(3) requires that any new rule explicitly cite it's authority under US Code, of NC General Statute, and if any reasonable argument can be made that the authority does not exist, the new rule cannot be made.
    §3(c)(8) adds requirements for Cost-benefit analysis before any new rule, requires small business flexibility analysis to minimize impact on small business, and requires the ability for anybody effected to obtain copies of proposed rules and their full analysis.
    §3(c)(10) adds the ability for any person to have standing to seek judicial review in challenging the adoption of any regulation.

Section 4 Amends current Statutes GS150B-21.4 detailing the means methods and content of pre-regulatory analysis, and sets criteria for acceptance/rejection of new rules or changes in existing rules.

(b1) simply swaps the existing "Substantial Economic Impact" for the new "Significant Rule Change" and requires a Cost Benefit Analysis instead of a mere Fiscal note.

(b2) specifies the content of the CBA, that it must include:
    (5) list of costs and benefits focusing on the MARKET not government
    (6) alternatives to the proposed rule, and why the proposed rule was chosen
    (7) Any other factors that OSBM wants when judging whether regulations should stay or go

(b3) reasons that OSBM will be required to reject a new/existing rule (regulation)
    (1) costs exceed benefits
    (2) one of the proposed alternatives will cost less and will probably achieve the objective
    (3) the proposed rule won't accomplish the objective

(b4) reasons that OSBM may approve a rule DESPITE (b3) above
    (1) serious and unforseen threat (2) NCGA passes a new law requiring it, (3) Congress passes a law requiring it, (4) a change in the budget requires it, or (5) a court orders it

(b5) periodic review of rules (regulations)
    (1) all agencies with regulations will be required to review their existing regulations within 6 months of passing this act to determine (and justify) keeping or discarding them, including public comentary and legislative oversight.
    (2) Re-review regulations annually.
    (3) All regulations must have an effort to minimize impact, specifically citing answers for a. through e.
    (4) Every agency must submit annual list of all rules and regulations explaining their economic impact.
    (5) similar to (3) above, if a. through e. are not satisfactory, OSMB requires rules to drop or amend.
    (6) similar to (b4) above, reasons OSBM may accept a rule despite (5)
    (7) annual summary of findings reported to legislative commission

(b6) establishes Small Business Regulatory Flexibility Analysis - kind of like a SUPER cost-benefit analysis specifically aimed at reducing the regulatory impact on small business.

Section 5 Amends GS 150B-21.9 to specify standards and timetables for legislative commission review.

Commission must reject rules of no clear authority for them exists.
    Commission must consider whether NCGO or US Congress intended the explicit regulatory power claimed
    OSBM MUST approve the cost benefit analysis and small business regulatory flexibility analysis to allow rules
    Commission may ask OSBM to provide analysis of a given rule for review and removal.

Section 6 Periodic Review of regulations by legislative commission

Same as Section 4 (b5) above, but applied to legislative commission

Section 7 Right to judicial review

ANY affected person has standing within one year of regulatory enactment to seek judicial review for whether a new rule may exist under this law.

Section 8 Adds definition to GS 62-3 which will focus regulation of public utilities to benefit utility consumers as consumers and not "society in general"

Section 9 Applies new definition from Section 8 to preemptively strike against Sate-level cap-and-trade type regulation from regulatory authority; allows public review and legislative oversight

Section 10 Creates a new legislative commission to review State licensure practices and procedures with the explicit mandate to reduce licensure and remove barriers to market entry.

Section 10.5 Appropriates $50,000 for the operations of the new legislative commission to reduce and reduce the impact of State licensure programs.

LOL yeah, so how does one summarize that kind of summary? haha

This bill will be read-in on first reading Tuesday at 2PM during session. That means that legislators will be available to cosponsor it until Wednesday at 2PM. (24 hours from 1st reading).

My goal on the nets is to make an insane crazy noise about the bill in an effort to really push cosponsorship prior to the Wednesday 2PM deadline. Establishing legitimacy on the Jobs Bill will greatly enhance my efforts everywhere else over the duration of the 2011-2012 session...

Now I have to come up with a really good press release to blast out to all the media I can wrangle...

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    UNC School of Government has produced a summary of House Bill 587 -- those poor overworked people, this is the longest summary I have ever seen from UNC SOG --

H 587. NORTH CAROLINA JOBS BILL. Filed 4/4/11. TO PROMOTE NORTH CAROLINA JOB GROWTH THROUGH REGULATORY REFORM.

Amends GS 150B-2 (definitions applicable to the Administrative Procedure Act) to add two definitions. Defines significant rule change as a proposed rule that may: (1) have a significant effect on the economy, state, or local funds, (2) create an inconsistency with an action taken or planned by another agency, or (3) raise novel policy issues. Defines small business as a business entity, including affiliates, that (1) is independently owned and operated and (2) either has gross annual sales less than $6 million or employs fewer than 500 full-time employees. Makes a technical change. Enacts new GS 150B-19(8), prohibiting an agency from adopting a rule that exceeds standards or requirements established by federal law or regulation, unless expressly required by an act of the General Assembly. Amends GS 150B-21.2(a)(2), directing an agency to prepare or obtain, when required, a fiscal note, cost-benefit analysis, and small business regulatory flexibility analysis before adopting a permanent rule. Amends GS 150B-21.2(c), requiring a notice of the proposed rule or textual changes to an existing rule to include, in addition to requirements under current law, a short summary of the existing regulations and an explanation of how the proposed rule would change those regulations, as specified. Also requires the notice to cite to the law giving the agency authority to adopt the rule and a detailed explanation of the specific citations, as detailed. Requires the notice to include a statement explaining how the fiscal note, cost-benefit analysis, or small business regulatory flexibility analysis was conducted and how to obtain copies, if applicable. Adds that the notice must include the right to judicial review for any person seeking to challenge the rule adoption.

Amends GS 150B-21.4(b1), requiring an agency to obtain a cost-benefit analysis (rather than a fiscal note) for the proposed rule change from the Office of State Budget and Management (OSBM) or prepare a cost-benefit analysis (rather than a fiscal note) for approval before the agency publishes the proposed text of a permanent rule change that would be a significant rule change (currently, would have a substantial economic impact) and that is not identical to a required federal regulation in the North Carolina Register. Further amends the statute, replacing all references to “fiscal note” with “cost-benefit analysis” and all references to “substantial economic impact” with “significant rule change.” Clarifies that a significant rule change includes any rule with an aggregate financial impact on all persons affected of at least $3 million in a 12 -month period. Makes conforming changes. Amends GS 150B-21.4(b2), adding three items that the cost-benefit analysis must include to the current list. Enacts new subsection (b3) to GS 150B-21.4, directing the OSBM to reject the proposed rule based on the cost-benefit analysis if: (1) the projected costs exceed projected benefits, as detailed; (2) an alternative is less costly and reasonably likely to achieve the same objective; or (3) the proposed rule change would not achieve the stated purpose. Enacts new subsection (b4), directing the OSBM to approve the proposed rule if the rule minimizes the economic impact to the greatest extent possible and the rule responds to at least one of five specified considerations. Enacts new subsection (b5), requiring and detailing each agency’s periodic review of rules. Directs agencies to review rules adopted after the act’s enactment each year to minimize economic impact, and lists factors for consideration. Details reporting requirements and circumstances under which rules are amended or rescinded. Enacts new subsection (b6), requiring each agency to prepare a small business impact statement, including the listed information, before adopting any proposed regulation that may have an adverse impact on small businesses. Directs an agency to consider and provide to OSBM five enumerated methods to reduce the impact before the agency publishes in the NC Register, and requires that OSBM reject a proposed rule if the agency fails to take reasonable steps to reduce the impact. Makes clarifying changes to GS 150B-21.4(c).

Amends GS 150B-21.9 (standards and timetables for review by the Rules Review Commission), clarifying that the Rules Review Commission (Commission) must determine whether the rule is within the clear authority delegated to the agency by the General Assembly, and no reasonable argument can be made that the authority does not exist. The Commission must also determine that the rule is reasonably necessary to implement or interpret a state law (currently, state law or federal law or regulation), and that the General Assembly likely intended for the agency to adopt the rule. Adds that the Commission must determine that the OSBM properly approved the cost-benefit analysis and small business regulatory flexibility analysis, as required. Adds that the Commission may ask the OSBM to determine if the rule may have an adverse impact on small businesses and consequently requires a small business regulatory flexibility analysis, and directs the Commission to make the inquiry if an analysis was not prepared and the Commission receives a written request for determination. Deletes GS 150B-21.9(a1), which created a rebuttable presumption that a rule was adopted in accordance with Part 2, upon entry of the rule in the NC Administrative Code after review by the Commission. Makes conforming changes.

Enacts new GS 150B-21.17, directing the OSBM to provide an annual summary to the Commission, explaining why the OSBM directed each agency to rescind or amend a rule, or decided that no action on a rule was necessary. Requires the Commission to direct the OSBM to amend or rescind a rule if the Commission determines the agency could not demonstrate five specified circumstances. Permits a rule to be amended or rescinded only if the rule is not required to respond to at least one of five listed conditions. Amends GS 150B-43, which provides a right to judicial review, adding that any person is entitled to judicial review to determine whether a rule has been properly adopted within one year after the final rule’s effective date.

Amends GS 62-3, defining using and consuming public as utility consumers solely in their roles as consumers. Amends GS 62-15, directing the Public Staff in the NC Utilities Commission (Utilities Commission) to consider only the interests of the using and consuming public in their interest as consumers. Prohibits the Public Staff from taking any action that would lead to higher prices unless the prices are clearly justified for more reliable or better utility services. Further adds that a member of the using and consuming public may petition the Utilities Commission to review whether the Public Staff acted according to the directive, and requires the Utilities Commission to take specified steps if the Public Staff did not.

Creates a 12 member Legislative Study Commission on Occupational Licensing (Study Commission). Details the Study Commission membership, duties, and administrative considerations. Directs the Study Commission to make a final report to the 2012 Regular Session of the General Assembly upon convening, and to terminate after filing the report. Appropriates $50,000 from the General Fund to the General Assembly for 2011-12 to fund the Study Commission.

Effective July 1, 2011. Intro. by Bradley, H. Warren, Torbett, Hastings.

Business and Commerce; APA/Rule Making; Budget and Appropriations; Energy and Utilities

APPROP, GS 150B, 62

bump

http://libertyclick.com/blog/legisla...latory-reform/

State Representative Glen Bradley of North Carolina has introduced a bill protecting small businesses and encouraging job growth through regulatory reform:

NC House Bill 587 – Job Growth Through Regulatory Reform

The bill directs the Office of State Budget and Management (OSBM) to perform a comprehensive flexibility analysis prior to enacting regulatory legislation which would affect small businesses in North Carolina. The process includes a requirement to summarize existing regulations and the proposed changes to it, cost-benefit analysis, and a summary of the methodology of that analysis. It offers a time period during which any affected person may challenge the proposal and call upon judicial review. Most importantly, it requires that the review board determine whether the rule is within the clear authority delegated by the General Assembly – and that no reasonable argument can be made that the authority does not exist.

The oversight agency that performs the analysis is instructed to reject any proposed legislative changes wherein:

1) costs exceed benefits
    2) there is a less costly, reasonable alternative
    3) such changes will not achieve the stated purpose.

The bill directs agencies to annually review changes for any adverse impact on small businesses, and aims to protect consumers from potential abuse by public utilities by prohibiting any action leading to higher prices unless clearly justified as an improvement in service. It adds further safeguards by allowing any utility consumer to petition the Utilities Commission for a review of such justification.

Go Glen!
    I'm a moderator, and I'm glad to help. But I'm an individual -- my words come from me. Any idiocy within should reflect on me, not Ron Paul, and not Ron Paul Forums.

WOOT! Thankee sai, the biggest thing about this bill is that by regulating the regulators it addresses the long term systemic issues that lead to the over-regulation problem in the first place. This makes it a LOT harder to make new regulations, a LOT harder to keep old regulations, and regulations MUST be justified, publically and in plain language, or they can not exist.

Just repealing one or several regulations is a short-term nonfix, but this methodology actually strikes at the root of overregulation and works to forestall or prevent the continuing practice of overregulation into the future.

seven cosponsors, and 20 hours left to sign on

Check it out

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Raleigh, NC – Representative Glen Bradley has partnered with Representatives Harry Warren, John Torbett, and Kelly Hastings to produce, file, and introduce House Bill 587, the North Carolina Job Growth Through Regulatory Reform Act. The NC Jobs Bill addresses the heart of the regulatory process to remove bad regulations, stop new bad regulations from being enacted, prevent regulatory burdens from impacting growth and hiring, and to remove barriers to market entry for entrepreneurs, including the reassessment, reduction, or removal of State licensure programs.

House Bill 587, an Act to Promote North Carolina Job Growth through Regulatory Reform was introduced and passed the first reading on April 5th 2011 in the North Carolina State House of Representatives. The NC Jobs Bill includes recommendations that had been passed on from Governor Beverly Perdue towards the accomplishment of regulatory reform, it is the result of several weeks of hard work by Representatives Bradley, Harry Warren, Torbett, and Hastings, and is directly supported by a business coalition to include:

“This regulatory reform package has been specifically directed towards reforming the regulatory processes which most affect job growth in North Carolina, and its enactment will have a profound impact on job growth and economic recovery in our State,” said Representative Glen Bradley, the primary organizer of the NC Jobs Bill, “This bill is truly groundbreaking in its scope, depth, and effect, and if passed it will make North Carolina a nationwide leader in our national economic recovery.”

House Bill 587 was introduced into the NC State House on April 5th 2011, and prior to its introduction had already picked up five cosponsorships from Representatives Mark Hilton, David Lewis, Bert Jones, Tim Moffitt, and Mike Stone. Information on the bill and its progress is available on the North Carolina General Assembly website at http://ncleg.net/

# # #

Contact: Rosalie Schendel at (919) 733-5860 or bradleyla@ncleg.net

Last time I looked, there were 15 co-sponsors already!

Campaign for Liberty national was kind enough to rush out a statewide email I submitted on this bill based on the press release Jacque posted above. Should result in a good number of calls and emails to House reps tonight and tomorrow.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by aclove View Post
    Campaign for Liberty national was kind enough to rush out a statewide email I submitted on this bill based on the press release Jacque posted above. Should result in a good number of calls and emails to House reps tonight and tomorrow.
    Thanks! 16 cosponsors, and the establishment is climbing onboard too.. this one may actually be green-lit. Even Skip Stam told me "this is the first jobs bill that is actually a jobs bill." Something tells me this one is on a good, good trajectory. :collins:

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Thanks! 16 cosponsors, and the establishment is climbing onboard too.. this one may actually be green-lit. Even Skip Stam told me "this is the first jobs bill that is actually a jobs bill." Something tells me this one is on a good, good trajectory. :collins:
    Gotta love that

Wondering about the press release above though; it says, "is directly supported by a business coalition to include:" and doesn't list anything...
    Don't let others get you down. Not naysayers, not pretenders, not appeasers, not opportunists; none of em.

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."

~ C.Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by ronpaulhawaii View Post
    Gotta love that

Wondering about the press release above though; it says, "is directly supported by a business coalition to include:" and doesn't list anything...
    Yeah, we were contacted by a couple representatives for a business coalition that want to help support the bill, the coalition including a large list of very impressive orgs. I found out after the press release was sent that they had not gotten permission yet to release the names as supporters, so I issued a partial retraction of just the list of names. Fortunately the C4L (Adam Love specifically?) re-wrote it to not have that hiccup.

But I expect that whole list and more to be back on board once they read it and understand what it does. It is a long-term solution to stopping regulatory overreach, focusing specifically on those areas of regulation that directly effect job growth.

This bill will take NC from something like 45th in terms of regulatory reform, to something close to #1 in the nation. If passed, I believe that within 1 year of passage, there will be a kind of 'gold rush' of companies moving to NC and job growth that leads the nation.

So I fully expect the original list of companies and orgs to be back on board soonest, and then it will just grow and grow.

I can understand the desire to pause and take a deeper look -- this bill is so densely packed that it is difficult for even veteran legislators to grasp at first glance. The deeper you look though, the better it gets.

Yeah, we were contacted by a couple representatives for a business coalition that want to help support the bill, the coalition including a large list of very impressive orgs. I found out after the press release was sent that they had not gotten permission yet to release the names as supporters, so I issued a partial retraction of just the list of names. Fortunately the C4L (Adam Love specifically?) re-wrote it to not have that hiccup.

But I expect that whole list and more to be back on board once they read it and understand what it does. It is a long-term solution to stopping regulatory overreach, focusing specifically on those areas of regulation that directly effect job growth.

This bill will take NC from something like 45th in terms of regulatory reform, to something close to #1 in the nation. If passed, I believe that within 1 year of passage, there will be a kind of 'gold rush' of companies moving to NC and job growth that leads the nation.

So I fully expect the original list of companies and orgs to be back on board soonest, and then it will just grow and grow.

I can understand the desire to pause and take a deeper look -- this bill is so densely packed that it is difficult for even veteran legislators to grasp at first glance. The deeper you look though, the better it gets.
    Is there a link to the re-write so I can edit the front page post?

~ C.Coolidge

Yes, I caught that there weren't any orgs listed and edited the statewide email I submitted to C4L national accordingly. My next step will be a second, longer email sent out about this bill next week, this one with an online petition. Once we've built up a good number of signatures, I'll hit the members of the Committee on Commerce and Job Development with them for some focused grassroots pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by ronpaulhawaii View Post
    Is there a link to the re-write so I can edit the front page post?
    It was in the C4L e-mail, which I don't get on my leg email. I can rustle it up from the iPad tho I think... stand by...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast