Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Intercity Passenger Rail

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    A Pennsy T-1! Brand new!

I believe this is the first Raymond Loewy original design built from steel in over forty years.

I have recently read there are some who are building brand new steam engines that represent several quanta improvements over the trains of yore. Apparently, materials science has solved many of the problems that plagued the old horses.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Great Christmas function at Wiscasett Waterville and Farmington today.

#9 up and running all day.

Couple more pics...

Last edited by Anti Federalist; 12-21-2015 at 09:33 PM.

^^^ This is really one the very best railroad museums in the country ^^^

If you're ever in downeast Maine, I highly suggest stopping by, if you have any interest at all in such things.

You will not regret it.

So, guess what I did today...

Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Co. & Museum

Want to drive a steam engine!? We're offering a rare opportunity to be a "guest engineer" on Locomotive #3 after Christmas! This is a special hands-on experience that will let you travel back in time as you operate a 100-year old steam locomotive. This program is being held on December 26/27 and January 2/3. The cost is $200 for an hour and a half. Please message us or call 207-828-0814 to reserve your spot, there are limited times available, don't delay! A great Christmas gift!

https://www.facebook.com/mainenarrow...type=3&theater

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Another picture of #9

At the throttle of #3

Bump for acptulsa, who I see is back around.

Got damn it...now who am I going to talk trains with?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    What the hell happened?
    "The Patriarch"

You will find a new place.

Try these to begin with.

https://www.facebook.com/Train-Buddies-183620188344390/

http://www.railroad.net/forums/

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    What the hell happened?
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ptulsa-BANNED-!

Closed thread? Isn't that like the "newz" sites that post propaganda pieces and don't allow comments? What the f.... oh, excuse me, I forgot. No swearing here. No insulting spammers. But you can lick up one side of Trumps dick and down the other and hey, it's awesome baby. What a pathetic joke.
    "The Patriarch"

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Closed thread? Isn't that like the "newz" sites that post propaganda pieces and don't allow comments? What the f.... oh, excuse me, I forgot. No swearing here. No insulting spammers. But you can lick up one side of Trumps dick and down the other and hey, it's awesome baby. What a pathetic joke.
    Hope you're not blaming me. I only answered your question.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Hope you're not blaming me. I only answered your question.
    Giraffes
    "The Patriarch"

Giraffes
    Well, ya can never tell when it comes to a grumpy cat.

You know better doc, hows the "puppy" doing?
    "The Patriarch"

You know better doc, hows the "puppy" doing?

Well? If you crank two axles of a duplex so all the wheels turn together, and none of them slip unless all of them slip, is that really a 4-10-4, Sheldon? Or is it still a four cylinder simple engine on a rigid chassis, and therefore a 4-4-6-4 Duplex? Inquiring minds want to know.

I know a certain beer company made a joke of the phrase years ago, but I really do love you, man.

Invalid Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator
    Well that clears it right up, LOL

Originalist, my good man, I fear it's no longer permissible for the old cats to be grumpy...

The 21 Campaign: Watch your money go up in smoke!

https://fundrazr.com/21campaign

The WW&F Introduces the 21 Campaign

The Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington Railway, with roots reaching back to 1854 but alive and kicking in the 21st Century, announces its 21 Campaign. The number "21" represents our commitment to both restoring locomotive #10 to service and building locomotive #11, a reconstruction of original WW&F locomotive #7. The goals of today’s WW&F Railway are grandiose and plentiful consistent with the outlook of the Wiscasset & Quebec Railroad in the mid 1800s. With that in mind, this campaign's goals are to raise funds to construct boilers for locomotives #10 and #11 and build enthusiasm and interest among our supporters and volunteers.
    Enthusiasm Fuels Itself!

Our museum thrives on this principle. Our culture promotes the hands on involvement of our members to identify and rise to challenges. A team effort allows us to stretch our donor's dollars and creates pride of ownership. The effort results in infectious enthusiasm, and greater involvement, allowing us to repeat successful performances and increase their breadth. Perhaps this is best illustrated by the recent return of locomotive #9 to service after 83 years, but those familiar with the museum have seen similar results play out time and time again. Exciting projects like reconstructing the Wiscasset turntable and restoring boxcar 67 are underway. Our success is defined by forward motion; we apply consistent effort to make regular progress on our goals, until those goals are met. When a goal involves a challenge, we meet it.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 05-04-2016 at 07:13 PM.

New Yorkers use an old, elevated Forney track to squeeze in a nice park and every photojournalist on the PBS payroll comes running. These people pick a beautiful spot and run a Forney through it, and railfans will have to put it on YouTube.

No wonder it gets such lousy ratings. They only show trains the two weeks they're begging for money.

Last edited by acptulsa; 05-04-2016 at 08:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They get some good local coverage.

http://www.wmtw.com/news/hometown-maine-alna/37045000

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    New Yorkers use an old, elevated Forney track to squeeze in a nice park and every photojournalist on the PBS payroll comes running. These people pick a beautiful spot and run a Forney through it, and railfans will have to put it on YouTube.

No wonder it gets such lousy ratings. They only show trains the two weeks they're begging for money.

A '41 Baldwin 4-8-4

3600 net drawbar horsepower at 40, and a top speed of about 125.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 06-08-2016 at 11:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Anthrax...

Amtrak Spending $2.4 Billion on New 'Faster' Trains That Probably Won't Go Any Faster

https://reason.com/blog/2016/09/01/a...-on-new-faster

The big purchase is a good metaphor for the state of high speed rail in America right now, where politically driven promises can't overcome hard reality.

Eric Boehm|Sep. 1, 2016 9:35 am

Amtrak's announcement that it plans to spend $2.4 billion upgrading its fleet of Acela trains is a little bit like a guy who plans to buy a new Ferrari to use on his daily commute and nothing else.

Sure, you've got a flashy new toy that can outrun anything else on the road—but if the roads are clogged and you can't put the pedal down to really make that baby hum, then what's the point?

The 28 new trains will be running by 2019 and will be able to go 160 mph, according to Amtrak. That's 25 mph faster than the Acela's current top speed. That modest increase in speed is a key part of Amtrak's decision to purchase the new trains—or at least a key part of their public sales pitch—and was dutifully reported in the media as evidence that the government-run train system would soon provide faster service up and down the east coast.

Is this the European-style high speed rail of progressive dreams? Amtrak's president and CEO, Joe Boardman, seems to think so. He said the new trains will provide passengers with "the experience of the future."

The reality of the present suggests a different outcome.

Even if the new trains are capable of going faster, that doesn't mean they actually will. In fact, they probably won't, because the current Acela almost never reaches top speed. Like highways, railroads have speed limits that take into account infrastructure and congestion. Most of the Northeast Corridor between Washington, D.C., and Boston is crowded with slower commuter trains and traverses rail lines that aren't capable of handling an Acela train at top speed.

According to Amtrak's official Northeast Corridor timetable (which contains the speed limits for every section of rail between D.C. and Boston), there are just three small patches where the trains are allowed to go 135 mph or faster.

Going north to south, the first is a 50-mile stretch in Rhode Island and eastern Connecticut, followed by a 25-mile stretch in central New Jersey and then a 20-mile stretch south of Wilmington, Delaware and into the very tip of northeastern Maryland. That's all.

"The reality is some of the $2.45 billion will be spent improving a short stretch of track between Washington and Baltimore, but this is likely to shave no more than a few minutes off its train times," says Randal O'Toole, a senior fellow on transportation issues at the Cato Institute.

Between New York and Washington, the current average speed of Amtrak's fastest "high-speed" Acela is 82 mph, but most run at about 78 mph, O'Toole's research shows.

"Will the $2.45 billion loan allow Amtrak to boost that average speed to more than 85? Probably not," he says.

Meanwhile, Amtrak has a $21 billion maintenance backlog. Upgrades that improve safety and reliability along the route would be welcome, and maybe some of the aging Acela cars are due for replacement—but does that mean they all need to be scrapped and replaced?

In some ways, this latest purchase is a metaphor for the state of high speed rail in America right now. The Obama administration and Amtrak officials have spent the last eight years promising that railroads—a technology of the 19th and early 20th centuries—would be the transportation system of the future. Those grand plans to reshape how Americans travel keep running into some pesky facts of life in the 21st Century: like the fact that most of America is not densely populated enough to make high speed rail work the way it does in Japan or Germany, or the fact that there's a limited amount of space on train lines in the northeast.

President Barack Obama started beating the drum for high speed rail even before he became president. The federal stimulus bill, which Obama signed into law in February 2009, contained $8 billion for high speed rail projects. A quarter of that money was earmarked for a high speed rail project in California that's more than a decade beyond schedule and billions of dollars over-budget. He kept pushing for more, including a promise made in his 2010 State of the Union address to provide 80 percent of Americans with access to high speed rail within 25 years.

After the speech his administration laid out ambitious plans for high speed rail corridors in the northeast, yes, but also across the southeast, in Texas, in California and a few other places where it wasn't needed and didn't make sense.

"I think President Obama would like to be known as the high-speed rail president, and I think he can be," Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood told NPR at the time.

As Obama gets ready to leave office, that dream of a European-like high speed rail system running from Boston to Washington, D.C., is likely an impossible one, because of the lack of a dedicated line not shared by slower commuter trains.

A European-style high speed rail system would have to operate on its own right-of-way, but thats a problem too. There's simply not enough available space in the densely populated northeast. Acquiring a new railroad right-of-way by buying up some of the most expensive real estate in the country is simply unaffordable even for the federal government, and relying on a massive application of eminent domain would uproot untold hundreds of families and businesses while still being prohibitively expensive.

Amtrak says a project like that would cost $150 billion and take 25 years—and that's before the inevitable delays and cost overruns.

"There's no conceivable way to generate enough traffic and revenue to cover the capital costs of such a project," said Bob Poole, director of transportation policy at the Reason Foundation (which publishes this blog).

Considering all those constraints, the Acela is actually pretty good. It gets you from city to city without having to sit in traffic or endure a TSA pat-down.

It suffers because there are lots of political reasons for overpromising what high speed rail in America could be. Once you set aside the aspirational rhetoric, the reality is that we're probably never going to have trains that actually run at 200 MPH or even 160 MPH for more than a few miles at a time—no matter how much money Amtrak spends on fancy new railcars

Well, another Christmas season, another WW and F Christmas function.

Much more "Christamasy" this year.

Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast