Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The negative health effects of cannabis use.

The negative health effects of cannabis use.

A king metal slime draws near!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The negative effects of cannabis use will be pretty much the same as the negative effects of tobacco use. Actually anything that is inhaled will have similar negative effects. The consumption of cannabis by eating it will have only temporary negative effects.

This ^ Anything smoked puts carbon monoxide and other chemicals into your body.

EDIT: If you go to the second video in the series, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwmWZ...layer_embedded I have made several comments as "TheLibertySurfer", please rate them up so they will float to the top! One of them is already there, in the "most popular" comments section, but I have 5 or 6 below right together that need to take over the other silly comments that some how got up there.

It's really a shame I won't be able to watch this video and debunk it until later as I've been researching this stuff and experiencing it myself for over a decade. For now I'll have to stick to debunking comments by other posters.

Quote Originally Posted by virgil47 View Post
    The negative effects of cannabis use will be pretty much the same as the negative effects of tobacco use. Actually anything that is inhaled will have similar negative effects. The consumption of cannabis by eating it will have only temporary negative effects.
    That's not true at all. THC has been shown to reverse tumor growth. NEVER ONCE has cannabis been connected to lung cancer.

Pot Smoking not Linked to Lung Cancer
    http://www.webmd.com/lung-cancer/new...to-lung-cancer

Marijuana May FIGHT Lung Tumors
    http://www.webmd.com/lung-cancer/new...ht-lung-tumors

There are plenty of studies out there on this topic.

Secondly, high quality cannabis is generally not consumed in nearly the same amounts as tobacco cigarettes.
    Last edited by dannno; 03-26-2011 at 10:37 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by AFPVet View Post
    This ^ Anything smoked puts carbon monoxide and other chemicals into your body.
    So does breathing polluted air, and so does sitting around a campfire. Who gives a $#@!? Our lungs are designed to handle that $#@!, they are designed to clean themselves out. Evolution is awesome. The beauty of high quality cannabis is that you consume very little, probably less debris than you breath in a half hour.

In fact, I don't like smoking cigarettes generally, but sometimes if I'm out drinking with my friends I will get in the mood and have one. The next day my lungs feel like crap. I smoke some herb, and all the crap in my lungs immediately gets coughed up, it is a great expectorant. Some studies I have seen have shown that cannabis helps activate the scilia in our lungs, which are the hairs that help to naturally clean debris. Tobacco, on the other hand, matts down these hairs.

Many people who suffer from asthma use cannabis to help keep their lungs in good shape. It helps relax the bronchials and avoid asthma attacks. I have asthma, and since smoking I now have a higher lung capacity and breath much better.
    Last edited by dannno; 03-25-2011 at 12:09 PM.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

If after hearing that many asthma sufferers find relief from toking cannabis still doesn't convince you that you want to inhale the pure white cheeba smoke, there are always vaporizers and edibles. You don't have to smoke anything to consume cannabis.
    Last edited by dannno; 03-25-2011 at 12:16 PM.

So what else does the video say? Does it talk about how after years, and years, and YEARS of heavy use, studies have shown that cannabis has no negative long-term impact on intellect? Or does it just talk about the imaginary negative effects on your lungs from smoking it? What else does this video say that I need to debunk?

Supporting Member
    Missouri

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    If after hearing that many asthma sufferers find relief from toking cannabis still doesn't convince you that you want to inhale the pure white cheeba smoke, there are always vaporizers and edibles. You don't have to smoke anything to consume cannabis.

I would have never believed it had I not seen it first hand. My ex has terrible asthma, and goes through several inhalers a month, smoking pot helps though, and cuts down his use of his inhaler. Sounds weirdly impossible but its true.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    haha, I knew Danno would take over this thread. Interesting info, Danno, thanks.

There is a lot more to it. Nicotine has severe effects on the cardiovascular system and is a leading cause of strokes and heart disease. Marijuana doesn't. On the other hand, marijuana can have negative effects on people's mental health, and tobacco generally doesn't.

Marijuana is like any other drug in that it has negative side effects that vary depending upon the individual. Just like alcohol and cigarettes.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    On the other hand, marijuana can have negative effects on people's mental health, and tobacco generally doesn't.
    I really don't buy that at all, in fact I am sure it is quite the opposite. Plenty of people with mental conditions including schizophrenia find a lot of relief with cannabis. I don't think we know the cause of schizophrenia yet, but I would guess the cause happens before the onset. I am also sure that cannabis isn't the reason why a person develops schizophrenia. Perhaps cannabis allows people who already have schizophrenia where the symptoms haven't come out yet to begin settle into it more slowly and more comfortably. This would show up as people who smoke cannabis having a tendency to develop the condition slightly earlier, but it doesn't mean that it is actually causing the condition. They very well might show fewer symptoms that happen to occur earlier, and then display fewer symptoms overall.
    Last edited by dannno; 03-25-2011 at 02:42 PM.

I really don't buy that at all, in fact I am sure it is quite the opposite. Plenty of people with mental conditions including schizophrenia find a lot of relief with cannabis. I don't think we know the cause of schizophrenia yet, but I would guess the cause happens before the onset. I am also sure that cannabis isn't the reason why a person develops schizophrenia. Perhaps cannabis allows people who already have schizophrenia where the symptoms haven't come out yet to begin settle into it more slowly and more comfortably. This would show up as people who smoke cannabis having a tendency to develop the condition slightly earlier, but it doesn't mean that it is actually causing the condition. They very well might show fewer symptoms that happen to occur earlier, and then display fewer symptoms overall.
    Huh, dang can't seem to remember what I was going to say! Oh yeah you guys are all fu****. LOL.

Huh, dang can't seem to remember what I was going to say! Oh yeah you guys are all fu****. LOL.
    What exactly are you refuting? I discussed the effects of cannabis on the brain in a previous post, is that the post you meant to respond to, or are you trying to say that cannabis doesn't significantly help those with all sorts of mental conditions?

The fact is there is zero, ZERO long term affect on intellect, even among longterm heavy users. Does it cause short term memory loss? Maybe, it depends on the person and how much they have taken I suppose. But you also have to consider that your inputs are drastically amplified when you are stoned, so while short term memory might not be as large of a part in your experience you have to consider that it may be due to the distraction of the additional amplification of all sorts of inputs that we are constantly experiencing.
    Last edited by dannno; 03-25-2011 at 08:24 PM.

Didnt watch the vid but just know that edibles is the most efficient method of consumption in my experience

It's really a shame I won't be able to watch this video and debunk it until later as I've been researching this stuff and experiencing it myself for over a decade. For now I'll have to stick to debunking comments by other posters.

That's not true at all. THC has been shown to reverse tumor growth. NEVER ONCE has cannabis been connected to lung cancer.

Pot Smoking not Linked to Lung Cancer
    http://www.webmd.com/lung-cancer/new...to-lung-cancer

Marijuana May FIGHT Lung Tumors
    http://www.webmd.com/lung-cancer/new...ht-lung-tumors

There are plenty of studies out there on this topic.

Secondly, high quality cannabis is generally not consumed in nearly the same amounts as tobacco cigarettes.

Yeah i wrote a lot of papers on MJ in college and from my research THC has been shown to inhibit tumor growth.

There are some serious neurological issues that result from Marijuana use. There is a high correlation between marijuana and schizophrenia. I repeat, there is a CORRELATION . That does not, necessarily, mean that there is direct causation. Personally, i do believe that marijuana increases the chances of schizo. Also anytime you have an artificial source triggering the release of massive amounts of endorphins it will deplete your bodys ability to naturally release endorphins and that is certainly an issue.

Those two things i listed are the main issues i have with Marijuana use. Some people mistakenly blame lung issues on Marijuana, and that is unfortunate because smoking ANYTHING will do damage to your lungs. So lets not confuse smoking and marijuana. Let's look at the plant itself when researching the issue.

Putting things in perspective though, i believe that MJ is a much healthier alternative to alcohol, and tobacco use.
    Last edited by trey4sports; 03-25-2011 at 09:05 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What exactly are you refuting? I discussed the effects of cannabis on the brain in a previous post, is that the post you meant to respond to, or are you trying to say that cannabis doesn't significantly help those with all sorts of mental conditions?

The fact is there is zero, ZERO long term affect on intellect, even among longterm heavy users. Does it cause short term memory loss? Maybe, it depends on the person and how much they have taken I suppose. But you also have to consider that your inputs are drastically amplified when you are stoned, so while short term memory might not be as large of a part in your experience you have to consider that it may be due to the distraction of the additional amplification of all sorts of inputs that we are constantly experiencing.
    Ever heard of Cheech and Chong?

Ever heard of Cheech and Chong?
    Those are just fictional characters. But it's funny that you mention them, because the real-life Tommy Chong has actually cleaned up on Celebrity Jeopardy a few times, including once against Anderson Cooper from CNN. Not too shabby.
    Last edited by BuddyRey; 03-25-2011 at 10:00 PM.
    "When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the system's game. The establishment will irritate you - pull your beard, flick your face - to make you fight, because once they've got you violent then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don't know how to handle is non-violence and humor. "

---John Lennon

"I EAT NEOCONS FOR BREAKFAST!!!"

---Me

it can't be worse than vicadin, oxycoton, amphetamines, aderal, and ritalin
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Quote Originally Posted by libertybrewcity View Post
    it can't be worse than vicadin, oxycoton, amphetamines, aderal, and ritalin
    I never said it was bad only that the effects of long term use will most likely prove to be just as damaging as long term tobacco use. Both deposit tars into your lungs and both have an addictive quality about them. One through nicotine and one through THC. While it is true that nicotine is more addictive both can and do cause addiction with long term use. It stands to reason that any substance that is smoked will create deposits of some sort in your lungs. With cannabis there are not enough people that have smoked it exclusively for a long enough period of time to make statistical decisions about it's damage or lack of damage.

I never said it was bad only that the effects of long term use will most likely prove to be just as damaging as long term tobacco use. Both deposit tars into your lungs and both have an addictive quality about them. One through nicotine and one through THC. While it is true that nicotine is more addictive both can and do cause addiction with long term use. It stands to reason that any substance that is smoked will create deposits of some sort in your lungs. With cannabis there are not enough people that have smoked it exclusively for a long enough period of time to make statistical decisions about it's damage or lack of damage.
    Smoking anything is bad for you. Even if you are exposed to smog in your daily life, would you want to huff your car's exhaust pipe? No. Why introduce additional compounds into your body?

Conversely, I believe that THC is an excellent medication for some aliments; however, this can be ingested rather than smoked.
    Last edited by AFPVet; 03-26-2011 at 11:49 AM.

This video, if you believe it, takes all the pro-marijuana arguments and rips them apart.

I don't believe it. If all these statistics were true pro-prohibition supporters would be all over this. How could anybody argue cigarettes are safer than marijuana? It's absolutely ridiculous! THC is not cancer-causing, the overdose argument is an atrocity who can possibly smoke that much?

Also, how much marijuana does the "10% addicted" user use? And is 1/10 of marijuana users become addicted, what is that statistic for alcohol drinkers? And if the video compares alcohol withdrawal symptoms and marijuana withdrawal symptoms shouldn't they both be considered legal?

And what percent of fast-food eaters, if they attempted to ween off McDonalds, would suffer withdrawal-esque symptoms for "2-4 days"? Everybody craves something, everything can be considered addicting, the argument is insane.

What studies are people more successful in quitting cigarettes then alcohol? Does anybody have this study he speaks of

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Next:

Marijuana more dangerous than cigarettes? One study found this, 1% increase in marijuana contributing to lung cancer over cigaretts? This is not filtered, smoking of marijuana that comes from the smoking itself and not the THC. And a cigarette user smokes much more cigarettes than a marijuana user smokes blunts/joints in a day so I find this study completely off

lol, that video just said you could overdose on THC. bahahah

I wonder if THC curing cancer would make him throw out his video?
    We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false. -- William Casey, CIA Director

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.-- Mark Twain

When people like us-- the scum of society-- don't risk our lives when a rare chance comes our way, we become losers at that moment. So courage is the only thing we can rely on.-- Anchan
    Rick Simpson Hemp Oil

no reason to smoke it ,just eat it. On the eating effects some call them negative but a strong 99% call them positive. There is nothing negative from eating marijuana except maybe wanting some cheetos an hr later!!!!!!! the only negative thing about marijuana is 75 yrs of lies and BS LAWS against it!!!! NO NEED TO SMOKE Marijuana will these folks get it thru hard heads!!!!! geeez
    2016 gop est business as usual, rules do not apply.

The positive effects of cannabis far outweight the negatives.

Cannabis has shown to have beneficial effects in the treatment of nausea, vomiting, premenstrual syndrome, insomnia, lack of appetite, spasticity, asthma, glaucoma, neurogenic pain, multiple sclerosis, spinal cord injures, and so many other conditions that I don't feel like naming. As someone has already mentioned, Cannabis is an expectorant, as it dilates the airways of your lungs. I am a prime example for this because whenever I smoke a joint I can breathe much easier and it feels like I'm using a nebulizer or an inhaler.

But even if cannabis is bad for you, which its not, what right does the government have to control what we put into our bodies as long as we're not harming anyone else?

Some studies I have seen have shown that cannabis helps activate the scilia in our lungs, which are the hairs that help to naturally clean debris. Tobacco, on the other hand, matts down these hairs.
    Tobacco destroys the scilia.
    Maxed out to ALL of Ron Paul's campaigns.

Listen to Liberty Tree Radio! ::

Pro-Liberty, Pro-Gun, Pro-Militia Radio 5 days a week, 10 LIVE HRS TALK RADIO PER DAY!

http://www.libertytreeradio.4mg.com

http://www.themicroeffect.com (8A - 11A EST daily)

http://www.live365.com/stations/edtheak47 (3 PM- 9 PM EST daily)

Organize, Arm, Equip, and Train as a Militia !

Quote Originally Posted by speciallyblend View Post
    no reason to smoke it, just eat it. On the eating effects some call them negative but a strong 99% call them positive. There is nothing negative from eating marijuana except maybe wanting some Cheetos an hr later!!!!!!! the only negative thing about marijuana is 75 yrs of lies and BS LAWS against it!!!! NO NEED TO SMOKE Marijuana will these folks get it through their hard heads!!!!! geeez
    Exactly!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast