Thread: Will Rand force a vote on a declaration of war in Libya?

Will Rand force a vote on a declaration of war in Libya?

I recall that Rand put forth a promise on his website to force a congressional vote on a declaration of war in the event that the president attempted to launch another military occupation. Now, Congress was out of session as our gentle Nobel-peace-laureate head of state lately went abroad in search of monsters to destroy, but may we expect Dr. Paul to make good on that promise when next the floor be opened? I would surely relish the chance to see the great mass of Congress wriggle and squirm upon finding themselves at last unable to punt responsibility for another bloodbath...
    Last edited by MaxPower; 03-20-2011 at 12:36 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Can Rand force a vote on declaration of war? Or can Reid prevent that from ever being a vote

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo23 View Post
    Can Rand force a vote on declaration of war? Or can Reid prevent that from ever being a vote
    This is something I, too, have wondered about; I am fairly well-versed in the major national-policy provisions of the Constitution, such as the Bill of Rights and enumerated powers, but will admit I don't have any deep understanding of the congressional floor rules. However, I was under the impression that Senators had the ability to force roll-call votes on these matters in a way that mere Representatives could not, which was one notable advantage of getting Rand into the Senate, and the reason why he was making such a promise where, say, his father could not.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
    I don't have any deep understanding of the congressional floor rules.
    Few people do.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Rand said:
    "Had I been a US Senator at the time of the Afghan or Iraq war, I would've demanded a vote on the declaration of war"

Regarding both Iraq and Afghanistan he also said:
    "I would've fought for a [vote on] a declaration of war"

Last edited by Matt Collins; 03-20-2011 at 01:32 AM.
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

He will if he gets a chance. Go to the thread with the video of Rand's press conference on his five year budget plan; the VERY LAST question a reporter asks is about the White House going for a no fly zone in Libya. It is at the very end of the video, and completely off topic. Not only did he not refuse to take it, he said we are already in two wars and don't need another; he hopes we aren't going for that (this was the day the UN was voting on the resolution), and that it needed to be brought to the Senate and House for discussion and determination.

It has to be IN the Senate before he can push a declaration of war, of course....

Here, go to the very end, and remember this was before the UN approved the resolution, but on the same day.

And he twists the GOP establishent line on 'radical Islamics' to work as an argument against going in. How do we know the rebels aren't exactly what people least want in power? We know nothing about them.
    Last edited by sailingaway; 03-20-2011 at 10:17 AM.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear. -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Nice catch on that Veterans for peace rally

I am so ready to rally around Rand if he goes on a "crusade" against the war monger in-chief in office

Quote Originally Posted by vita3 View Post
    I am so ready to rally around Rand if he goes on a "crusade" against the war monger in-chief in office
    Imagine how confused the DailyKos-crowd liberals would be to see the man they've spent almost a year reviling as the great Satan upbraiding their messiah for being too warlike. What would Rachel Maddow say?

Imagine how confused the DailyKos-crowd liberals would be to see the man they've spent almost a year reviling as the great Satan upbraiding their messiah for being too warlike. What would Rachel Maddow say?

Heads will explode...

I could care less about any liberal reaction or conservative. i just want the truth being told about these wars & shut 'em down.

Here's George Galloway linking the obvious: Western Oil Interests w/ bombing Libya

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk2u-...layer_embedded

I guess Rand is doing nothing in protests, in regards to to the United States Bombing a soverign Nation in Africa, for the past three days.

It's fine. Becuz it wuz a genocide, so O-bomb-a needz to save the worldz.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    It's fine. Becuz it wuz a genocide, so O-bomb-a needz to save the worldz.
    And cuz ya know he didn't act like a cowboy when doing it.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Surely you wouldn't disagree w/ Rachel. You must hate Libyan children.

I guess Rand is doing nothing in protests, in regards to to the United States Bombing a soverign Nation in Africa, for the past three days.
    Honestly, I think you are reading him wrong. I really think the reason his announcements went from a laughing, 'I'm not running for anything' tag on a press release about his going to Iowa and New Hampshire, to a 'The only decision I've made is that I won't run against my Dad', is that he was pissed by Libya and the Federal Reserve IMF actions last week. He won't stand on a corner with a megaphone leading chants because he has more effective means of getting much more attention available.... by running for office or supporting his Dad to do so.

However, he is being widely quoted as part of the Congressional opposition to Libya and to the president going in without Congressional authority.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear. -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Give it some time. Rand knows what he is doing.

Don't hold your breath.