Thread: Need free (legal) and good music for Youtube videos? Free Market to the Rescue!

Need free (legal) and good music for Youtube videos? Free Market to the Rescue!

As we all know, YouTube/Google corporate interests have made it a royal pain in the arse to have a video with decent music anymore. Music, however, is one of the most, if not THE most important aspect of your video presentation to many people. Rather than bowing your head in defeat and only using the overplayed crap given the YouTube/Google blessing, let me introduce you to Jason McLeod and Incompetech.com

http://incompetech.com/m/c/royalty-free/

P.S.- His music is quite good, I am listening to it as I type... it's that good.

Here's a quote from his FAQ, sounds almost like a post on RPF i read a while ago. Can't remember the name of the poster though, sorry.
    Why do you alllow people to use your music and don't charge for it?
    There are many reasons. The cost for me to share music is low, and the benefits are high. There are a lot of schools with no money, and plenty of film makers who want to have music - but can't afford to clear copyrights from the existing systems that are set up. I believe that copyright is badly broken , so I chose a license that allows me to to give away the rights I wish to surrender. We really have no hope of overturning the existing copyright situation, but we can and are creating an alternate body of works that are able to compete with them. In time, I hope that Creative Commons (and similar alternatives to standard copyright) will be common and successful enough to be the dominant choice for artists' new creative works. If you hold tightly to your creative works, they become impossible to share. If your art isn't experienced by people, it serves no purpose in society.
    Here's my favorite piece I've found so far, after listening to 3 or 4 songs. It's called "Truth of the Legend" and a few YouTube videos have used it already. Here's one involving guns. Maybe a little overly-epic sounding for a couple guys shooting jugs off of boards? (the music starts at 1:26)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9Kt7pOpXsg

Oh, and he want's feedback on how to improve his latest composition: http://incompetech.com/tmp/C.mp3

If you want to download any or all of his music for your own uses, go to www.incompetech.com. And if you use some of his music in a successful video consider sending him a donation as a thank-you.
    "Truth will win in the end. We just don't know when the end is. So we have to persevere." ― Carol Paul

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'd like to point out that, very likely, Google/YouTube doesn't give a crap what music you use in your videos; that said, they've probably received a ton of pressure from the RIAA (Retarded Idiot And $#@!s) that if they don't use filters X, Y, and Z to detect their music or if they don't actively take down videos with certain musical content, they'll be sued as well for being "complicit" in it.

I could be wrong, but I'm willing to bet that if they didn't have to worry about getting sued, they'd be fairly agnostic about musical content.

Well that's kind of what I meant by "corporate interests", i.e. not getting in legal trouble. Not that I think Google is a wonderful cuddly corporation that actually follows their "Don't be Evil" motto at all anymore, lol. They're starting to really irritate me with their requirements that you must link a Google/Gmail account to your YouTube account now, so that they can gather more information on you.
    "Truth will win in the end. We just don't know when the end is. So we have to persevere." ― Carol Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Expatriate View Post
    Well that's kind of what I meant by "corporate interests", i.e. not getting in legal trouble. Not that I think Google is a wonderful cuddly corporation that actually follows their "Don't be Evil" motto at all anymore, lol. They're starting to really irritate me with their requirements that you must link a Google/Gmail account to your YouTube account now, so that they can gather more information on you.
    While I do agree with you that they aren't as good as they once were...at the same time too, we have to keep in mind they're a giant advertising company, so....if they can better tailor ads to you, it increases their profits--which goes towards funding YouTube (keeping it free to use...all that storage and bandwidth aren't cheap, believe me), and goes towards other projects--I'm really not surprised, at all, that they axed YouTube accounts in favor of a Google Account, at all.

In any event, this is the thing that's pissed me off about Google: http://solveclimatenews.com/news/201...ence-new-media

Eh, their money.