Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Have a Happy St. Patrick's Day tomorrow!

Last edited by TER; 03-15-2015 at 08:18 PM.
    +
    'These things I command you, that you love one another.' - Jesus Christ

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I explained St. Patrick's day to one of my son's this way. St. Patrick was a wonderful man who brought Christianity to Ireland and people celebrate his life by getting drunk.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Ummm...tomorrow is St. Patricks Day but I guess it's never too early to start drinking.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    What a bunch of fanciful garbage.
    Sure. It was probably embellished a bit. But sounds like he was a real man and a dynamic preacher.

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Ummm...tomorrow is St. Patricks Day but I guess it's never too early to start drinking.
    lol, I didn't realize that till I came to work today as the only one wearing green!
    +

Neeeeeeever! Lol Here's to you Suz--

Quote Originally Posted by TER View Post
    lol, I didn't realize that till I came to work today as the only one wearing green!
    Lol--Never too early to celebrate St. Pat's Day. Me too--

LOL, you rebel. It appears the shenanigans have officially started for Ter.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry1 View Post
    Neeeeeeever! Lol Here's to you Suz--
    Cheers, Terry! Hope ya get lucky!

Believe or not, it's still a little early for me. I think I'm going to pick up some Irish Whiskey today, that will pair nicely with the bad decisions and shenanigans I have planned for later.

Fun book on how the Irish preserved records and traveled throughout Europe. during the Dark Ages, looking for and archiving religious and historical writings that were being destroyed. Much of this is credited to St. Patrick because he was the main person responsible for moving the Irish into a literate and educated people.

How the Irish Saved Civilization

PREVIEW

The perfect St. Patrick's Day gift, and a book in the best tradition of popular history—the untold story of Ireland's role in maintaining Western culture while the Dark Ages settled on Europe.

Every year millions of Americans celebrate St. Patrick's Day, but they may not be aware of how great an influence St. Patrick was on the subsequent history of civilization. Not only did he bring Christianity to Ireland, he instilled a sense of literacy and learning that would create the conditions that allowed Ireland to become "the isle of saints and scholars"—and thus preserve Western culture while Europe was being overrun by barbarians.

In this entertaining and compelling narrative, Thomas Cahill tells the story of how Europe evolved from the classical age of Rome to the medieval era. Without Ireland, the transition could not have taken place. Not only did Irish monks and scribes maintain the very record of Western civilization—copying manuscripts of Greek and Latin writers, both pagan and Christian, while libraries and learning on the continent were forever lost—they brought their uniquely Irish world-view to the task.

As Cahill delightfully illustrates, so much of the liveliness we associate with medieval culture has its roots in Ireland. When the seeds of culture were replanted on the European continent, it was from Ireland that they were germinated.

In the tradition of Barbara Tuchman's A Distant Mirror, How The Irish Saved Civilization reconstructs an era that few know about but which is central to understanding our past and our cultural heritage. But it conveys its knowledge with a winking wit that aptly captures the sensibility of the unsung Irish who relaunched civilization.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    I explained St. Patrick's day to one of my son's this way. St. Patrick was a wonderful man who brought Christianity to Ireland and people celebrate his life by getting drunk.
    St. Patrick's day is always during Lent. It's my understanding that the Irish were given special dispensation to break the fast for the Feast of St. Patrick.
    Thus, the revelry.

Also, hence the corned beef.
    Though the origins of that are a bit more obscure.
    They ate meat on St. Patrick's to break the fast - but the corned beef is probably because during British colonialism, "Bully Beef" for military rations was produced in Ireland.
    Bully beef (bouille beef, for "boiled") is treated with saltpeter and apparently resembles corned beef, a lot. My personal theory is that the Irish who came over to the US were leaving a situation where they were keeping cattle that were getting processed into rations to support the soldiers who were oppressing them... and when they came over here they must have thought "You mean, I can actually eat this stuff I've spent my whole life producing and not having?"
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    LOL, you rebel. It appears the shenanigans have officially started for Ter.

Cheers, Terry! Hope ya get lucky!

Believe or not, it's still a little early for me. I think I'm going to pick up some Irish Whiskey today, that will pair nicely with the bad decisions and shenanigans I have planned for later.
    At my age--getting lucky usually means a week of rest, ice packs and Ibuprofen afterwards.

Wish I had a pic of that pile of frozen pink puke in my driveway after a Christmas party. Prettiest puke I ever barfed. This is what happens when you mix red wine with Goldshlager.
    Last edited by Terry1; 03-16-2015 at 09:10 AM.

Reclaiming St. Patrick for Christ

Posted on March 17, 2015 by Fr. Ted

St. Patrick of Ireland (d. 461AD) has the unfortunate fate of having his name and feast day (March 17) associated with drunkenness rather than with godliness.

St. Gregory Palamas (d. 1359AD) mentions that such sad displays of converting saint’s feasts into the feasts of sinners was already common in his day among Orthodox people.

When on the feasts commemorating the saints we all take a holiday from our trades and businesses, we should occupy our minds with the question of how we can distance ourselves from the sins and defilements into which each of us has fallen, and become free of them. On the other hand, if we amuse ourselves to the detriment of our souls, pay no attention and get drunk, how can we claim to be celebrating the saints, since we have made the day impure? I beg you, brethren, let us not keep the feasts like that, but let us, like the saints, present our bodies and souls as a pleasing offering to God on these days of celebration, that by the prayers of the saints we may come to share in that endless festival and joy. (On the Saints: Sermons, Kindle Location 1231-1235)

While we may not be able to change what the world has done to St. Patrick’s reputation, we can honor the blessed saint as St. Gregory Palamas suggests – in our hearts and homes, we can use the day to turn to God even while living in a world that attempts to turn us away from God. This is a day for us to practice sobriety in all things.
    +

The Hymn of Fiacc is one of the few accepted primary sources for the life of St. Patrick other than his own writings. Although its exact date of composition is disputed, there is no question that it is extremely ancient, a document of the Irish Church before the Viking invasions.

Born about 415 AD, Saint Fiacc was trained as a bard. St. Patrick consecrated him bishop of Leinster, and Fiacc founded the church of Domnach-Fiech. After many years of austere life in this place, Fiacc was led by angelic command to move west of the Barrow, for there “he would find the place of his resurrection”. Here while built a large monastery, which he ruled as abbot while at the same time he governed the surrounding country as bishop. He reposed at a great old age about 520 AD. Saint Fiacc is commemorated on October 12.

This anonymous translation from the Old Irish was originally published in “The Ecclesiastical Record”, March 1868:

Patrick was born at Emptur:
    This it is that history relates to us.
    A child of sixteen years was he
    When he was taken into bondage.

Succat was his name, it is said.
    Who was his father is thus told:
    He was son of Calpurn, son of Otidus,
    Grandson of Deochain Odissus.

He was six years in slavery;
    Human food he ate it not.
    Cothraige he was called,
    For as slave he served four families.

Victor said to Milcho’s slave:
    “Go thou over the sea:”
    He placed his foot upon the stone:
    Its trace remains, it wears not away.

He sent him across all the Alps;
    Over the sea marvellous was his course,
    Until he stayed with Germanus in the south,
    In southern Letha.

In the islands of the Tyrrhene Sea he stayed;
    Therein he meditated:
    He read the canon with Germanus:
    It is this that history relates.

To Ireland he was brought back
    In visions by the angels of God:
    Often was he in vision
    Solicited to return thither again.

Salvation to Ireland
    Was the coming of Patrick to Fochlaidh;
    Afar was heard the sound
    Of the call of the youths of Caill-Fochladh.

They prayed that the saint would come,
    That he would return from Letha,
    To convert the people of Erin
    From error to life.

The Tuatha of Erin were prophesying
    That a new kingdom of faith would come,
    That it would last for evermore:
    The land of Tara would be waste and silent.

The druids of Loegaire concealed not from him
    The coming of Patrick;
    Their prophecy was verified
    As to the kingdom of which they spoke.

Patrick walked in piety till his death:
    He was powerful in the uprooting of sin:
    He raised his hands in blessing
    Upon the tribes of men.

Hymns, and the Apocalypse, and the thrice fifty [psalms]
    He was wont to sing;
    He preached, baptized and prayed;
    From the praise of God he ceased not.

The cold of the weather deterred him not
    From passing the night in ponds:
    By heaven his kingdom was protected;
    He preached by day on the hills.

In Slan, in the territory of Benna-Bairche,
    Hunger or thirst possessed him not.
    Each night he sang a hundred psalms,
    To adore the King of angels.

He slept on a bare stone,
    And a wet sack-cloth around him;
    A bare rock was his pillow;
    He allowed not his body to be in warmth.

He preached the Gospel to all;
    He wrought great miracles in Letha;
    He healed the lame and the lepers;
    The dead he restored to life.

Patrick preached to the Scoti:
    He endured great toil in Letha:
    With him will come to judgment
    Everyone whom he brought to the life of Faith.

The sons of Emer, the sons of Eremon,
    All went to Cisal,
    To the abode of Satan;
    They were swallowed up in the deep abyss,

Until the apostle came to them:
    He came despite the raging tempests:
    He preached, for three-score years,
    The cross of Christ to the tribes of Feni.

On the land of Erin there was darkness;
    The Tuatha adored the sidhe
    They believed not
    In the true Deity of the true Trinity.

In Armagh there is sovereignty;
    It is long since Emain passed away;
    A great church is Dun-Lethglasse;
    I wish not that Tara should be a desert.

Patrick, when he was in sickness,
    Desired to go to Armagh:
    An angel went to meet him on the road
    In the middle of the day.

Patrick came southwards towards Victor;
    He it was that went to meet him;
    The bush in which Victor was, was in a blaze;
    From the flame the angel spoke.

He said: Thy dignity shall be at Armagh.
    Return thanks to Christ;
    To heaven thou shalt come;
    Thy prayer is granted thee.

The hymn which thou chosest in life
    Shall be breastplate of protection to all.
    Around thee on the Day of Judgment
    The men of Erin will come for judgment.

Tassach remaineth after him in Sabhall,
    Having given the communion to him:
    He said that Patrick would return:
    The word of Tassach was not false.

Patrick put an end to night;
    Light ceased not with him:
    To a years’ end there was radiance;
    It was a long day of peace.

At the battle fought around Beth-horon
    Against the Canaanites by the son of Nun,
    The sun stood still at Gaboan;
    This it is that the Scripture tells us.

The sun lasted with Joshua unto the death of the wicked:
    This indeed was befitting;
    It was more befitting that there should be radiance
    At the death of the saints.

The clergy of Erin went from every part
    To watch around Patrick;
    The sound of harmony fell upon them,
    So that they slept enchanted on the way.

Patrick’s body from his soul
    Was severed after pains;
    The angels of God on the first night
    Kept choir around it unceasingly.

When Patrick departed from life
    He went to visit the other Patrick;
    Together they ascended
    To Jesus, Son of Mary.

Patrick, without arrogance or pride,
    Great was the good which he proposed to himself,
    To be in the service of Mary’s Son;
    Happy the hour in which Patrick was born.
    +

Eagles' Wings

Reclaiming St. Patrick for Christ

Posted on March 17, 2015 by Fr. Ted

St. Patrick of Ireland (d. 461AD) has the unfortunate fate of having his name and feast day (March 17) associated with drunkenness rather than with godliness.

St. Gregory Palamas (d. 1359AD) mentions that such sad displays of converting saint’s feasts into the feasts of sinners was already common in his day among Orthodox people.

When on the feasts commemorating the saints we all take a holiday from our trades and businesses, we should occupy our minds with the question of how we can distance ourselves from the sins and defilements into which each of us has fallen, and become free of them. On the other hand, if we amuse ourselves to the detriment of our souls, pay no attention and get drunk, how can we claim to be celebrating the saints, since we have made the day impure? I beg you, brethren, let us not keep the feasts like that, but let us, like the saints, present our bodies and souls as a pleasing offering to God on these days of celebration, that by the prayers of the saints we may come to share in that endless festival and joy. (On the Saints: Sermons, Kindle Location 1231-1235)

While we may not be able to change what the world has done to St. Patrick’s reputation, we can honor the blessed saint as St. Gregory Palamas suggests – in our hearts and homes, we can use the day to turn to God even while living in a world that attempts to turn us away from God. This is a day for us to practice sobriety in all things.
    Glad you brought this back to sobriety, TER.

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    The difference is, the Catholic Church has a central authority for doctrine, leadership, crime cover up and collecting money.
    Other churches have that too.

So by being a member of the church, your money goes towards that. A bit like how being a law abiding American means you pay taxes to fund evil wars.
    It's nothing like it. You can belong to a Catholic church and never give a dime. You can't do that as a working American.

This is not the case for Protestant churches.
    You can be in these churches and never give a dime. Or, you can give a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

The Confession of Saint Patrick

St. Patrick is a patron saint of Ireland. Although many details of his life are shrouded in mystery and legend, it is clear that St. Patrick had a profound impact upon the people of Ireland. The Confessions of St. Patrick is the brief story of St. Patrick's life, told through his own eyes. The work provides an intriguing glance into one of history's best-known saints. The Confessions of St. Patrick is similar to St. Augustine's Confessions -- they are more theological in nature than autobiographical. Scholars have speculated that St. Patrick penned this work in defense of his good name, after having his character attacked by people in power. Regardless, it provides a stirring account of the miraculous ways that God works, and encourages believers into a life of courage and holiness.

Historians believe that St. Patrick's missionary career in Ireland took place in the 5th Century, though they are uncertain of the date of his birth. Born in Britain (373 AD), Patrick was kidnapped into slavery at the age of sixteen to serve as a herdsman in Ireland for six years. During the second half of the 4th century, when Roman power was in decline in Italy and Britain, Irish raiding expeditions were common along the west coast of Britain, and unconverted Patrick was seized by such raiders. In a dream, he heard that the ship in which he was to make his escape was ready, so he fled his master and found his way back to Britain. A dream came to Patrick after he had escaped from Ireland and returned to Britain. One Victoricus appeared to Patrick, delivering him a letter titled, "The Voice of the Hibernians". Hibernia is the Latin name for the island of Ireland. As Patrick read the letter, he seemed to hear a company of Irish beseeching him to return to Ireland. Though Patrick doubted his fitness and educational preparation for such a task, he entered his missionary task to the Irish people (405 AD) with the zeal of an Apostle Paul. He met with great success in Ulster and Tara, though he faced the continual threat of martyrdom at the hands of the pagans and Druids. His success with the Irish was matched by his trouble with his ecclesiastical superiors in Britain; but through it all, he humbly promoted the "Gospel of the Grace of God" (Acts 20:24). He reposed in peace in 461.

The Confession

By St. Patrick, Enlightener of Ireland

1. I, Patrick, a sinner, a most simple countryman, the least of all the faithful and most contemptible to many, had for father the deacon Calpurnius, son of the late Potitus, a priest, of the settlement [vicus] of Bannavem Taburniae; he had a small villa nearby where I was taken captive. I was at that time about sixteen years of age. I did not, indeed, know the true God; and I was taken into captivity in Ireland with many thousands of people, according to our deserts, for quite drawn away from God, we did not keep his precepts, nor were we obedient to our priests who used to remind us of our salvation. And the Lord brought down on us the fury of his being and scattered us among many nations, even to the ends of the earth, where I, in my smallness, am now to be found among foreigners...

read the rest here...
    +

Happy St. Patrick's Day TER..

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Happy Saint Patrick's day everybody!
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Happy St Patrick's Day!

Always found this book to be very interesting:

http://thomascahill.com/books/how-th...ivilization-tr
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Happy St Patrick's Day!

Always found this book to be very interesting:

http://thomascahill.com/books/how-th...ivilization-tr
    +rep ~hugs~ Happy St Patrick's Day, y'all! ~hugs everyone~
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

w00t!
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Irish music...

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123