Thread: Ron Paul, Jeff Flake, Mike Pence + 7 others Vote Nay on Pi Day Bill

Ron Paul, Jeff Flake, Mike Pence + 7 others Vote Nay on Pi Day Bill

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/sh...st-pi-day.html

It's official! The US House of Representatives has recognised 14 March as Pi Day. Get it? 3/14. The ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter is roughly 3.14...That Pi Day.

My first thought was, "Sweet, another day off from work," until I realised that Pi Day falls on a Saturday this year.

Then I discovered that House Resolution 224 does not create a federal holiday, it merely "supports the designation of a 'Pi Day' and its celebration around the world" and "encourages schools and educators to observe the day with appropriate activities that teach students about Pi and engage them about the study of mathematics."

Unless a committee member snuck in a three-day weekend clause into the bill, like so many earmarks, I'm out of luck.

Even without a day off, the resolution passed overwhelmingly, 391-10. My first question was, who the heck voted against Pi Day? Is there an old-school Pythagorean caucus in Congress that sees numbers that can't be expressed as a whole number or the ratio of two whole numbers as a threat to national security? Perhaps.

Then a colleague reminded me that in 1897 the Indiana state legislature tried passing a bill declaring Pi as 3.2. I couldn't find a competing resolution declaring 2 March as Pi day, nor 3 February.

Twitter, the source of everything you need to know in 140 characters or less, proved more helpful. Thanks to a tip from a Congressional staffer, I found the feed of Utah Congressman Jason Chaffetz, AKA jasoninthehouse.

His latest tweet, as of 5:05 PM ET on Thursday, reads: "I cannot support Pi Day as just one day. It should go on forever. I voted "Nay." It passed 391-10."

Chaffetz previously tweeted his support for H.R. 224 yesterday afternoon: "Actually going to vote on supporting "Pi Day". Yes, as in 3.14. I have nothing against Pi, but hard to believe we have to vote on this."

Sounds like a flip-flop to me.

The other members voting Nay include: Jeff Flake, Republican from Arizona; Dean Heller, Republican from Montana; Timothy Johnson, Republican from Illinois; Jeff Miller, Republican from Florida; Randy Neugebauer, Republican from Texas; Ron Paul, a former presidential candidate and Republican from Texas; Ted Poe, another GOP member; Bill Shuster, a Republican from Pennsylvania; and last but most certainly not least, Mike Pence, a Republican from Indiana.

If any of these politicians represent your home district, please let them know how you feel about their snub of Pi Day. You can find your Congressman's phone number or e-mail address by looking them up here.

One of my friends who I've been trying to convert to Ron for a while told me about this today. I told him it's most likely a worthless bill that just wastes thousands of taxpayer dollars, but I can't find a source for how much it would cost. Does anyone know?

When Ron, Flake and Pence all vote no on this, you know it's not worth voting for.
    The Heart of Conservatism is Libertarianism - Ronald Reagan

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I can no longer support Dr. Paul.

i love pie.....
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Quote Originally Posted by MRoCkEd View Post
    LOL! Yeah I'm off the wagon too. He's unamerican!

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...24&tab=summary

H. Res. 224: Supporting the designation of Pi Day, and for other purposes

3/12/2009--Passed House without amendment. (This measure has not been amended since it was introduced. The summary of that version is repeated here.)

Supports the designation of a Pi Day and its celebration around the world.

Recognizes the continuing importance of National Science Foundation math and science education programs.

Encourages schools and educators to observe the day with appropriate activities that teach students about Pi and engage them about the study of mathematics.
    He probably didn't want to vote in favor of recognizing "the continued importance" of an unconstitutional federal agency, or federal interference (even if it's just 'encouragement') into local schools.

So Amash voted for this?

And how does Congress find time for this bull$#@!? Aren't they "hard at work tackling the nation's problems"?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    So Amash voted for this?
    He may not have voted. Only 401 reps voted.
    Thousands of men and women have come and gone here in our country's history, and except for the few, most go unnoticed and remain nameless in the pages of history, as I am sure I will be. -Ron Paul (1984)

So Amash voted for this?
    No. He wasn't in Congress at the time. This vote was 2 years ago.
    I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. -Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Aldanga View Post
    No. He wasn't in Congress at the time. This vote was 2 years ago.
    Ah right, the article is from 12 March 2009.

Ah right, the article is from 12 March 2009.
    Hmm?? That's weird. My friend told me about this today, so I assumed this was very recently and didn't check the date on the article.
    The Heart of Conservatism is Libertarianism - Ronald Reagan

3.14159!!

Cosine, secant, tangent, sine!!!!
    sigh....

Well, we don't need an official day for it......
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Quote Originally Posted by MRoCkEd View Post
    I completely agree. I agree with Dr. Paul on foreign policy, the Federal Reserve, and pretty much everything else, but this is absolute insanity that he would oppose this. I am going tomorrow to change my registration to Democratic so I can vote for Obama, who is a well-known pie supporter.

That bill is from two years ago.
    "That's one thing about freedom; you have to tolerate the nonsense too." - Ron Paul

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Where's the pi?

Rand Paul for Peace

Congress should have waited until March 14, 2015, to declare Pi Day an official holiday, because then it would be a more accurate representation of Pi on that date--3/14/15.
    "Then David said to the Philistine, 'You come to me with a sword, a spear, and a javelin, but I come to you in the name of Yahweh of hosts, the God of the battle lines of Israel, Whom you have reproached.'" - 1 Samuel 17:45

"May future generations look back on our work and say that these were men and women who, in moment of great crisis, stood up to their politicians, the opinion-makers, and the Establishment, and saved their country." - Dr. Ron Paul

Ron didn't support this because it mandates what must be taught to students on 3/14. Last time I checked, Ron doesn't support the federal government having ANYTHING to do with education. This is what you need to tell your buddy.

So Amash voted for this?

And how does Congress find time for this bull$#@!? Aren't they "hard at work tackling the nation's problems"?
    lolz! If you believe they're busy doing that, I have some seaside property in Tuscon to sell you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Pi is lame because it is the ratio of the circumference to the diameter. I don't know about you guys but Im almost always instead looking for the ratio of the circumference to the radius, which is Tau (~6.28). It goes straight to the point because you need the radius for most equations anyway.

Thank you Paul and others for not supporting this tomfoolery. Congress fiddled while the economy burned.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theocrat View Post
    Congress should have waited until March 14, 2015, to declare Pi Day an official holiday, because then it would be a more accurate representation of Pi on that date--3/14/15.
    In keeping with high quality government standards they could never select the most logical day :P

How many manhours were wasted drafting, presenting and voting on this? Someone call the Waste Fraud and Abuse Hotline!

http://www.gao.gov/fraudnet/fraudnet.htm
    Insanity should be defined as trusting the government to solve a problem they caused in the first place. Please do not go insane!