Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No Reports of Looting in Japan After Disaster

No Reports of Looting in Japan After Disaster

Orderly disaster reaction in line with deep cultural roots

CNN
    March 12th, 2011

The layer of human turmoil - looting and scuffles for food or services - that often comes in the wake of disaster seems noticeably absent in Japan.

“Looting simply does not take place in Japan. I’m not even sure if there’s a word for it that is as clear in its implications as when we hear ‘looting,’" said Gregory Pflugfelder, director of the Donald Keene Center of Japanese Culture at Columbia University.

Japanese have “a sense of being first and foremost responsible to the community,” he said.

To Merry White, an anthropology professor at Boston University who studies Japanese culture , the real question is why looting and disorder exist in American society. She attributes it largely to social alienation and class gaps.

Full Story:
    http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/12...ultural-roots/
    ----

Ron Paul Forum's Mission Statement:

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Japanese society is more moral than other societies.

Its only 2 days after the disaster, not saying it would get worse after 4-5 days. But looting usually starts when theres food shortage but if the Japanese grocers decided to give away their foods instead of selling it to the highest bidders then theres not going to be any looting in a million years.

Of course not, this is JAPAN.

My Dad told me he was told by returning WWII GIs when he was a boy how in Japan people shared their most prized possession by placing it out on a wall, etc. for all who passed by to enjoy. The GI's didn't know what this was and thought if the stuff was sitting by the road it wasn't important to anyone and pilfered it, widely. Dad always felt the US was absolutely justified about Hiroshima, etc, because of Pearl Harbor, but he grew up completely ashamed of our army of occupation.
    Last edited by sailingaway; 03-12-2011 at 08:24 PM.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

I remember hearing something several years ago along the lines of Japan having the lowest number of shoplifting and robbery cases in the entire developed world. People from that country have a good sense of responsibility that shows through in their math and science performance, efficient labor force, and likely their notable longevity.

A larger portion of people from this country, on the other hand, tend to feel that they're "entitled" and "victims" and act accordingly by stealing, demanding welfare and government benefits, and general laziness.
    Last edited by kah13176; 03-12-2011 at 09:10 PM.
    "It is not enough these days to simply question authority. You must speak with it, too."
    -Taylor Mali

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."
    -Samuel Adams

It's the culture. If someone drops something, it may stay in the same spot for weeks since we figure someone will retrace their steps to find it. Local station showing people teaming up to make wooden sidewalks over large puddles, and schools serving for shelter. Oh, there's a woman with her shih tzu in her jacket. People are all lined up at water buffaloes (woater tanks) to get water. They are also giving gasoline where needed. The phone companies have been providing free service as people look for relatives. There have been a few stories about families reuniting tearfully.

What else do you expect from one thousand plus years of feudalism?

As much as they can be merited at being an orderly society, Japanese society is also very much anti-individualist and puts the needs of the many always before the needs of the few.. There's a reason why Japan also has the highest suicide rate in the industrialized world.

Edit: At least they are not mass killing Koreans, like in 1923..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1923_Gr...nic_minorities
    Last edited by Vessol; 03-13-2011 at 02:22 AM.
    "Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."-Étienne de La Boétie

Doesn't surprise me at all. There is nothing wrong with thinking about others before thinking about yourself.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Japan to deploy 100,000 troops on quake aid

March 13, 2011

http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/201...-on-quake-aid/
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Japan crisis 'worst since WWII'
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12726589

No panic, no looting - life in a tsunami-hit Japanese city
    http://www.sify.com/news/no-panic-no...ns4fgeicj.html

'No food or water, but Miyagi residents not panicking'
    http://www.dailypioneer.com/324147/N...panicking.html

Pretty amazing.
    Last edited by FrankRep; 03-13-2011 at 10:37 AM.
    ----

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

Supporting Member
    North Carolina

Edited for the hyper-sensitive race nannies on the forum just waiting to cry racist.
    Last edited by Southron; 03-13-2011 at 03:17 PM.
    Equality is a false god.

Armatissimi e Liberissimi

Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
    Perhaps some of it is due to the fact that Japan has a low percentage of minority ethnic groups. So-called "melting pot" countries seem to have more racial and ethnic strife.
    Yep that's it
    Ron Paul: "For those who have asked, I freely confess that Jesus Christ is my personal Savior, and that I seek His guidance in all that I do."

Even when the traffic was frozen by the quake, people still waited for the light to change before they tried to cross a street- even with the cars not even moving and it would have been completely safe to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Even when the traffic was frozen by the quake, people still waited for the light to change before they tried to cross a street- even with the cars not even moving and it would have been completely safe to do so.
    Like I said, a thousand years of feudalism that ended only in the past century has a huge effect on the mindset of people.
    "Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."-Étienne de La Boétie

Quote Originally Posted by kah13176 View Post
    I remember hearing something several years ago along the lines of Japan having the lowest number of shoplifting and robbery cases in the entire developed world. People from that country have a good sense of responsibility that shows through in their math and science performance, efficient labor force, and likely their notable longevity.

A larger portion of people from this country, on the other hand, tend to feel that they're "entitled" and "victims" and act accordingly by stealing, demanding welfare and government benefits, and general laziness.
    So true.
    It is sad but true that Americans in general are the most spoiled people on the planet as of now.
    Sense of entitledment ruined this country and will turn this country into toilet in the future unless we get a grip and turn back to liberty and prosperity.
    A Camel, Lion, and Child.

Quote Originally Posted by zippyjuan View Post
    even when the traffic was frozen by the quake, people still waited for the light to change before they tried to cross a street- even with the cars not even moving and it would have been completely safe to do so.

Source?

Quote Originally Posted by Vessol View Post
    Like I said, a thousand years of feudalism that ended only in the past century has a huge effect on the mindset of people.
    I'm calling B.S. on Zippyjuan's statement.
    Last edited by FrankRep; 03-13-2011 at 02:32 PM.
    ----

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Perhaps some of it is due to the fact that Japan has a low percentage of minority ethnic groups. So-called "melting pot" countries seem to have more racial and ethnic strife.
    Sure.
    And having David Duke as the president will solve all our problems, right?
    Seriously, don't bring Stormfront talking point into this forum since you are hindering Dr. Paul's chance in 2012.
    A Camel, Lion, and Child.

Supporting Member
    North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Imaginos View Post
    Sure.
    And having David Duke as the president will solve all our problems, right?
    Seriously, don't bring Stormfront talking point into this forum since you are hindering Dr. Paul's chance in 2012.
    You can ignore the fact that Japan is 99% ethnic Japanese, but to me it helps explain their social cohesion. It has nothing to do with David Duke or Stormfront. The world cannot be explained by economics alone, despite libertarian attempts to ignore social issues.
    Equality is a false god.

Japan is a society where you can put down a bag of groceries on the sidewalk, go away for an hour and come back to find it untouched.

-t

You can ignore the fact that Japan is 99% ethnic Japanese, but to me it helps explain their social cohesion. It has nothing to do with David Duke or Stormfront. The world cannot be explained by economics alone, despite libertarian attempts to ignore social issues.
    Is there no rioting, looting, or crime in white parts of the US?
    Ron Paul: "For those who have asked, I freely confess that Jesus Christ is my personal Savior, and that I seek His guidance in all that I do."

Ethnic and, above all, cultural cohesion (one could say this 2 often walk hand-in-hand) play a major role no doubt. This and the fact that Japanese society always had to live with natural disasters (if this was bad imagine the one that happened 140 years ago).

No racism here, in fact 1 Malcolm X is worth 1 trillion David Duke´s.
    “The Bible says that the wealth of the wicked is stored up for the righteous. It is high time that we have top Christian businessmen, businesswomen, bankers, you know, who are men and women of integrity, running the economics of our nations. That’s what we are waiting for. - Pastor Thomas Muthee (Palin personal friend), Wasilla Assembly of God (2005)

(Disclaimer: Obviously the forum owners dictate the rules but if it depends on me you are allowed to insult me in any way, shape or form.)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackTerrel View Post
    Yes, but they accomplish it using lawyers, so it appears less unseemly.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

Much less compared to more "Diverse" parts of America.
    Last edited by SanjaySingh; 03-22-2011 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Imaginos View Post
    So true.
    It is sad but true that Americans in general are the most spoiled people on the planet as of now.
    Sense of entitledment ruined this country and will turn this country into toilet in the future unless we get a grip and turn back to liberty and prosperity.
    A guy with the Aleister Crowley saying talking about liberty?!? AHAHAHAH!!

Dude you keep jumping from one disaster to the other.

Nietzsche was a psychotic, cultural subverter, a filthy woman-hating masculine-homosexual PEDERAST at the service of the New World Order. The spanish anarchist you had there was part of yet another movement created by the New World Order...and now Crowley. You are hysterical dude!

Crowley was a cultural subverter, a pederast that OPENLY encouraged raping little boys in his whole "sex magik" crap in order to convert them to homosexuality, he was a member of the british intelligence and he even played a role in the Lusitania false flag attack and he also helped to found many "mini Skull and Bones" types of secret societies were the New World Order recruit many of their agents. He also played a major role in the commie-hippie movement (Beatles has him on the cover of one of their Albuns) and i could go on and on...

Really, stop trying to be "alternative" and "counter-culture" and "intellectual" and "underground" and "different" and all that crap. It makes you worship PEDERASTS at the service of the New World Order.

That is so lame dude...hihihihi...
    Last edited by 00_Pete; 03-13-2011 at 08:08 PM.
    “The Bible says that the wealth of the wicked is stored up for the righteous. It is high time that we have top Christian businessmen, businesswomen, bankers, you know, who are men and women of integrity, running the economics of our nations. That’s what we are waiting for. - Pastor Thomas Muthee (Palin personal friend), Wasilla Assembly of God (2005)

(Disclaimer: Obviously the forum owners dictate the rules but if it depends on me you are allowed to insult me in any way, shape or form.)

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    North Carolina

Don’t try race-baiting me. I never mentioned white people.
    Equality is a false god.

Yep, this seems to be the part that many libertarians willfully overlook. Culture matters. People matter. I can never understand how many here buy into the whole Leftist thinking of cultural and moral relativity. Libertarianism only works if the people are good and moral.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Kay View Post
    Yep, this seems to be the part that many libertarians willfully overlook. Culture matters. People matter. I can never understand how many here buy into the whole Leftist thinking of cultural and moral relativity. Libertarianism only works if the people are good and moral.
    Yep. And that is the main obstacle to libertarianism really. Also one of the reasons of my tyrade against "Imaginos" and his Aleister Crowley CRAP.

Rothbard and von Mises were very "conservative" on all cultural aspects. Rothbard called this Libertarians the "Modals".

KULTURKAMPF! http://www.lewrockwell.com/rothbard/ir/Ch53.html
    Last edited by 00_Pete; 03-13-2011 at 09:06 PM.

Both Vessol and Rifleman are correct.

That said, I'd just as soon risk the crime or social upheaval, than trade it all for an authoritarian quasi-police state like Japan.

Then again, I realize the absurdity of that statement as soon as I typed it.

We're just as authoritarian and "police statish" as Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Vessol View Post
    What else do you expect from one thousand plus years of feudalism?

As much as they can be merited at being an orderly society, Japanese society is also very much anti-individualist and puts the needs of the many always before the needs of the few.. There's a reason why Japan also has the highest suicide rate in the industrialized world.

Edit: At least they are not mass killing Koreans, like in 1923..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1923_Gr...nic_minorities

Firstly, I would like to say some are being a bit unfair to "rifleman" because he is correct in saying that having many different cultural, racial, and religious groups in proximity to each other can and does at times create problems.
    the second thing I would like to point out is that inner-city america is NOT "boyz in the hood" or a Tupac video. Im from a section of dallas that is90% black/hispanic, and while south oak cliff does have crime, drugs, etc.............most people that stay there are not gonna rob you, rape you, "buss a cap in yo azz" or throw gang signs at you........and that INCLUDES the criminal element. yes, in neighborhoods like the cliff you got gangbangers, crackheads and sex offenders, but you also got dishwashers, truck drivers, mechanics, teachers, preachers, and students too.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce leeroy View Post
    Firstly, I would like to say some are being a bit unfair to "rifleman" because he is correct in saying that having many different cultural, racial, and religious groups in proximity to each other can and does at times create problems.
    the second thing I would like to point out is that inner-city america is NOT "boyz in the hood" or a Tupac video. Im from a section of dallas that is90% black/hispanic, and while south oak cliff does have crime, drugs, etc.............most people that stay there are not gonna rob you, rape you, "buss a cap in yo azz" or throw gang signs at you........and that INCLUDES the criminal element. yes, in neighborhoods like the cliff you got gangbangers, crackheads and sex offenders, but you also got dishwashers, truck drivers, mechanics, teachers, preachers, and students too.
    Shh, let the middle-class suburbanite white nationalists who seem to still try to sneak onto this forum, think that everything is relative the melatonin in your skin.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast