Thread: Night watchman state

Night watchman state

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_watchman_state

A night watchman state, or a minimal state, is a form of government in political philosophy where the government's responsibilities are so minimal they cannot be reduced much further without becoming a form of anarchy. The responsibilities in a hypothetical night watchman state would include the police, judicial systems, prisons and the military, the minimum allegedly required to uphold the law, which is limited to protect individuals from coercion and theft, to remove criminals from society, and to defend the country from foreign aggression. The term night watchman state was coined in 19th century liberalism, and is a metaphor for a state that "sleeps" (i.e., refrains from getting involved in citizens' lives) until someone's civil liberties are infringed.

The view proposing a minimal state is known as minarchism, and is a core part of the libertarian ideology. Minarchists propose to enforce a night watchman state with a clearly-defined constitution on the government's powers, and may also see it necessary to ensure the constitution cannot be amended after adoption.
    How can a judicial system act as an executive branch? Where's the legislative branch? I like the idea of a Night watchman state, I just don't understand how a judicial system can govern as an executive branch. Where's the government? Who declares war? lol. I think maybe this wikipedia page needs changing.... a bit too specific? Makes no sense to me.
    Last edited by JosephTheLibertarian; 10-24-2007 at 01:25 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.