Thread: SuperMoon On Its Way

SuperMoon On Its Way

March 19th, the moon will be closer to earth than in 18 years. Its brightness is predicted to be unparalled. Didn't know for sure where to post this. it may have profound effect depending. Past events have had some severe consequences.
    http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/ast...ause-chaos.asp
    Last edited by hillbilly123069; 03-06-2011 at 04:03 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hmmm......I keep hearing the date of March 15th as something going to happen with the planet. Now the moon is going to be closer than in a good while? Dunno about you all but Im hunkering down on the 15th just in case and watching my ass for the following week.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Hmmm......I keep hearing the date of March 15th as something going to happen with the planet. ...
    Caesar:
    Who is it in the press that calls on me?
    I hear a tongue shriller than all the music
    Cry "Caesar!" Speak, Caesar is turn'd to hear.

Soothsayer:
    Beware the ides of March.

Caesar:
    What man is that?

Brutus:
    A soothsayer bids you beware the ides of March.

Caesar is about to be slain.

AND our local moon man reckons there will be another major earthquake in Christchurch on 20th March because of moon, king tides etc.
    Where has that Weatherbill gone when you need him?
    The world does not consist of a throng of geniuses. WilliamBanzai7

So, Japan earthquake... coincidence?

Im still digging on a report that supposedly is circulating Russian admins. It states that through satelite observations of the magnetic field over the US, the USGS russian counterparts placed the western and central US under a massive quake warning. Most of what I have found is posted on this site.

I very clearly remember a close full moon just before Christmas in 1999. I was moving from NC at the time. It looked as if the sun never fully set the entire time.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    what a marvelous night for a moondance.
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws

The last 1 happened during hurricane Katrina.

Some interesting info from Discover magazine online: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/ba...se-earthquake/
    Despite what a lot of people are saying, there is no way this earthquake was caused by the Moon.

The idea of the Moon affecting us on Earth isn’t total nonsense, but it cannot be behind this earthquake, and almost certainly won’t have any actual, measurable effect on us on March 19, when the full Moon is at its closest.

So, how can I be so sure?

The gravity of the situation

Here’s the deal. The Moon orbits the Earth in an ellipse, so sometimes it’s closer to us and sometimes farther away. At perigee (closest point) it can be as close as 354,000 km (220,000 miles). At apogee, it can be as far as 410,000 km (254,000 miles). Since the Moon orbits the Earth every month or so, it goes between these two extremes every two weeks. So if, say, it’s at apogee on the first of the month, it’ll be at perigee in the middle of the month, two weeks later.

The strength of gravity depends on distance, so the gravitational effects of the Moon on the Earth are strongest at perigee.

However, the Moon is nowhere near perigee right now!

The Moon was at apogee on March 6, and will be at perigee on March 19. When the earthquake in Japan hit last night, the Moon was about 400,000 km (240,000 miles) away. So not only was it not at its closest point, it was actually farther away than it usually is on average.
    So again, this earthquake in Japan had nothing to do with the Moon.
    An article on Accuweather may be at the heart of this. The author repeats the claims of the astrologer I mentioned above, who links storms to the Moon. The article says:

There were SuperMoons in 1955, 1974, 1992 and 2005. These years had their share of extreme weather and other natural events. Is the Super Moon and these natural occurrences a coincidence? Some would say yes; some would say no. I’m not here to pick sides and say I’m a believer or non-believer in subjects like this, but as a scientist I know enough to ask questions and try to find answers.

But as I said before, the gravity of the Moon is strongest at perigee, and the Moon orbits the Earth once a month. There are actually 12 – 13 perigee every single year, so saying there was wild weather in a year when the Moon happened to be at perigee when it was full is meaningless. Unless the wild weather happened on the actual date of the "supermoon" then it must be coincidence, because on other dates the Moon was farther from the Earth!
    Mind you, there are tens of thousands of thunderstorms on our planet each and every day, and conditions which give rise to them can take days to build. It’s hard therefore to correlate any given weather system with the Moon.

And it gets worse. Like where the Accuweather article says this:

AccuWeather Facebook fanpage member Daniel Vogler adds, "The last extreme super moon occurred was on January 10th, 2005, right around the time of the 9.0 Indonesia earthquake. That extreme super moon was a new moon. So be forewarned…"

The problem here is that this is total nonsense. The huge Indonesian earthquake was on December 26th, 2004: fully two weeks before the Moon was at perigee. In other words, that earthquake happened when the Moon was nearly at its farthest from the Earth, minimizing its effect on us.

But back to weather: it’s caused by an incredibly complex interaction between the Earth’s rotation, the heat input from the Sun, the way the oceans and seas absorb and radiate heat, and a million other factors. If the Moon contributes in any way, it is very, very small compared to these other massive factors.

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 03-14-2011 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Some interesting info from Discover magazine online: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/ba...se-earthquake/
    I'm not sure how that can be claimed with a great deal of certainty. It sure wouldn't surprise me if gravitational forces played some role in such things. If the moon can pull high tide and low tides of waters, why could it not impact earthquake triggers? Perhaps this wasn't the moon at it's closest point ... but perhaps it was a close enough point to trigger plates to react a certain way.

I'd be interested to see a bunch of historical earthquake information outlined with earth/moon orbit information.

Quote Originally Posted by raiha View Post
    Caesar is about to be slain.

AND our local moon man reckons there will be another major earthquake in Christchurch on 20th March because of moon, king tides etc.
    Where has that Weatherbill gone when you need him?
    LOL... check this out: http://www.eutimes.net/2011/02/us-ea...-zealand-city/

US Earthquake Weapon Test Fails Again, Destroys New Zealand City

Quote Originally Posted by Bern View Post
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

The moon is at the same distance from the earth as it was at the time of the Japan earthquake at least once a month. It goes around the earth every day. If it's position was a factor then we have an equally likely potential for a similar quake every month.

Apparently this approaching moon is causing tides in places not normally visited by tides based on anecdotal messages elsewhere. If it can move that much water then I don't see how it couldnt be the straw that broke the camel's back with this earthquake. Hard to know for sure one way or the other.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

I also would like to do this research. "The moon isn't even closest to Earth" seems like a non-mathematical cop-out. If you think of the strength of the tides as a sine wave, when does there exist the most jerk (3rd derivative) from tidal motion? It's not at the peaks and troughs of the position of the moon - It's at the waxing and waning quarters, when the moon is at the mid-point of it's distance from the Earth.

The astronomers may be right and the "Supermoon" is insignificant, but it seems that their reasoning is wrong.
    "You cannot solve these problems with war." - Ron Paul

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bern View Post
    Yes, there is absolutely no scientific evidence for a connection between earthquakes and the position of the moon.

US Earthquake Weapon Test Fails Again, Destroys New Zealand City
    Dang! Just when we thought you were our mates! That will teach us for going nuclear free!

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Hmmm......I keep hearing the date of March 15th as something going to happen with the planet. Now the moon is going to be closer than in a good while? Dunno about you all but Im hunkering down on the 15th just in case and watching my ass for the following week.
    A bump for everybody to Beware the Ides of March!

According to this research data, the moon is starting to elongate in orbit. Reasons yet unknown. Not for the mentally challenged.
    http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/...102.0212v3.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly123069 View Post
    According to this research data, the moon is starting to elongate in orbit. Reasons yet unknown. Not for the mentally challenged.
    http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/...102.0212v3.pdf
    Hmm. Orbit changed by 9 times 10 to the minus 12th power. (0.000000000009) Barely measurable. (Curious also how they got that accurate of a measurement in the first place).
    The impact on the orbit of the earth from the Japanese earthquake was much greater (and even that was quite small).
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 03-16-2011 at 02:24 PM.

Maybe it will trigger an earthquake in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Stary Hickory View Post
    Maybe it will trigger an earthquake in Japan
    What it will actually do, is cause bubonic plague and unprecedented locusts.
    Well seriously, they reckon they could have a 7.00 and another tsunami. i wish they would evacuate those people in halls. I know the infrastructure is wrecked but can they not use the ports to ferry them away? Especially the children.

Another big quake has been predicted for Christchurch on the 20th March. It is quite sobering to image what Hillbilly told us about the last time the moon was this big, was the Katrina cyclone.
    I know most people here think astrology is bs, but Uranus is in Aries right now: unexpected events, revolution. Came in on the 11th and boy, are we getting our share.
    Last edited by raiha; 03-16-2011 at 03:33 PM.

Actually there was not an extreme Super Moon at the time of Katrina. According to the dates on Wiki for Super Moons:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermoon
    There are approximately 4-6 supermoons annually.[3] The following is a list of past and predicted extreme supermoons.[13][14]

November 10, 1954
    November 20, 1972
    January 8, 1974
    February 26, 1975
    December 2nd, 1990
    January 19, 1992
    March 8, 1993
    January 10, 2005
    December 12, 2008
    January 30, 2010
    March 19, 2011
    November 14, 2016
    January 2nd, 2018
    January 21st, 2023
    November 25, 2034
    January 13, 2036

Katrina formed August 26, 2005, was upgraded to Cat 5 on August 28th and hit land the 29th. The extreme super moon that year was all the way back in January. Last Super Moon was December 2008 and there were no unusual events which occured. The full moon for August 2005 occured on the 19th.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 03-17-2011 at 01:59 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

'Superest' Supermoon Full Moon of 2014 Rises Tonight:

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astro...moon-08072014/
    "The Patriarch"

Will make it kinda hard to see the Perseid Meteor shower this year. http://www.ibtimes.com/perseid-meteo...ermoon-1654208

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Will make it kinda hard to see the Perseid Meteor shower this year. http://www.ibtimes.com/perseid-meteo...ermoon-1654208
    Pre-dawn viewing yields the best results. In the northern hemisphere, stargazers should look towards the northeast to find the constellation Perseus.
    I'm a early riser, so I'll get a good view. Thanks for the heads up.
    "The Patriarch"