Thread: Amash votes "no" to prohibition of Dept. of Defense NASCAR ads; Paul votes "yes"

Amash votes "no" to prohibition of Dept. of Defense NASCAR ads; Paul votes "yes"

Roll call: http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2011/roll090.xml

From Amash's Facebook:

Here's the roll call for Amend. 50, which prohibits the Dep't of Defense from buying NASCAR ads. This amendment doesn't remove any line-item appropriation. It doesn't cut any funding. Instead, it singles out NASCAR as the ONLY entity ineligible for ads. The Constitution authorizes DoD to advertise, and the Rule of Law requires that legislation be of general, not specific, applicability. I voted no. It failed 148-281.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    You're not making the claim that there's no objective best diet, are you?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm liking Justin Amash. He is principled, even when it scares some people. He will use this as an opportunity to introduce a bill to ban any DOD advertising or something..
    CPT Jack. R. T.
    US Army Resigned - Iraq Vet.
    Level III MACP instructor, USYKA/WYKKO sensei
    Professional Hunter/Trapper/Country living survivalist.

I asked the following - we'll see if he responds:

Justin, quick questions - (1) Do you think it is proper for the DoD to advertise via NASCAR? (2) If not, this would be a similar situation to your Planned Parenthood vote, where you voted "Present" - correct? i.e. "I agree with the intended purpose of the bill but found that targeting a specific organization is contrary to the Rule of Law."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'd go with Amash on this one, as I want to keep an all volunteer force. If we implement a draft (which I would oppose), then I would vote to cut it!
    "And who the hell are you?" he asked. "Me?" said Galt. "I'm the driver."

He responded to my question:

Matthew, I do not think it is improper for DoD to advertise via NASCAR. We can still debate whether DoD should advertise more or less. That makes this vote different from the Planned Parenthood vote, where I unequivocally supported defunding that organization but had procedural/constitutional concerns about the amendment.
    I'm satisfied.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by malkusm View Post
    He responded to my question:

I'm satisfied.
    Hah, I can't even get a response from my Congressman's office. Amash responds to any citizen with a legitimate question personally and quickly.
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

Quote Originally Posted by Cowlesy View Post
    Hah, I can't even get a response from my Congressman's office. Amash responds to any citizen with a legitimate question personally and quickly.
    qft
    "And who the hell are you?" he asked. "Me?" said Galt. "I'm the driver."

I was one of the ones that raised concerns about Amash because I was not sure about his foreign policy. However, this dude has been straight up awesome. I agree with his votes and statements regarding PP and DOD/Nascar

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I have been very impressed with Justin Amash's communication on Facebook and his willingness to directly communicate with everyone. He explains his votes, which shows he doesn't have anything to hide. I think we'll see good things from him in the future.

Ok so why did Ron Paul for the other way, does he just have it out for the DoD
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    bump
    Last edited by dannno; 02-24-2011 at 06:51 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Maybe he's wrong

Smetimes people vote the wrong way or use different principles when voting. In think you'd have to see Ron Paul's response to know why he voted to not allow the DoD advertise on NASCAR. Would it be ok to advertise on cereal boxes or tv instead?

I think they just looked at things differently or maybe look at legislation (what's proper and what's not) with a different focus.

Ron uses a more absolutist approach - basically, he figures that the more restrictions we can put on spending, the better, due to the spending problem in Washington. Amash tends to cede the point that the specific legislation at hand, while it might go against his wishes for what Congress WOULD do with the money, might be completely Constitutional.

I don't mind the two voting differently on things like this, because they are both voting with the right goals in mind, and will ultimately vote the same way on the "big issues."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I get responses from my congressman/senators. But it's always a "I know better than you now hear my canned response on this issue" response.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Ron Paul voted for less spending. That's what he always votes for.

As he always says...he's all for comprimise as long as it's in the direction of less government.

Amash's vote is understandable in that it's like saying that the government can buy hamburgers from everyone except for Burger King. It unfairly plays favorites and the bigger question is, should the government be buying hamburgers at all. Ron Paul would be ok with voting down each burger joint one by one until there are none left to buy from.
    Definition of political insanity: Voting for the same people expecting different results.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwar View Post
    Ron Paul voted for less spending. That's what he always votes for.

As he always says...he's all for comprimise as long as it's in the direction of less government.
    1. As Amash points out in his Facebook post on the topic, this bill did NOT cut funding to the DoD in any way.

2. Government picking winners and losers (in this case, NASCAR) is a big government philosophy and is one of the worst ways government intrudes into our lives. There should be no compromise on it.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yeah, Justin is awesome. I've called my Congressman three times and emailed him twice and never got any response. I think I'll just write in my own name on the ballot the next time he runs.