Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reading list from Rand Paul's book (A libertarian's dream come true)

Thumbs up Reading list from Rand Paul's book (A libertarian's dream come true)

http://thewhitedsepulchre.blogspot.c...ding-list.html

* The Road to Serfdom, Friedrich A. Hayek
    * The Conscience of a Conservative, Barry Goldwater
    * Human Action, Ludwig von Mises
    * Conceived in Liberty, Murray N. Rothbard
    * Atlas Shrugged, Ayn Rand
    * The Revolution: A Manifesto, Ron Paul
    * End the Fed, Ron Paul
    * A Foreign Policy Of Freedom, Ron Paul
    * Meltdown: A Free-Market Look at Why the Stock Market Collapsed, the Economy Tanked, and Government Bailouts Will Make Things Worse, Thomas E. Woods Jr.
    * The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Great Depression and the New Deal, Robert P. Murphy
    * Broke: The Plan to Restore Our Trust, Truth and Treasure, Glenn Beck
    * Economics in One Lesson, Henry Hazlitt
    * Who Killed The Constitution?: The Fate of American Liberty from World War I to George W. Bush, Thomas E. Woods Jr. and Kevin R.C. Gutzman
    * The Constitution in Exile: How the Federal Government Has Seized Power by Rewriting the Supreme Law of the Land, Andrew P. Napolitano
    * Red State Uprising: How to Take America Back, Erick Erickson and Lewis K. Uhler
    * The Last Best Hope: Restoring Conservatism and America's Promise, Joe Scarborough
    * The New American Militarism: How Americans Are Seduced by War, Andrew J. Bacevich
    * Blowback: The Costs and Consequences of American Empire, Chalmers Johnson
    * Imperial Hubris: Why the West Is Losing the War on Terror, Michael Scheuer
    * Where the Right Went Wrong: How Neoconservatives Subverted the Reagan Revolution and Hijacked the Bush Presidency, Patrick J. Buchanan
    * Silent Night: The Remarkable Christmas Truce of 1914, Stanley Weintraub

Rand Paul's suggested Websites and Organizations:

* Cato Institute
    * The Heritage Foundation
    * Campaign for Liberty
    * Young Americans for Liberty
    * The Ludwig von Mises Institute
    * and several others

And finally, Paul lists several other people, thanking them for permission to quote from their original material. Included are:

* Peter Schiff
    * Matt Welch (of Reason magazine)

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Neocon heads explode!

Goldwater and Rand were lizards trying to destroy the rise of the "old right" and the most powerful libertarian books he could recomend are Antony C. Sutton books, but even if he read them he wouldnt dare to suggest them in public
    “The Bible says that the wealth of the wicked is stored up for the righteous. It is high time that we have top Christian businessmen, businesswomen, bankers, you know, who are men and women of integrity, running the economics of our nations. That’s what we are waiting for. - Pastor Thomas Muthee (Palin personal friend), Wasilla Assembly of God (2005)

(Disclaimer: Obviously the forum owners dictate the rules but if it depends on me you are allowed to insult me in any way, shape or form.)

Quote Originally Posted by 00_Pete View Post
    Goldwater and Rand were lizards
    do you mean that literally?

Quote Originally Posted by zade View Post
    do you mean that literally?
    Nooo They were Humans...bad Humans.
    “The Bible says that the wealth of the wicked is stored up for the righteous. It is high time that we have top Christian businessmen, businesswomen, bankers, you know, who are men and women of integrity, running the economics of our nations. That’s what we are waiting for. - Pastor Thomas Muthee (Palin personal friend), Wasilla Assembly of God (2005)

(Disclaimer: Obviously the forum owners dictate the rules but if it depends on me you are allowed to insult me in any way, shape or form.)

What?! No "Chaos Theory"? Rand's a sell out.

Dude: If RAnd does nothing but hold his own, this book by itself is worth it.

It's exactly the stuff the "Tea Party" needs to be reading.

Tracy
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=720941620
    http://www.myspace.com/anarkyisorder

Tracy

PS Please donate to our SD Liberty PAC and send as many Ron Paul delegates to Tampa from SD as possible.
    http://southdakotaforliberty.com/
    Like us on facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/South...74626939256447

Does anybody else, sort of feel like Rand is bridging the gap between the beltway libertarian crowd and the Lewrockwell/Mises crowd?

Tracy
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=720941620
    http://www.myspace.com/anarkyisorder

Tracy

PS Please donate to our SD Liberty PAC and send as many Ron Paul delegates to Tampa from SD as possible.
    http://southdakotaforliberty.com/
    Like us on facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/South...74626939256447

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by skyorbit View Post
    Dude: If RAnd does nothing but hold his own, this book by itself is worth it.

Tracy
    How do you know what's in the book? I thought it didn't come out until the 22nd.

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    How do you know what's in the book? I thought it didn't come out until the 22nd.
    it's in the bookstores already

these Rand and Ron reading lists are pure gold

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    Amazon has been selling the book since 2/11.

This book feels like Ron Paul's The Revolution with a history of how Rand won his Senate seat. I know I'm biased towards Rand's views but it's hard to see how a conservative could read this book and argue with Rand's logic on foreign policy. He uses a lot of quotes from prominent conservatives to show that his (and Ron's) views are not and should not be outside the mainstream.

Quote Originally Posted by MRoCkEd View Post
    http://thewhitedsepulchre.blogspot.c...ding-list.html

* The Road to Serfdom, Friedrich A. Hayek
    * The Conscience of a Conservative, Barry Goldwater
    * Human Action, Ludwig von Mises
    * Conceived in Liberty, Murray N. Rothbard
    * Atlas Shrugged, Ayn Rand
    * The Revolution: A Manifesto, Ron Paul
    * End the Fed, Ron Paul
    * A Foreign Policy Of Freedom, Ron Paul
    * Meltdown: A Free-Market Look at Why the Stock Market Collapsed, the Economy Tanked, and Government Bailouts Will Make Things Worse, Thomas E. Woods Jr.
    * The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Great Depression and the New Deal, Robert P. Murphy
    * Broke: The Plan to Restore Our Trust, Truth and Treasure, Glenn Beck
    * Economics in One Lesson, Henry Hazlitt
    * Who Killed The Constitution?: The Fate of American Liberty from World War I to George W. Bush, Thomas E. Woods Jr. and Kevin R.C. Gutzman
    * The Constitution in Exile: How the Federal Government Has Seized Power by Rewriting the Supreme Law of the Land, Andrew P. Napolitano
    * Red State Uprising: How to Take America Back, Erick Erickson and Lewis K. Uhler
    * The Last Best Hope: Restoring Conservatism and America's Promise, Joe Scarborough
    * The New American Militarism: How Americans Are Seduced by War, Andrew J. Bacevich
    * Where the Right Went Wrong: How Neoconservatives Subverted the Reagan Revolution and Hijacked the Bush Presidency, Patrick J. Buchanan
    * Silent Night: The Remarkable Christmas Truce of 1914, Stanley Weintraub

Rand Paul's suggested Websites and Organizations:

* Cato Institute
    * The Heritage Foundation
    * Campaign for Liberty
    * Young Americans for Liberty
    * The Ludwig von Mises Institute
    * and several others

And finally, Paul lists several other people, thanking them for permission to quote from their original material. Included are:

* Peter Schiff
    * Matt Welch (of Reason magazine)

Wow!!!!

+ 1
    “The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended.” -Frédéric Bastiat

Quote Originally Posted by AquaBuddha2010 View Post
    Wow!!!!
    The suggested reading list is one of the big reasons why I think this book will have such an impact on Kentucky politics (definitely national discourse as well)
    “The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended.” -Frédéric Bastiat

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Finished the book earlier today and I enjoyed it.

Nice to see him tout Ron so much...sounds like a primer for getting a 2012 run for Ron. :P

Quote Originally Posted by 00_Pete View Post
    Goldwater and Rand were lizards trying to destroy the rise of the "old right"
    I dislike the way Rand tied political libertarianism in with ethical egoism, such that many in the public now imagine libertarians to be a clan of heartless Ubermensches (or Ubermensch wannabes), and Atlas Shrugged is the best example of this. It is one of the only books on Rand's reading list whose inclusion I would object to- some good in there, but too much bad.

I have relatively little issue with Goldwater. He was a tad hawkish, and not a totally pure libertarian, but he was about as good as it gets in the Congress, at least for anyone with a surname other than Paul.

I'm surprised he didn't list Griffins The Creature from Jekyll Island.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
    I dislike the way Rand tied political libertarianism in with ethical egoism, such that many in the public now imagine libertarians to be a clan of heartless Ubermensches (or Ubermensch wannabes), and Atlas Shrugged is the best example of this. It is one of the only books on Rand's reading list whose inclusion I would object to- some good in there, but too much bad.

I have relatively little issue with Goldwater. He was a tad hawkish, and not a totally pure libertarian, but he was about as good as it gets in the Congress, at least for anyone with a surname other than Paul.
    Rand didn't even come up with ethical egoism, she ripped it from Max Stirner.
    School of Salamanca - School of Austrian Economics - Liberty, Private Property, Free-Markets, Voluntaryist, Agorist. le monde va de lui même

"No man hath power over my rights and liberties, and I over no mans [sic]."

What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty.

www.mises.org
    www.antiwar.com
    An Arrow Against all Tyrants - Richard Overton vis. 1646 (Required reading!)

Quote Originally Posted by low preference guy View Post
    Neocon heads explode!
    Yeah, same for this one:

Beck and Scarborough seem to be more political choices than really additions to the discussion, to me.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Does anybody else, sort of feel like Rand is bridging the gap between the beltway libertarian crowd and the Lewrockwell/Mises crowd?

Tracy
    Yes, I actually do. Just like Ron Paul was able to unite most Libertarian Party and Constitution Party fans under a single ticket, Rand Paul's delivery and prioritization is allowing both libertarian camps to work together instead of fighting each other.

At the same time, our more "fringe" ideas like ending the Fed are now becoming taken more seriously, which gives the "honest" but "pragmatic" among the Beltway crowd less reason to distance themselves from us. The dishonest panderers and fake libertarians who like their corporate welfare will always be our enemies, so we still have to watch our backs, but...in terms of the two libertarian bases, I think they've begun to converge.

Quote Originally Posted by hazek View Post
    I'm surprised he didn't list Griffins The Creature from Jekyll Island.
    According to gonegolfin/Brian Benton, our resident expert on the Fed, The Creature from Jekyll Island has some good historical discussion but a few factual errors/misconceptions about the Fed. It's still better than some of the grossly inaccurate and hysterical Youtube videos out there (which bring us under attack by "myth busters" like our dear friend dujac), but maybe Rand wants to be careful to maintain absolute credibility on a subject as important and treacherous as the Fed.
    Last edited by Mini-Me; 02-20-2011 at 10:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by President John F. Kennedy
    And we must face the fact that the United States is neither omnipotent nor omniscient. That we are only 6% of the world's population, and that we cannot impose our will upon the other 94% of mankind. That we cannot right every wrong or reverse each adversity, and that therefore there cannot be an American solution to every world problem.
    I need an education in US history, from the ground up. Can you help point me to a comprehensive, unbiased, scholarly resource?

Tracy
    yes

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mini-Me View Post
    but a few factual errors/misconceptions about the Fed.
    Like?

Like?
    I'm sorry, but I'm actually not familiar enough with either the text or the Fed to point them out myself. I have enough of a conceptual understanding to know what it's about and why it's insane/inherently and inevitably corrupt - certainly enough to take on trolls like dujac - but I could stand to do some more reading to fill in more of the specifics. I know Griffin tries to correct some of the most common myths, so that's good, but apparently some inaccuracies slipped through, according to gonegolfin. I'm just relaying what he said, since he knows a heck of a lot more than I do, and I believe he's shown himself to be honest, precise, and also a Fed opponent (Peter Schiff made two of his articles required reading for his reps). I know it's lazy to rely on someone else's word, but when their word is essentially "caution, and check the water depth before diving," I try to heed it by default. Anyway, I was just throwing it out there to explain why Rand's omission may be due to extra caution.

While we're on the subject though, I should mention something: If you want to really learn the monetary system inside and out - something I've been putting off for too long - I'd suggest reading gonegolfin's posts, articles (his name is Brian Benton), and the two documents he suggested to me:
    • Modern Money Mechanics
    • The Federal Reserve System - Purposes & Functions

The latter is a document written by the Federal Reserve...but it may have been one they would have preferred was never released into the wild. Neither actually make arguments against the Fed of course, but since you were posting in the other thread a lot, I thought they might interest you.
    Last edited by Mini-Me; 02-20-2011 at 12:04 PM.
    And we must face the fact that the United States is neither omnipotent nor omniscient. That we are only 6% of the world's population, and that we cannot impose our will upon the other 94% of mankind. That we cannot right every wrong or reverse each adversity, and that therefore there cannot be an American solution to every world problem.
    I need an education in US history, from the ground up. Can you help point me to a comprehensive, unbiased, scholarly resource?

Supporting Member
    North Carolina

That's a nice list. If you can get people to read, you definitely have a chance at changing their minds.

statist
    Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne,--
    Yet that scaffold sways the future, and, behind the dim unknown,
    Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above his own.
    ‫‬‫‬

Quote Originally Posted by Mini-Me View Post
    I'm sorry, but I'm actually not familiar enough with either the text or the Fed to point them out myself. I have enough of a conceptual understanding to know what it's about and why it's insane/inherently and inevitably corrupt - certainly enough to take on trolls like dujac - but I could stand to do some more reading to fill in more of the specifics. I know Griffin tries to correct some of the most common myths, so that's good, but apparently some inaccuracies slipped through, according to gonegolfin. I'm just relaying what he said, since he knows a heck of a lot more than I do, and I believe he's shown himself to be honest, precise, and also a Fed opponent (Peter Schiff made two of his articles required reading for his reps). I know it's lazy to rely on someone else's word, but when their word is essentially "caution, and check the water depth before diving," I try to heed it by default. Anyway, I was just throwing it out there to explain why Rand's omission may be due to extra caution.
    Interesting. Well I didn't read the book myself either but I did listen to his 2hour long presentation and nothing he said stroke me to be odd or non factional. Granted I also didn't do my own research and I'm relying on Griffins credibility, which I think he has, but still..

He even dispelled the often pronounced myth of the FED being a private bank which Griffin says is at best a half truth and is in fact a hybrid between a private bank and a government agency which makes sense if it is as he says a banking cartel in bed with the government.

But I guess he didn't go over everything he has in his book in that presentation so I could be way off too. I just thought in the grand scheme of things and his story telling which I think is pretty compelling it can't be a bad book.
    Last edited by hazek; 02-20-2011 at 12:02 PM.

Interesting. Well I didn't read the book myself either but I did listen to his 2hour long presentation and nothing he said stroke me to be odd or non factional. Granted I also didn't do my own research and I'm relying on Griffins credibility, which I think he has, but still..

He even dispelled the often pronounced myth of the FED being a private bank which Griffin says is at best a half truth and is in fact a hybrid between a private bank and a government agency which makes sense if it is as he says a banking cartel in bed with the government.

But I guess he didn't go over everything he has in his book in that presentation so I could be way off too. I just thought in the grand scheme of things and his story telling which I think is pretty compelling it can't be a bad book.
    In the grand scheme of things, I'm sure you're right. Even gonegolfin recommended it for the historical detail and exposition I think, just with the aforementioned caveat. I was just speculating that if there are inaccuracies and Rand knows about them, he might be doing everything he can to avoid any missteps against possibly the most powerful enemies in the world.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast