Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bachmann: Obama push to promote breastfeeding part of ‘hard left agenda’

Bachmann: Obama push to promote breastfeeding part of ‘hard left agenda’

http://iowaindependent.com/52513/bac...rd-left-agenda

U.S. Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) lashed out at First Lady Michelle Obama on Tuesday over her promotion of breastfeeding, particularly among black women, to curb obesity. On Laura Ingraham’s radio show, Bachmann said that Obama’s campaign — and an IRS change that makes breast pumps tax deductible — constituted a “nanny state” and that it was part of her “hard left agenda.”
    [...]

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Bachman is dumb. Shut up. The government WIC program supplies obesity causing fructose infected crap to low income mothers.
    Member of Ron Paul Forums Double Flat Tariff Only Society - Working towards eliminating all the foreign producer/outsource subsidizing internal federal taxes in favor of an across the board flat tariff applied equally to every country and every product.

Meh.

Bachmann may not be too far off base. This regulation of lifestyles is a hard left agenda.

Pretty soon, the government is going to be monitoring our weight and imposing penalties. You know its coming...

Breastfeeding is the most natural way to raise your baby. While i'm not in support of the government subsidizing certain ways of life, since they already do it to such a huge extent it's good when they actually do it in a way that promotes the health of a child. I'm glad they're making this cost deductible (taxpayers can keep a bit more of their stolen money). I'd be happy that they'd take it away if they got rid of the income tax or all the other deductions/credits/exemptions BS. I'd think most of you would support it just for the simple fact that it's a way for more people to keep more of their stolen money, anyways.

Bachmann's rhetoric on this is completely retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by AquaBuddha2010 View Post
    Meh.

Bachmann may not be too far off base. This regulation of lifestyles is a hard left agenda.

Pretty soon, the government is going to be monitoring our weight and imposing penalties. You know its coming...
    Like the right doesn't regulate lifestyle? Please. Left-Right are the same! Bachmann is a complete and total partisan hack and an authoritarian. No libertarian should support her. Work with her on issues where we converge? Sure, but support? HELL NO.
    Last edited by Austrian Econ Disciple; 02-19-2011 at 08:18 AM.
    School of Salamanca - School of Austrian Economics - Liberty, Private Property, Free-Markets, Voluntaryist, Agorist. le monde va de lui męme

"No man hath power over my rights and liberties, and I over no mans [sic]."

What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty.

www.mises.org
    www.antiwar.com
    An Arrow Against all Tyrants - Richard Overton vis. 1646 (Required reading!)

Quote Originally Posted by Austrian Econ Disciple View Post
    Like the right doesn't regulate lifestyle? Please. Left-Right are the same! Bachmann is a complete and total partisan hack and an authoritarian. No libertarian should support her. Work with her on issues where we converge? Sure, but support? HELL NO.
    LOL! I agree man!:collins: *ducks for cover*

She is definitely not consistent...but I don't think she is THAT off base with this one. Anytime she argues against the regulation of personal lifestyles, I will agree with her.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    How is this regulating lifestyle? Its a tax cut. Is Obama trying to make it mandatory to breastfeed?

Quote Originally Posted by ItsTime View Post
    How is this regulating lifestyle? Its a tax cut. Is Obama trying to make it mandatory to breastfeed?
    No. You are right. This is not a regulation (although it can be argued that using the tax code to influence behavior is indeed a regulation)

5 kids and brestfeed all of them...she is very womanly.

I like
    “The Bible says that the wealth of the wicked is stored up for the righteous. It is high time that we have top Christian businessmen, businesswomen, bankers, you know, who are men and women of integrity, running the economics of our nations. That’s what we are waiting for. - Pastor Thomas Muthee (Palin personal friend), Wasilla Assembly of God (2005)

(Disclaimer: Obviously the forum owners dictate the rules but if it depends on me you are allowed to insult me in any way, shape or form.)

Yeah I think this should not be a point of contention. Even Ron Paul believes in tax breaks. I would much rather it be a tax break across the board for no particular reason, but we should take what we can get.
    I am more and more convinced that man is a dangerous creature and that power, whether vested in many or a few, is ever grasping, and like the grave, cries, 'Give, give.'

Abigail Adams

Palin started this and it backfired now it appears Bachmann is trying to get in on it too. Ignore them both, it is the best method.

Ignore the dumb bitch. My mom sees these black kids in her office all the time and a lot of times their mom complains that the kid refuses to eat.... my mom looks at the child and finds he's overweight and tells the parents your kid isnt eating because you're feeding him too much. They just roll their eyes. Also something like 90% of black people use baby formula that has like soy and other crap in it the kid shouldn't be eating. Also she's found they're barely off formula and they're feeding the kid mcdonalds french fries.
    Last edited by archangel689; 02-19-2011 at 10:31 AM.

Another obvious sign that she's bought and paid for.

Instead of discussing critical issues such as the Federal Reserve and the military-industrial complex, she's discussing tax-deductible breast pumps.
    Ron Paul let the cat out of the bag.

***Random Troll Analysis***Try Not to Engage With Trolls***
    itshappening: Incredibly naive with a hint of Alex Jonestown.
    compromise: Hilarious name states what it wants.
    AuH20: Self-righteous & insightful neocon. Smarter than you. Armed with a thesaurus.

***Honorable Mentions***
    Tpoints, Traditional Conservative, FreedomFanatic, TywinLannister, FreeHampshire, Giuliani was there on 911,
    RandRevolution

Bachmann's not the crazy one here. The question should be why is Michelle Obama poking her nose into peoples' breastfeeding habits in the first place. And manipulating the tax code for social engineering purposes is statism; what you're really doing is taxing parents who choose to use formula.

That's why taxes should be flat and why the Constitution stipulates that, "all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States." If that provision were actually obeyed it would prevent all such attempts at social engineering through the tax code.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by NYgs23 View Post
    Bachmann's not the crazy one here. The question should be why is Michelle Obama poking her nose into peoples' breastfeeding habits in the first place. And manipulating the tax code for social engineering purposes is statism; what you're really doing is taxing parents who choose to use formula.

That's why taxes should be flat and why the Constitution stipulates that, "all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States." If that provision were actually obeyed it would prevent all such attempts at social engineering through the tax code.
    Yes, that was my thought too...

Both sides of this argument are off base. Bachmann is a tool for making this out to be some outrageous, unheard of thing, when in reality it is more of a step in the right direction since it might take some people away from WIC and it will reduce taxes on a few. Obama is wrong for trying to shape society with selective theft.

Taxes are the same but on business on the personal income tax regimes there are things that don't get taxed at all and can get deducted such as donations.

Tax deducting something is definitely not rising taxing on another item and in any case screaming "hard left" like Bachmann is doing for such a trivial thing when she does not give a toss about the bigger scheme of things show what she is, a low class demagogue.

Well, the government shouldn't be involved, but MO has a right to her opinions on health issues. Still, Ron would vote for it, because it cuts taxes and he doesn't think those belong to the government, in any event.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

$#@!ing ignorant $#@!. I feel sorry for the people in her District.
    "Democracy, too, is a religion. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." - H.L. Mencken

Μολὼν λάβε

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." - William Pitt

Isn't Sunstein one of Obama's czars on regulations?
    `libertarian paternalism' what an oxymoron.
    Nudge: Improving Decisions About Health, Wealth, and Happiness [Hardcover]

Thaler and Sunstein develop an argument that is political - and is bound to cause heated debate. What they argue is that, in the face of our decision-making weaknesses, Governments and Businesses can help "nudge" us in the right direction. The elephant in the room can be benign.

They call their viewpoint `libertarian paternalism' and what they argue is that it would be a good thing for some gentle nudging of the citizenry in the right direction. As Thaler said recently in the New York Times: "In light of human limitations, Cass Sunstein and I argue for policies that we call libertarian paternalism. Although the phrase sounds like an oxymoron, we contend that it is often possible to design policies, in both the public and private sector, that make people better off -- as judged by themselves -- without coercion. We oppose bans; instead, we favor nudges."

http://www.amazon.com/Nudge-Improvin.../dp/0300122233

Quote Originally Posted by Legend1104 View Post
    Yeah I think this should not be a point of contention. Even Ron Paul believes in tax breaks. I would much rather it be a tax break across the board for no particular reason, but we should take what we can get.
    The problem is these types of tax cuts promote corporatism. This is more about an industry lobbying a government incentive then helping the people. Mama Obama just found a way to get paid to give the illusion of helping.

They basically take our money and then get payed off so they can bribe us with our own money.
    As long as you let government spend your money, they will always spend it on those who lobby for it over those who vote for it because they lied to you to get it, and they will spend it on those who best enable them to keep lying and spending your money.

I do think more moms and babies would be healthier from breast feeding. Sometimes it might be best to know when to shut up.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by akforme View Post
    The problem is these types of tax cuts promote corporatism. This is more about an industry lobbying a government incentive then helping the people. Mama Obama just found a way to get paid to give the illusion of helping.

They basically take our money and then get payed off so they can bribe us with our own money.
    You think the few companies that make breast feeding products are more powerful than the huge corporations making formula? I sorta doubt it.

Also, I'd venture that if a "conservative" said what Mrs. Obama said, the family values crowd would be in support.
    Last edited by specsaregood; 02-19-2011 at 11:59 AM.

Im just worried the effect vill backfire from spiteful people.
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    When Freedom is Outlawed, only Outlaws will have Freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    I do think more moms and babies would be healthier from breast feeding. Sometimes it might be best to know when to shut up.
    It would be healthier if no one ate McRib sandwiches. Should people be penalized directly by the tax code for doing so?

Quote Originally Posted by AGRP View Post
    Another obvious sign that she's bought and paid for.

Instead of discussing critical issues such as the Federal Reserve and the military-industrial complex, she's discussing tax-deductible breast pumps.
    That ^^^

Instead of ranting and raving about what Michelle Obama is doing (and regardless of all the smoke and hype, breast feeding is best, by far) maybe she should have been voting "NO" on PATRIOT Act extensions, if she was really serious about getting government out of people's lives.

Quote Originally Posted by AquaBuddha2010 View Post
    It would be healthier if no one ate McRib sandwiches. Should people be penalized directly by the tax code for doing so?
    Deducting pumps is not penalizing formula users.

Anyhow, the fact that she is making a fight about such a petty issue shows her true colors a lot..

I wonder if Palin and Bachmann got contributions from Nestle...
    Last edited by down-under; 02-19-2011 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    You think the few companies that make breast feeding products are more powerful than the huge corporations making formula? I sorta doubt it.

Also, I'd venture that if a "conservative" said what Mrs. Obama said, the family values crowd would be in support.
    What do you think WIC promotes? My grocery had to stop it because of all the formulas they forced him to buy that nobody ever bought.

I would support Obama's right to do it if she did it with her own money, or didn't use her power to promote one industry over the other with money that's not hers. If she used the right she does have, the 1st and spoke out about it then all the power to her.
    As long as you let government spend your money, they will always spend it on those who lobby for it over those who vote for it because they lied to you to get it, and they will spend it on those who best enable them to keep lying and spending your money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast