Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Israel: Iran sending warships to Mediterranean Sea

Israel: Iran sending warships to Mediterranean Sea

JERUSALEM: Iran is sending two warships into the Mediterranean Sea, Israel's foreign minister said on Wednesday, labelling the act a "provocation" the Jewish state cannot ignore for long.

"Tonight two Iranian warships are supposed to cross the Suez Canal into the Mediterranean Sea on their way to Syria," Foreign minister Avigdor Lieberman said, speaking at a conference of American Jewish leaders in Jerusalem.

Lieberman said Iranian warships cruising past Israel's coast was something that had not occurred for many years and was a "provocation that proves the self confidence and cheek of the Iranians is growing from day-to-day."

"To my sorrow the international community is not dealing with these repeated Iranian provocations," the hardline minister said, referring to a recent visit by Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to the Lebanese border with Israel.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/w...ow/7511192.cms

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Don't they have the right to use international waters and doesn't egypt have the right to let them through the suez canal if they want? I don't see how this is news-worthy, navies move their ships around the world every day..

And the fact that Israel now has permission to fly their war planes over Saudi Arabia ISNT a provocation?

Nor the fact that entire U.S fleets are often stationed in the Gulf?
    "Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."-Étienne de La Boétie

Israel has enough military power to blow half the middle east to all hell, not even counting their nuclear weapons. We put our warships onto every inch of the oceans.

Israel needs to stop being such a whiny pussy pandering to the sympathetic West and deal with it.
    "It is not enough these days to simply question authority. You must speak with it, too."
    -Taylor Mali

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Vessol View Post
    And the fact that Israel now has permission to fly their war planes over Saudi Arabia ISNT a provocation?

Nor the fact that entire U.S fleets are often stationed in the Gulf?
    This is what I am talking about!

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

If Israel feels threatened, sink them! I am sure if Israel was cruising around off the coast of Iran they'd sink them too.

God I am so sick of all these douchebags in the middle east.
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

Maybe I missed something. Why is sailing a ship a provocation?
    Ron Paul: "For those who have asked, I freely confess that Jesus Christ is my personal Savior, and that I seek His guidance in all that I do."

Quote Originally Posted by BlackTerrel View Post
    Maybe I missed something. Why is sailing a ship a provocation?
    Because Israel likes to hype up anything as much a sneeze coming from Iran.
    "Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."-Étienne de La Boétie

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There are more Israeli companies listed on the Nasdaq than there are USA companies. I think Nasdaq transactions are $100 billion per day or Nasdaq is worth $100 billion (not sure). Israel can fund itself anyway. Israel has the third most powerful armed forces in the world. They can take care of themselves. The US just doesn't want to deal with the chaos it would cause for all of our corporate interest in the region. We should just allow a free market, and allow the natural progression of things to occur. In no more than 2 days time, all would be settled in the middle east.

Some confusion on WTF is going on:

Mixed Signals from Egypt as Iranian Warships Near Suez Canal

Posted By Jason Ditz On February 17, 2011 @ 10:05 am

Financial markets are still scrambling to figure out what exactly is happening with respect to Iranian ship movements toward the Suez Canal. The two ships have been confirmed as a supply ship and a frigate, and are said to be heading to Syria, which prompted Israeli Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman to threaten war yesterday.

But today reports emerged that Egypt had canceled the crossing through their canal and was planning to block the ships. This was immediately followed by canal officials saying this was untrue. Mysteriously, they also said they had never even received requests for the ships to pass.

At the same time, Iran’s state media quoted a naval official confirming that the ships are en route, and he said that the Iranians had already contacted Cairo officials about it. They were said to have no objections.

The fact that they apparently didn’t tell canal officials about the crossing could speak to the lingering chaos in Egypt, which just last week saw a revolution and is now under control of an interim military junta ruling by edict.

This leaves an open question of what will happen when the ships arrive, and adds another level of uncertainty to what seems, on the surface, a pretty minor story that has been blown out of proportion by Israel’s bellicose foreign minister.

But perhaps the real story is the disorganized messages coming out of Suez regarding the crossing. With the canal such an important aspect of the domestic (and global) economy, the uncertainty about what is going on is likely not a good sign.

Iran can do whatever with a ship , who cares . If they provoke something there will be a price to be paid.

we have the unrest in north africa still

It's all called social engineering, sensitizing the ignorant public to their indoctrination.

It's a small frigate and a cargo ship... Love watching the 24/7 Israeli channel called FAUX/FOX NEWS and pointing out to viewers how it's all done.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Of course Israel is acting like Iran is smuggling nukes or whatever to Syria (Hezbollah) just to whip things up a little more. My first thought when this news broke last week was that Iran was testing the new Egyptian government to see if they're going to do Israel's bidding like Mubarak did.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    Don't they have the right to use international waters and doesn't egypt have the right to let them through the suez canal if they want? I don't see how this is news-worthy, navies move their ships around the world every day..
    Bravo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wildfirepower View Post
    There are more Israeli companies listed on the Nasdaq than there are USA companies.
    There are 59 Israeli companies listed on the NASDAQ, according to NASDAQ. That's out of 2,872. The US has 2,564 listed. There are more companies from the Cayman Islands than Israel.

http://www.nasdaq.com/asp/NonUSDownload.asp

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    its sounding like those iranian vessels are now getting near
    to where they can hear the wireless squawkbox traffic from
    the ultra~modern jet of the libyan tinhorn as he wings his way
    to chavez's invite in south america! events are on the march!

Israel and Iran have the right to bitch about each others maneuvers. End of story.

Iran is more of a threat, however. Israel is not the one talking about eliminating regimes, only nuclear facilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    When Freedom is Outlawed, only Outlaws will have Freedom.

Details on the frigate Alvand which may or may not enter the Suez Canal along with a supply ship. It was launched in 1968. As military ships go, not terribly significant. The symbolism for Iran will perhaps have more significance since they have not used the Suez Canal since the 1979 Iranian Revolution. They are said to be on their way to Syria for training.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110218/...anian_warships
    By SARAH EL DEEB, Associated Press Sarah El Deeb, Associated Press – Fri Feb 18, 3:58 pm ET
    CAIRO – Egypt has agreed to allow two Iranian naval vessels to transit the Suez Canal to the Mediterranean, a military official said Friday, ending several days of confusion over their planned passage, which Israel's foreign minister has labeled a provocation.

An Iranian diplomat has said the vessels were heading to Syria for training and that the request to move through the canal is in line with international regulations.

It would be the first time since Iran's clerical rulers came to power in the 1979 Islamic Revolution that naval vessels from the country have passed through the canal to the Mediterranean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian_frigate_Alvand
    Iranian frigate Alvand (Persian: الوند), a British-made Vosper Mark V class frigate (also known as Alvand class frigate), was commissioned in 1971 as part of a four-ship order and is the lead ship of the class and flagship of the Iranian Navy.

The ship was originally called Saam, named after the Saam class (which is named after Sām, a mythical hero of ancient Persia, and an important character in the Shahnameh) as it was the lead-ship. But after the Islamic Revolution the class was renamed to Alvand class, after the Alvand mountain-chain and so this ship, being the lead ship was renamed Alvand.

The ship is rarely seen outside the Persian Gulf nowadays, although it did join the Indian Navy's 'Bridges of Friendship', held in Bombay on February 17, 2001 to celebrate India's 50th anniversary as republic where in 60 Indian vessels and 24 foreign vessels (including Alvand) participated. Alvand appeared to be in good state despite being thirty years old.[2] In 2010 it participated in the 60th anniversary of the Sri Lanka Navy.
    Class and type: Alvand-class frigate
    Displacement: 1,100 tons (1,540 tons full load)
    Length: 94.5 m (310 feet)
    Beam: 11.07 m (36 feet)
    Draught: 3.25 m (10.5 feet)
    Propulsion: 2 shafts, 2 Paxman Ventura cruising diesels, 3,800 bhp, 17 knots
    2 Rolls Royce Olympus TM-3A boost gas turbines, 46,000 shp, 39 knots
    Speed: 39 knots max
    Range: 5,000 nm at 15 knots
    Complement: 125-146
    Armament: 4 x C-802 anti-ship missiles
    1 × 4.5 inch (114 mm) Mark 8 gun
    1 x twin 35 mm AAA, 3 x single 20 mm AAA
    2 × 81 mm mortars
    2 × 0.50cal machine guns
    1 x Limbo ASW mortar
    2 x triple 12.75 in torpedo tubes

Quote Originally Posted by juvanya View Post
    Israel and Iran have the right to bitch about each others maneuvers. End of story.

Iran is more of a threat, however. Israel is not the one talking about eliminating regimes, only nuclear facilities.
    Iran also doesn't talk about eliminating regimes. The "wipe Israel off the map" comment was a (intentional) mistranslation of Ahmedinejad saying that Israel will wipe itself off the map by continuing with it's current policies.

This Iranian warship already visited Saudi Arabia & Oman. Don't be suprised if it visits Turkey after Syria.

The only question I am focused on is, WHEN are we going to scale down our $$$ in ME interference?

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    Iran also doesn't talk about eliminating regimes. The "wipe Israel off the map" comment was a (intentional) mistranslation of Ahmedinejad saying that Israel will wipe itself off the map by continuing with it's current policies.
    I didnt say wipe off the map. The intentional was done by Iranian state media, so we know what their intentions are, thank you. It is very clear that he wants to remove the Jewish-led majority government and replace it with a Muslim-led majority government (as if we dont have enough already and cant spare some land for Jews). Iran wants to recreate the Persian Empire, by removing Israel and the US from power (the latter would not really be a bad thing).

I really have no problem Israel blowing Iran to hell and back. Just don't do it with weapons purchased from my taxes.

Slutter McGee

That's just it. I think that this is just to futher demonize Iran. My guess is that Israel is still counting on the relative ignorance of Western nations and to play off the fears that most Americans are expected to have of Iran

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slutter McGee View Post
    I really have no problem Israel blowing Iran to hell and back. Just don't do it with weapons purchased from my taxes.

Slutter McGee

yep and vice a versa.....just let them play and we can stay out of it.

problem is the weapons are already purchased with our money.....
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

imagine that all this would have been a moot point if we had not interfered from the beginning.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno

Quote Originally Posted by puppetmaster View Post
    yep and vice a versa.....just let them play and we can stay out of it.

problem is the weapons are already purchased with our money.....
    Cut losses and move on. :-\

Cut losses and move on. :-\
    wish we could buy them all the weapons back.......then move on!
    James Madison

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno

Iranian navy ships exit Suez Canal
    Naval vessels enter Mediterranean to head for Syria, a move that Israel condemns as a "provocation".

Two Iranian naval ships passed through Egypt's Suez Canal into the Mediterranean heading for Syria, a source at the canal authority told the Reuters news agency.

The ships entered the canal at 0345 GMT on Tuesday and passed into the Mediterranean at 3 1330GMT, the Suez Canal Authority source said.

"Their return is expected to be on March 3," the source said.

The two vessels, Alvand, a patrol frigate and Kharg, a supply ship, are the first naval vessels going through the canal since Iran's 1979 Islamic revolution, after which diplomatic ties between Egypt and Iran were strained.

Egypt's ruling military council, facing its first diplomatic challenge since taking power on February 11, approved the vessels' passage through the canal.

The Suez Canal cuts through Egypt and allows shipping to pass from the Middle East to Europe and vice versa without going around the southern tip of Africa. The canal is a vital global trading route and a major source of revenue for the Egyptian authorities.

Israel takes a "grave view" of the passage of the ships.

On Sunday, after a weekly meeting of his cabinet, Binyamin Netanyahu, the Israeli prime minister, denounced the ships' arrival in the region as an Iranian power play.

And last week, the prospect of the Suez crossing was described by Avigdor Lieberman, Israel's far-right foreign minister, as a "provocation" by Iran.

But an Iranian diplomat said that: "This will be a routine visit, within international law, in line with the co-operation between Iran and Syria, who have strategic ties.

"The ships will spend a few days in Syrian ports for training purposes, having already visited several countries including Oman and Saudi Arabia," the diplomat added.

The decision was a difficult one for Egypt's interim government as Cairo is an ally of the United States and has a peace treaty with Israel.

However, Egypt's official MENA news agency has reported that the request for the ships to transit the canal was granted because they were not carrying weapons or nuclear and chemical materials.

The 1,500-tonne Alvand is normally armed with torpedoes and anti-ship missiles, while the larger 33,000-tonne Kharg has a crew of 250 and facilities for up to three helicopters, Iran's official Fars news agency said.

LibForestPaul

I didnt say wipe off the map. The intentional was done by Iranian state media, so we know what their intentions are, thank you. It is very clear that he wants to remove the Jewish-led majority government and replace it with a Muslim-led majority government (as if we dont have enough already and cant spare some land for Jews). Iran wants to recreate the Persian Empire, by removing Israel and the US from power (the latter would not really be a bad thing).
    juvanaya , nominating his home to resettle Palestinians, how gracious of you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast