Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jason Chaffetz on Laurence O'Donnell

Jason Chaffetz on Laurence O'Donnell

He had Jason chaffetz on tonight and rightfully called him out for it. (nevermind of course all the democrats who voted for it.

Then he accused chaffetz of tax evasion for sleeping in his office and not reporting it to the IRS as a form of income. He may be onto something with that but spending all the time he did trying to grill Chaffet for something that is a relative non-issue I found ridiculous. I don't have a tube, maybe somebody can find one

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Here's a video but it isn't the whole interview. Just the tax part.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/lawrence-...in-his-office/

I felt bad for Chaffetz. O'Donnell almost made him cry.

edit:

The full interview:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540...33191#41633191
    Last edited by Zatch; 02-16-2011 at 10:37 PM.

I hate O'Donnell with a burning passion... almost as much as I hate Ed Schultz. Schultz always reminds me of a MSNBC version of Bill O Reilly.
    The Golden rule: Those that own the gold make the rules.

If We the People fail to independently audit Fort Knox, then how will we know the amount of Tungsten backing the FRN?

Someone needs to post the full interview.

To Lawrence O'Donnell

"Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

Chaffetz needs to learn how to say "$#@! Off".
    Libertarians - trying to improve the world through ideas and free markets rather than legislation and prisons.

Quote Originally Posted by Bman View Post
    Chaffetz needs to learn how to say "$#@! Off".
    Sounds like someone needs to tell Chaffetz to $#@! off.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheeJoeGlass View Post
    Sounds like someone needs to tell Chaffetz to $#@! off.
    I'm sure, but not for sleeping in his office and then not reporting it as earned income. Do you report your living arrangements as earned income? If so under what pretense.
    Libertarians - trying to improve the world through ideas and free markets rather than legislation and prisons.

lawrence o'donnel is just trying to make a name for himself. Unfortunately this appeals to far to many morons in the u.s

I would've just walked off the set.

I would've asked Larry O': I noticed that you're not eating ice cream right now. Will you report the additional income you obtained for not eating ice cream to the IRS? Do you do everything you can to make more money?
    Last edited by low preference guy; 02-16-2011 at 10:22 PM.

I just caught the tax-evasion part of the deal... Wtf was o'donnel trying to get at? Is there something in the tax code saying you must report where you stay and what you pay for stay while out of town on business? Because he's basically out of town on business and as far as I know is not required to pay for housing/room while out of town on business...

Only thing I would argue is how much extra electricity/etc... does he use while staying there, since it is on the taxpayers' dollar...

If o"donnel would only use that much energy on real liberty-effecting issues...

Last edited by daviddee; 08-26-2021 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddee View Post
    No. He got what he deserved.

Chaffetz is turning, quickly, into a scum bag.
    What?! I disagree with him on the Patriot Act thing, but he's pretty good on a lot of other issues.. and he's absolutely right about this one, who the $#@! cares if they sleep on the couch in their office?!

Edit: Chaffetz said he would have ultimately voted "No" on the Patriot Act as is, his vote was simply to get it to the floor so they could make changes.. Ron Paul, on the other hand, just wanted to sunset the provisions right there and then. That's good to know.
    Last edited by dannno; 02-16-2011 at 11:28 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What the hell is this guy's deal?

I would guarantee you that if John Boehner went up to him and said, "Hey, stinky, we need you to take a $50K a year pay cut to compensate for sleeping in your office." He would stop doing it that day...
    Boehner doesn't pay Jason's salary out of his pocket and can't set such rules.

1. He is paid (overpaid) $174K a year
    2. He chooses to stink up an office (that is the property of the people of this country) - Lincoln Bedroom?
    3. He benefits by doing this. The people of this country do not benefit from this.

So, he should stop touting it as a "great thing" of "fiscal responsibility" when he is merely milking the American people out of more money.

Want to impress me? Take a 50% pay cut...

I would guarantee you that if John Boehner went up to him and said, "Hey, stinky, we need you to take a $50K a year pay cut to compensate for sleeping in your office." He would stop doing it that day...
    They do have a locker room and showers for the reps to use.

He isn't costing the taxpayers one additional $#@!ing dime. Give me a break.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

So he saves on not having a water and laundry bill also.
    It means he shouldn't be stinky. I for one support frugality.

Last edited by daviddee; 08-26-2021 at 06:30 AM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We have a guy who has and who will continue to vote "No" on the Patriot Act as long as it is unconstitutional, a practicing fiscal and constitutional conservative, pretty good on military, is for another investigation into the events of 9/11..... and you are mad because you want him to pay more taxes?

What I think you're not considering is that his office is empty at night anyway.. it's not like somebody else is or could be using it to sleep, it's HIS office.. If he had an office with an attached bedroom and bathroom, then that would be built in to his W-2.. but no, he's camping out in his office.. that isn't nearly as nice as having your own actual place, it's a sacrifice. It doesn't cost anybody anything, I don't understand the problem.

no it's not costing us money.

of all the things wrong today you are worried about this? what a farce

An apartment/condo would cost $50K a year.

He is reaping $50K in fringe benefits... that he is not paying taxes on.

I am not endorsing the tax code, but he is doing this to chisel more money on top of his $174K salary. This is costing the US tax payers money.
    I'm pretty sure they're allowed to use their offices any damn time they want.

If he didn't use his office during the day, he would also save taxpayers money. Why aren't you demanding that?
    Last edited by low preference guy; 02-16-2011 at 11:50 PM.

Last edited by daviddee; 08-26-2021 at 06:30 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast