Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: foreigner donations?

foreigner donations?

I've read all over the internet that there are people from all over the world, Canadians, Australians, etc., who want Ron Paul to be our next president. What if someone (either myself or several of us) were to set up a website, like worldforronpaul.com or something, to accept donations from foreigners--to be used for unofficial grass roots support? Is that a legitimate idea? Are there any cons to this? Do you think it would help?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Legally I dont think there is any issue to this so long as its not directly related to the campaign itself. But im not entirely sure, good question though, I hope someone with 100% certainty can enlighten us though.

Quote Originally Posted by dmspilot00 View Post
    I've read all over the internet that there are people from all over the world, Canadians, Australians, etc., who want Ron Paul to be our next president. What if someone (either myself or several of us) were to set up a website, like worldforronpaul.com or something, to accept donations from foreigners--to be used for unofficial grass roots support? Is that a legitimate idea? Are there any cons to this? Do you think it would help?
    Unlike the Hillary campaign, nobody will be allowed to accept a foreign donation directly; might I suggest you look at some of the worthy grassroots groups of "soldiers" that are compiled here: http://ronpaulgraphs.com/chipin.html

Last edited by andrewgreve; 10-23-2007 at 09:27 PM.

Why do these threads seem to pop up every 2 weeks? Not only is such activity illegal, but it is not in keeping with Ron Paul's philosophy. He's against foreign intervention, and that includes influencing foreign elections. It really upsets me when I see Americans inviting foreigners to influence our own elections. It's so hypocritical. Permanent residents are allowed to donate like Americans but other than that it is illegal.
    We will win this...

There is no law against your going to tourist spots and American military bases in your own countries and campaigning to Americans. You could hold signs and hand out slim jims.

They can do the chip ins probably.

Quote Originally Posted by libertythor View Post
    Yeah, foreigners should just stick with doing all the chip ins for grassroots projects.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    when was the last time such interest from citizen of the world were for removing all world foreign aid, including what we may give them

Not that i care, i just find it ironic, but don't give to people to give, nor to the campaign, it will just have to be refunded. It is not legal.
    No one reads signatures.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewgreve View Post
    Plenty of foreigners are donating through American friends. I know because I have firsthand experience with this
    Me too, I encourage others to freely interact with their American brothers and sisters.

I would say the best way to get them involved would be to point them towards the Chip-in section of the Ron Paul Graphs page:
    http://www.ronpaulgraphs.com/chipin.html

Quote Originally Posted by Trassin View Post
    I would say the best way to get them involved would be to point them towards the Chip-in section of the Ron Paul Graphs page:
    http://www.ronpaulgraphs.com/chipin.html
    What's the story with Pay-Pal? I have never signed up for credit cards (49) and do not wish to. I do however have a direct debit card for tickets, hotels, airline etc. issued by my bank in Australia... I might have to make enquiries at my end.

Is Pay-Pal like a direct debit card? We have different terminology most likely. When I say "direct debit card", it means I can use it exactly as a credit card, but must have sufficient funds in my account at the time of purchase (donation).

Quote Originally Posted by andrewgreve View Post
    I've heard of foreigners who are donating through American friends.
    And they are violating federal campaign finance laws. You need to tell them not to do that.
    Last edited by foofighter20x; 10-24-2007 at 10:01 AM.
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free." -Göthe
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
    "Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure." - Robert LeFevre

Quote Originally Posted by libertythor View Post
    I'm not a lawyer (yet) but my understanding is that money from foreigners cannot go to the campaign, either directly or indirectly, and cannot go towards any radio or television spots, whether from the campaign or not.

Other than that, donate away.
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free." -Göthe
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

Not indirectly? Are you sure?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozwest View Post
    Not indirectly? Are you sure?
    Yes. I'm sure.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/ht...1---e000-.html

(a) Prohibition
    It shall be unlawful for—
    (1) a foreign national, directly or indirectly, to make—
    (A) a contribution or donation of money or other thing of value, or to make an express or implied promise to make a contribution or donation, in connection with a Federal, State, or local election;
    (B) a contribution or donation to a committee of a political party; or
    (C) an expenditure, independent expenditure, or disbursement for an electioneering communication (within the meaning of section 434 (f)(3) of this title); or
    (2) a person to solicit, accept, or receive a contribution or donation described in subparagraph (A) or (B) of paragraph (1) from a foreign national.
    Electioneering communication is a radio or TV ad.

(1) Says what foreigners cannot do.
    (2) Says it's YOUR ass if you get caught helping them.

Not only is it illegal, it WILL reflect poorly on the campaign when it gets discovered. Look at all the negative media Hillary got with that one dude.
    Last edited by foofighter20x; 10-23-2007 at 05:44 AM.

Geez... Here comes da man!

Yeah as an Australian I know not to donate money to the campaign and would never do so. I do have an American friend and i know he does, but not with my money.

I have however sold him a pillow full of love for $100 US dollars. He was allowed to do whatever he wanted with the money.

Quote Originally Posted by jacross View Post
    Yeah as an Australian I know not to donate money to the campaign and would never do so. I do have an American friend and i know he does, but not with my money.

I have however sold him a pillow full of love for $100 US dollars. He was allowed to do whatever he wanted with the money.
    My contacts are sleeping on lumpy pillows too. I'm sleeping soundly!

Geez... Here comes da man!
    Well, it's the American man not the Aussie man so what business is it of yours?
    We will win this...

Not sure I get your drift???

Foreign funding of Chip-Ins is awesome. That's the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefertiti View Post
    Well, it's the American man not the Aussie man so what business is it of yours?
    Please explain. I'm waiting...

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Not sure I get your drift???
    I think she said that you are the Aussie while I am the Yank Down Under.

What part of non-intervention do you fail to understand?
    We will win this...

Don't speak in metaphors, come out and say what you mean...

There are plenty of grassroots actions that need funding. Donate to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    There are plenty of grassroots actions that need funding. Donate to them.

No!!! It is illegal for foreigners to contribute regardless!!!
    Last edited by KewlRonduderules; 10-23-2007 at 07:28 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast